BBO Discussion Forums: Upcoming changes to BBO procedure - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upcoming changes to BBO procedure Loss of TD rights

#61 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-15, 15:17

gentgiant, on 2020-August-15, 14:27, said:

BBO is obviously using the Covid-19 Pandemic to monetize every quarter of the site, they can manage. In a very short time, the opportunity will fade as the clubs go back to F2F.

Yes

I think that BBO is shooting themselves in the foot.
I think that the new management sucks.

I am taking the money that I used to spend on BBO bucks and feeding it to the Bridge Hackathon instead

I look forward to the day that I migrate off the platform that I really used to love
Alderaan delenda est

#62 User is offline   Tonyfrench 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-20, 08:56

gentgiant, on 2020-August-15, 14:27, said:

How naive. Have you seen the EBU communication? It does not refer to its own Team Leagues or Club leagues where charges are made.

But Club Leagues that require, effectively, a TD who can run multiple Teams matches concurrently. A privilege that is not available to ordinary BBO members. Clubs that do not currently charge.

BBO is obviously using the Covid-19 Pandemic to monetize every quarter of the site, they can manage. In a very short time, the opportunity will fade as the clubs go back to F2F.

I assume that the EBU (and other NBOs?) are comfortable with the new structure and believe it will migrate (force) club league teams to the EBU (NBO) team league/s. For my part I run a very small club league and charge a modest (VERY MODEST) amount per team to cover EBU fees, league scheduling, support and some directing and/or hosting. I don't want to hide this and am, in theory, of the opinion a small fee per match may be reasonable for BBO to levy for use of it's platform. However we play 8/10 board matches and the original fee suggested far far far exceeds the small revenue we recover and drawfs compensation for the resource use. The fee per table even exceeded that for a full club session, it has to be at least twice anything vaguely reasonable!

As I said I am of the opinion BBO should be entitled to receive a fee for services it provides..... to commercial ventures for sure..... but profiteering and/or overcharging will kill the golden goose. People will not pay more than something is worth long term, people do not like to feel ripped off and there are options.

I believe the elephant in the room is that some users may abuse and overuse free 'rights' for payments, considering we are concerned with a partnership game the word partnership doesn't seem to be fully understood by all concerned.

#63 User is offline   wnt53 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (obviously); Genealogy; Web 2.0; Italy; Rugby Union; F1;

Posted 2020-August-26, 03:31

diana_eva, on 2020-July-31, 05:28, said:

BBO will not cease free tournament permissions on August 1st. We will cease them at some point, not very far away in the future, but not without some reasonable heads-up warning.

We have not finalized the procedures to help existing free tourney hosts organize their online activity going forward. I apologize for the less than perfect communication on this subject.

What we do know is the following:

Going forward, permission to create tournaments on the BBO platform will be a pay service.

NBOs get better terms and conditions than singular non-affiliated individuals and business. So if you're a club affiliated to an NBO that already has a virtual club system on BBO, it will be cheaper to enroll as a virtual club than continue as an autonomous entity.

There will be three types of payment models:

1. For small free tourneys limited to max 20 tables, one at a time (ie what most free tourney hosts have now) a small monthly fee, offered as a subscription service. This is the part that we're still working on, sorry.
For people who need more than 20 tables and/or more than one tourney at a time, they can
2. run pay tournaments with a BB$ entry fee, where players pay their own entry fees in BB$ and BBO gives the club their earnings at the end of each month (after taking a %)
3. run their tournaments free of charge on BBO, and pay a fix fee per table to BBO. This is convenient for clubs, pros and business who already have their own payment processing implemented, and have the ability to charge their players offline.

The monthly subscription is not available yet, we hope to finalize it soon. Once this is finalized we will proceed to announce all affected players and eventually stop the free tourney permissions for the people who are not in the categories of free hosts mentioned below.

The other two types of payment models are available (BB$ or fix table fee), and you can reach us at tournaments@bridgebase.com to express your preference over one or the other.

