• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

interesting high level decision

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-June-12, 13:03

2 showed 5-5 or better in hearts and a minor, weak.

I have realised now that I was half asleep on this hand, and forgot partner held a minor as well as hearts. If I'd had been awake, I would have punted slam, which makes on a very fortunate layout. In the event, after opps bid to 4, I had to decide whether to go for a penalty or bid 5. After a bit of thought, I decided that getting +800 out of this was against the odds, but 5 was very likely to be there, so bid it.

It turns out that +800 is there, it requires accurate defence. I have to underlead my heart honors to partner's king, then she has to switch to a diamond. We take one heart, two diamonds, a diamond ruff, and two clubs. Whether we would find that defence is another matter. Put club Qxx in one hand instead, and we only get +500, with 5 still cold.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-12, 17:03

Based on the information you have, 5 seems much safer than 4X in my opinion. There is something to be said for bidding more slowly, both to investigate slam and to avoid pushing the opponents into 4.

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-13, 03:38

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-June-12, 17:03, said:

Based on the information you have, 5 seems much safer than 4X in my opinion. There is something to be said for bidding more slowly, both to investigate slam and to avoid pushing the opponents into 4.

I prefer 3 even with a singleton honour to 4. 4 - but as you said you forgot partner has a minor, too for the 2 opener) - is clumsy. Whether partner will understand 3 as a splinter or as looking for a potential stopper for 3NT is another matter, but you're not going to stop the opponents bidding 4 whatever happens on this hand except if you bid an equally clumsy 4NT instead of 3/4 here.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-13, 03:38

View PostDavidKok, on 2020-June-12, 17:03, said:

I prefer 3 even with a singleton honour to 4 (but as you said you forgot partner has a minor, too for the 2 opener.) 4 is clumsy. Whether partner will understand 3 as a splinter or as looking for a potential stopper for 3NT is another matter, but you're not going to stop the opponents bidding 4 whatever happens on this hand except if you bid an equally clumsy 4NT instead of 3/4 here.

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-13, 04:16

View PostFelicityR, on 2020-June-13, 03:38, said:

I prefer 3 even with a singleton honour to 4 (but as you said you forgot partner has a minor, too for the 2 opener.) 4 is clumsy. Whether partner will understand 3 as a splinter or as looking for a potential stopper for 3NT is another matter, but you're not going to stop the opponents bidding 4 whatever happens on this hand except if you bid an equally clumsy 4NT instead of 3/4 here.

Yeah with a singleton spades opposite it really doesn't make much of a difference. I was thinking of bidding 2NT (in the hope that this is 'system on' even after an overcall by opps). If partner has something like xx or xxx small in spades North may be content with 3, and we could steal the hand in 4. Since I'm willing to bid 5 anyway (and also willing to double 5) there are not that many downsides to showing the fit later.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users