BBO Discussion Forums: Pairs ladder playing on BBO - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pairs ladder playing on BBO Which scoring method is best, IMPs or MPs?

#1 User is offline   Wainfleet 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-11, 00:57

I am setting up a pairs ladder for my group. They challenge one another to a 16 board match (playing in the Relaxed club). I am planning to use IMPs. Is this the fairest scoring method rather than match points? Someone has asked why and I don't know enough about it to give a sensible answer.

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-11, 01:28

I doubt it really matters and the same pairs will do well whatever you choose, although I'm sure many will disagree with me. In both games, whoever gets the balance of cards will have the opportunity to do better.

As all the results will be compared with sixteen random tables in the Relaxed Club, in theory you should get a fair comparison for both. However cross imps is the default and most people will not change the table defaults, so the matchpoints tables will contain those who expressed a distinct preference to play matchpoints and I suspect that the standard, on average, will be slightly higher.

Perhaps the strongest argument for matchpoints is that every board is equally important. For cross imps, making games and slams are more important than the odd overtrick so some boards are less important. This means that the games and tactics are different. A strong pair would rarely lose to a weaker pair playing matchpoints but you will see more upsets at cross imps, but perhaps not many over 16 boards.

I would ask the players which they prefer. If you choose matchpoints then I recommend you think about how to handle it a match played at cross imps when the host forgets to set it correctly.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-11, 11:06

View Postpaulg, on 2020-June-11, 01:28, said:

I doubt it really matters and the same pairs will do well whatever you choose, although I'm sure many will disagree with me. In both games, whoever gets the balance of cards will have the opportunity to do better.

As all the results will be compared with sixteen random tables in the Relaxed Club, in theory you should get a fair comparison for both. However cross imps is the default and most people will not change the table defaults, so the matchpoints tables will contain those who expressed a distinct preference to play matchpoints and I suspect that the standard, on average, will be slightly higher.

Perhaps the strongest argument for matchpoints is that every board is equally important. For cross imps, making games and slams are more important than the odd overtrick so some boards are less important. This means that the games and tactics are different. A strong pair would rarely lose to a weaker pair playing matchpoints but you will see more upsets at cross imps, but perhaps not many over 16 boards.

I would ask the players which they prefer. If you choose matchpoints then I recommend you think about how to handle it a match played at cross imps when the host forgets to set it correctly.

Yes, at IMP pairs one board can be the entire event. You don’t have teammates protecting you at the other table, so it is not suitable for pairs.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   Wainfleet 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-06, 10:35

Thanks both. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users