A few clarifications:

Long time online hosts who have been organizing free tourneys on BBO for years, and are not affiliated with live business, clubs, bridge orgs, etc. continue to have the ability to run free, unlimited games, just like they always had (thing of BBO Hornets, or bbo clubs like the IAC, Acol, etc. ) I'm surprised to see nobody mentioned this, but we have reached out to a few hundred long time hosts and users, since the end of June, and offered them a way to continue their activities as usual, free of charge. Maybe everyone thought this was secret :)

If you are doing junior training, bridge in schools, charity events or any bridge activity where commerce should not be involved (eg kids), you can contact us and we'll give you permission to do it for free. NBOs already have their own junior and training programs and special accounts with access to free unlimited games, so if you are doing it for NBO training purposes you can simply ask your NBO to give you access to their Youth / JR account, or have them set up some extra JR training accounts for you.

Bridge clubs, organizations, associations, pros, teachers, and entities that normally charge a fee to their players in order to let them play or organize a tournament for them, will be asked to enter a commercial agreement with BBO going forward, as their activities are of commercial nature.
diana_eva is there any update on what's planned?

#64 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-August-28, 05:31

Same plan as before.

We're working on a monthly subscription for hosts and clubs who wish to continue creating small free tourneys of max 20 tables.

For those who need bigger tourneys, they can verify if their NBO already has a virtual clubs program and obtain a virtual club account from them, or send an email any time to tournaments@bridgebase.com where they can opt for one of the two payment models available (BB$ entry fees or fix fee per table).

#65 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-28, 06:26

diana_eva, on 2020-August-28, 05:31, said:

Same plan as before.

We're working on a monthly subscription for hosts and clubs who wish to continue creating small free tourneys of max 20 tables.

What does "a monthly subscription" mean?

In particular, will there be a charge associated with it?
Alderaan delenda est

#66 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-August-28, 07:17

hrothgar, on 2020-August-28, 06:26, said:

What does "a monthly subscription" mean?

In particular, will there be a charge associated with it?

Yes, it's a pay subscription.

#67 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-28, 10:36

diana_eva, on 2020-August-28, 07:17, said:

Yes, it's a pay subscription.

This is very different than the claims that were made about BBO policies at the beginning of this thread.
Alderaan delenda est

#68 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-28, 16:26

hrothgar, on 2020-August-28, 10:36, said:

This is very different than the claims that were made about BBO policies at the beginning of this thread.

Looking at quote from BBO in post #1, I think this is consistent with what BBO originally said.

As of July 1st, 2020, the requirements for allowing users to create free tournaments on the BBO platform will change.

After August 1st, be sure we'll offer solutions to address your needs, regardless of which type of tournament or event you wish to organize on our platform.

It was clear to me that BBO was planning to charge tournament organizers in some way, either a monthly fee, or some per game fee. This is entirely consistent with their increases in fees for robot tournaments, and the amounts they are charging for "charity" and SYC, etc. games.

#69 User is offline   Capt_Ravi 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-August-29, 02:40

Same plan as before.

For those who need bigger tourneys, they can verify if their NBO already has a virtual clubs program and obtain a virtual club account from them, or send an email any time to tournaments@bridgebase.com where they can opt for one of the two payment models available (BB$ entry fees or fix fee per table).

Hi Diana,
When do you expect to start this subscription service please?

#70 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-29, 07:40

hrothgar, on 2020-August-15, 15:17, said:

I think that BBO is shooting themselves in the foot.

Everyone gets this wrong. The phrase originally meant to shoot oneself deliberately to get out of fighting. But nobody remembers that.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#71 User is offline   SaintQ 

• Pip

Posted 2020-August-30, 05:37

Same plan as before.

The monthly subscription fee will work if players do not have any or very very few free tournaments - I guess the monthly subscription would mean current "free" tournaments are also likely to be stopped.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users