BBO Discussion Forums: other = convention card = profile - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

other = convention card = profile

#1 User is offline   LELP 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-23, 11:57

when faced with Profile for the first time I don't think it is obvious that Other is where you type your conventions. COuld it be renamed please ... to be clearer.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-23, 12:56

View PostLELP, on 2020-June-23, 11:57, said:

when faced with Profile for the first time I don't think it is obvious that Other is where you type your conventions. COuld it be renamed please ... to be clearer.

This field is not intended to be where you type your conventions. That’s what convention cards are for.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-23, 13:18

It is, however, what most people appear to use it for. Useful when you are sitting at random tables with random partners. It also gives a nice concise summary - who's able to read the opposition's convention card for pertinent information within the 50 seconds that BBO allows you before rattling your cage!

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-23, 13:26

There are (or were) also many people who play predominantly (or only) individual tournaments where the profile is the only possible guide.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-June-23, 16:52

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-23, 13:26, said:

There are (or were) also many people who play predominantly (or only) individual tournaments where the profile is the only possible guide.

I should’ve thought that the individuals would have a standard card posted.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-24, 09:03

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-23, 16:52, said:

Except for the "Express" tournaments, most individuals don't have a standard card.

Most people just "wing it".

#7 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-24, 11:51

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-23, 16:52, said:

I stand by what I posted yesterday.

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-June-24, 11:56

For what its worth, on those incredibly rare occasions when I do bother to play in an individual with humans, I don't bother to look at people profiles since

1. Just because someone lists a convention or bidding system doesn't mean that they know how to play it
2. Odds are that Center Hand Opponent will list tings that I don't and vice versa so there'm not any actual common ground
3. And isolated set of conventions does not a bidding system make
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-24, 14:48

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-June-24, 11:56, said:

For what its worth, on those incredibly rare occasions when I do bother to play in an individual with humans, I don't bother to look at people profiles since

1. Just because someone lists a convention or bidding system doesn't mean that they know how to play it
2. Odds are that Center Hand Opponent will list things that I don't and vice versa so there'm not any actual common ground
3. And isolated set of conventions does not a bidding system make

You could also add:
4. If I say X and he says Y it is not clear which I am following.

Nevertheless, what is written there is better than nothing I feel.
There is also other information like nationality and level which however unreliable is still worth knowing.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-June-24, 17:05

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-24, 09:03, said:

Except for the "Express" tournaments, most individuals don't have a standard card.

Most people just "wing it".

Yes, what I am saying is that individual tournaments should impose a standard card. This is the case in real bridge, after all.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-28, 23:24

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-24, 17:05, said:

Yes, what I am saying is that individual tournaments should impose a standard card. This is the case in real bridge, after all.

New England used to have an annual Individual Regional. It didn't impose a standard card. The usual practice was that at the beginning of each round the less experienced player in the new partnership would hand their partner the card that they play.

The only other live individual I've played in in recent years was my club's biannual individual. What we have is a card with a bunch of conventions in black that's the minimum system, and some conventions in red that are optional. The less experienced player usually says which of the red conventions they're willing to play.

A couple of decades ago there was an attempt to create a professional bridge tour in the US, where the games were all individuals. In that case they did impose a standard card, the ever-popular SAYC.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users