Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Goulash Tournaments

#1 User is offline   goldfolk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-14, 20:53

Is it me or the goulash tournaments getting a little too extreme. For example, I was playing in an individual tournament and in 8 of the 9 rounds one person held an 11 card suit.

It just seems to me that hands with 10 and 11 cards have little skill to them and the only factor operating is luck. Generally, given how quickly any competitive auction reaches the 5 level people with the 11 card suit tend to bid 6 or 7 and just hope that partner has the required cards.

Don't get me wrong I love goulash tournaments but the best goulash hands imho are the ones where judgement and skill are required so as not to get carried away and overbid. This to me means hands with 7 or 8 card suits where even making game requires help from partner and judging when to sacrifice and when you have pushed opponents too high already.

Just wondered what others feel on this topic.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-15, 03:22

BBO does not offer Goulash hand generation (unfortunately), so it is really up to Tournament Directors how extreme the hands are and how they are sourced. Some historic free Goulash tournaments have had to reschedule and/or are hopelessly over-subscribed, so maybe you were used to milder Goulash than is currently being served by others.

FWIW, as a Goulash player I prefer a mix, with some extreme hands and some closer to everyday. All require judgement and skill I feel.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-15, 19:29

As an intermittent goulash player I find I get my best results if I treat every hand like an ordinary bridge hand. Problems arise when others get carried away. Bridge is bridge. Luck is other people making mistakes.
Non legit hoc

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users