• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finding an Online Teacher

#1 User is offline   bvanv 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-15, 13:42

Hi,

The quarantine has provided a chance for my mom and myself to start playing online with each other, my job keeps me at home now and she can't play with her local clubs. While she is an advanced bridge player, I've learned she might not be the best teacher. While I found the bridge teacher location search, I wasn't able to search for a teacher that would be proficient teaching beginners online (distance just doesn't matter). What would be the best source for a BBO proficient teacher? And what type of screening questions would you ask if you were a beginner?

Thanks in Advance!
Brandon

#2 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-30, 02:37

View Postbvanv, on 2020-June-15, 13:42, said:

Hi,

The quarantine has provided a chance for my mom and myself to start playing online with each other, my job keeps me at home now and she can't play with her local clubs. While she is an advanced bridge player, I've learned she might not be the best teacher. While I found the bridge teacher location search, I wasn't able to search for a teacher that would be proficient teaching beginners online (distance just doesn't matter). What would be the best source for a BBO proficient teacher? And what type of screening questions would you ask if you were a beginner?

Thanks in Advance!
Brandon

In England, EBUTA can help you. lisa@ebedcio.org.uk is the education co-ordinator and will point you in the right direction. In the US, I would start with this: https://my.acbl.org/teachers/directory or contact the ACBL direct. If your are elsewhere, give your location and someone on here will help, although online it does not matter much where you are.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#3 User is offline   ericsson45 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-02, 15:16

View Postbvanv, on 2020-June-15, 13:42, said:

Hi,

Thanks in Advance!
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Do you play chess? If you learnt chess you know that you start with end games, from which you learn the nature of the games, instead of starting with openings, which can be done in quite a late stage. Bridge is the same, as a beginner you start with learning fundamentals of hand evaluation, understanding which type of hand is good for offend/defend, etc, instead of starting with memorizing conventions, which would restrict your thinking process. For beginner I would suggest you start with very simple bidding system, and only add specific treatment when you feel you can't bid a hand with existing method.

Jin

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-02, 15:34

You sound quite capable of making good progress without a teacher.
I suggest you go through the basics with sound internet resources like rpbridge.net and bidandmade.com, then refine your understanding of these in discussion with your mum and other advanced players you will have met in the meantime. Discerning reading of this forum and bridgewinners will then point you the way to useful (and not) conventions that you can google and evaluate from multiple sources (wikipedia, bridgebum, larrycohen etc.).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users