BBO Discussion Forums: Upcoming changes to BBO procedure - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upcoming changes to BBO procedure Loss of TD rights

#21 User is offline   m00036 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 2018-June-25

Posted 2020-June-26, 12:12

View Postwnt53, on 2020-June-25, 21:55, said:

Had an update from BBO yesterday So, we wait with bated breath...

Interesting... it seems that volunteers that run free tournaments will now need to pay to volunteer. Normally the process works the other way round :) I understand why BBO are doing it but it also seems like such a waste of a fantastic resource that they have built up. I ran a free league over a month last year which attracted a range of different players, none of whom I had ever seen before or seen afterwards, and they all logged on to join this random game just because they liked the format of tournament and the attentive style of directing. I ran the league because I loved the fact I was helping people, but there is no way that I would be willing to pay to volunteer, especially since BBO have now started paying people to direct their own tournaments! Paid directors also tend to have less invested in the competition so the standard of directing is lower (better from a laws perspective but worse from an amicable perspective).

BBO would be better off reaching out to current directors of free tournaments and invite them to host BBO-branded events; The reduction in director fees can then help keep as many tournaments free for the end user. The pandemic is not going to stick around; BBO have a lot to lose if they change their fee structure and demand goes back to what it was before.
1

#22 User is offline   Rfulrabbit 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 2020-June-18

Posted 2020-June-27, 05:12

Since the pandemic, free games were filling up too fast. Sometimes, if you sign up 30 minutes or more in advance, you find that casual partner gone.

So I started setting games for people like me who did not have 40 minutes to wait, and I usually get 15 to 18 tables.

These are random players and my games are open to all.

It is economically unlikely that I would pay to host games.

Also many players around the world simply cannot afford paid games, even more so since the rise in unemployment since the pandemic. Likewise volunteer directors would be in the same position.
0

#23 User is offline   m00036 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 2018-June-25

Posted 2020-June-27, 15:44

View PostRfulrabbit, on 2020-June-27, 05:12, said:

Since the pandemic, free games were filling up too fast. Sometimes, if you sign up 30 minutes or more in advance, you find that casual partner gone.

So I started setting games for people like me who did not have 40 minutes to wait, and I usually get 15 to 18 tables.

These are random players and my games are open to all.

It is economically unlikely that I would pay to host games.

Also many players around the world simply cannot afford paid games, even more so since the rise in unemployment since the pandemic. Likewise volunteer directors would be in the same position.

Exactly, similarly most of my free tournaments are at random times and I'm only prepared to wait 5 minutes or so before wanting to start the tournament. In that amount of time, I can comfortably get to 60, 70 or 80 players, even with 70% TCR set (for example). I had the opportunity to see a new software package with integrated audio and webcams at a normal bridge table (in all other respects it was similar to BBO but with its own interface), so BBO will not be the only competitor in this market anymore (indeed it already competes with Funbridge which lacks user interaction but benefits from a better interface); It would be more sensible to build on its unique features (i.e. its currently loyal members) as opposed to giving people reasons for looking elsewhere.
0

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,085
  • Joined: 2009-September-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 2020-June-27, 19:07

View Postm00036, on 2020-June-27, 15:44, said:

Exactly, similarly most of my free tournaments are at random times and I'm only prepared to wait 5 minutes or so before wanting to start the tournament. In that amount of time, I can comfortably get to 60, 70 or 80 players, even with 70% TCR set (for example). I had the opportunity to see a new software package with integrated audio and webcams at a normal bridge table (in all other respects it was similar to BBO but with its own interface), so BBO will not be the only competitor in this market anymore (indeed it already competes with Funbridge which lacks user interaction but benefits from a better interface); It would be more sensible to build on its unique features (i.e. its currently loyal members) as opposed to giving people reasons for looking elsewhere.


Funbridge and BBO are owned by the same people, so it is not clear that the former will remain a competitors for market share.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein
0

#25 User is offline   m00036 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 2018-June-25

Posted 2020-June-28, 06:54

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-27, 19:07, said:

Funbridge and BBO are owned by the same people, so it is not clear that the former will remain a competitors for market share.

Ah of course you're quite right. It's interesting how the interfaces can be so different! If the platforms could be combined in some way then it would produce a very polished product, suitable at least for causal games if not competitive.
0

#26 User is offline   DarrenE 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 12
  • Joined: 2010-April-14

Posted 2020-June-29, 13:44

I am running many free tournaments and will start charging a small subscription form August. I have emailed BBO to ask how we might contribute something, but have not yet had a reply. I do not want to deal with pay per session fees.
0

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,305
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2020-July-01, 10:23

The first of July is here. Are the proposed new terms and conditions available to read somewhere?
0

#28 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 19,951
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted Yesterday, 18:06

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-22, 10:17, said:

Maybe you didn’t see the comments bout clubs who are hosting free games and collecting entry fees in another way.

Some of these have made special arrangements with BBO management, and they are paying us for the right to do this.

We've also discovered some people doing this without such an arrangement, and we've been taking away their hosting rights.

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users