Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Swiss Pairs preventing splitting

#1 User is offline   SeanBothar 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-06, 00:27

A mixed pairs event last night 5th June 2020 (7117-1591382583) was run as Swiss Pairs.
There were 57 tables and BBO split this into 3 x 14T plus 15T.
Some players complained that they had to play against the same pair for 3 or more rounds.
With only 28 pairs in most of the sections this seems inevitable if "Danish" is the default option.
Is there any code to insert in the format set-up which prevents splitting (+????+)?
Also if the competition had been run as a Mitchell can splitting be prevented?
Finally is there any code which allows switching on specified rounds in Mitchells?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-06, 14:47

The server changes that were deployed a few days ago allow you to specify larger section sizes, which can be used to prevent splitting.

#3 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-06, 15:42

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-06, 14:47, said:

The server changes that were deployed a few days ago allow you to specify larger section sizes, which can be used to prevent splitting.

Running a VACB virtual club game. How do we specify?
John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#4 User is offline   SeanBothar 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-07, 03:04

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-06, 14:47, said:

Thank you.
A pertinent fact omitted from the original post about this Swiss Mixed Pairs competition was that it was a "paying" one.
If it had been "non-paying" apparently many more tables would be allowed in one section which would have reduced the chances of pairs meeting twice or more.
Is there a code which can be inserted into a "paying" competition Swiss Pairs format which allows large sections as used in "non-paying" ones?
In a "paying" Mitchell what is the new upper limit for table numbers per section and can switching on certain rounds be specified?
Finally, is the upper limit for Howells still 20 tables?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-09, 13:18

View Postjnichols, on 2020-June-06, 15:42, said:

Running a VACB virtual club game. How do we specify?

Sorry, I was confused about the new feature. It's not something you can specify for the tournament, it's a setting we control for the whole organization. Since all VACB clubs are within the same organization, if we changed it this would affect all VACB games.

#6 User is offline   SBU_E_MEL 

• Pip

Posted 2020-July-09, 03:59

I was considering running a Swiss Pairs tournament, hoping to get about 45 tables but was dismayed to find that BBO will automatically split this into three sections. That doesn't work for me for the following reasons:

1. That will make it feel like three separate tournaments.

2. If a strong pair happens to end up in a section of predominantly weaker pairs they are likely to do very well. The reverse is also true.

3. There is a high chance of playing a pair more than once in an event, a so-called 'Danish Option' which I avoid at all costs in real life and should not happen if there are 45 tables!

SURELY the obvious solution is for BBO to provide TDs with an option which prevents splitting either by use of a descriptor or an option which they can tick before the tournament starts. This would be useful for all pairs tournaments. For example if I have a 17 table tournament BBO splits that into 8/9 table sections. To prevent pairs playing each other twice in the eight table section I have to change the number of boards per round from two to three, if I want an 18-board tournament. It would be SO much better if I had an option which prevents splitting allowing nine two-board rounds.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-09, 04:25

Can Danish be turned off?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-09, 06:33

View PostSBU_E_MEL, on 2020-July-09, 03:59, said:

I was considering running a Swiss Pairs tournament, hoping to get about 45 tables but was dismayed to find that BBO will automatically split this into three sections. That doesn't work for me for the following reasons:

1. That will make it feel like three separate tournaments.

2. If a strong pair happens to end up in a section of predominantly weaker pairs they are likely to do very well. The reverse is also true.

3. There is a high chance of playing a pair more than once in an event, a so-called 'Danish Option' which I avoid at all costs in real life and should not happen if there are 45 tables!

SURELY the obvious solution is for BBO to provide TDs with an option which prevents splitting either by use of a descriptor or an option which they can tick before the tournament starts. This would be useful for all pairs tournaments. For example if I have a 17 table tournament BBO splits that into 8/9 table sections. To prevent pairs playing each other twice in the eight table section I have to change the number of boards per round from two to three, if I want an 18-board tournament. It would be SO much better if I had an option which prevents splitting allowing nine two-board rounds.

You can choose to have large sections of up to 50 tables on request but this needs to be applied for the whole NBO.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users