• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New aRobot substitution

#1 User is offline   D_H_D 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-03, 18:36

1. Does the newly introduced robot substitution allow robots to replace sitouts if the tournament starts with a half table?

2. Is there a charge for robots used in substitutions?

Many thanks
David

#2 User is offline   biometrics 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Statistics , Quantitative Research, Bridge, Reading Crime stories & thrillers

Posted 2020-June-04, 02:39

Hi,

@ 1) yes
@ 2) no.

Both is great. Thanks to BBO

Michael

#3 User is offline   jdempsey52 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-June-04, 06:07

View PostD_H_D, on 2020-June-03, 18:36, said:

1. Does the newly introduced robot substitution allow robots to replace sitouts if the tournament starts with a half table?

2. Is there a charge for robots used in substitutions?

Many thanks
David

Do you need to have the Allow Robots option ticked in the Entries tab of Create/Edit Tournament to use this option?

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-04, 06:21

View Postjdempsey52, on 2020-June-04, 06:07, said:

Do you need to have the Allow Robots option ticked in the Entries tab of Create/Edit Tournament to use this option?

I think that is just about allowing people to register with a robot as partner.
In any case, I used robot substitution with this option unticked.

[EDIT: but it turns out this was related to the freeze bug, see note of Diana_Eva below]

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-04, 10:27

OK I just ran my first tournament with Robot substitution available.
Given my luck, the number of pairs was even for once :)
But I did get a few people losing connection during a thunderstorm, which gave me a chance to try it.

1. It worked, more or less. I was able to manually substitute <disconnected player> with "robot", and a robot appeared at table and started playing.

2. The disconnected player wasn't able to get back in on his own initiative as I had understood was the goal.

3. A robot twice refused to bid (tournament #6795: board 4 mariacig, board 10 pierasimo). In both cases I think it was the start of the first board of a new round. The movement was unclocked, if that matters.

4. I wasn't able to substitute "Robot" with "robot" or with a human sub through "Substitute any" (maybe just chance, but it's unusual) or with humans (other than the missing player) not on the substitute list. Naming the missing player or selecting a specific substitute from the substitute list did work, however.

#6 User is offline   pgrice 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-04, 10:42

View Postpescetom, on 2020-June-04, 10:27, said:

OK I just ran my first tournament with Robot substitution available (#6795).
Given my luck, the number of pairs was even for once :)
But I did get a few people losing connection during a thunderstorm, which gave me a chance to try it.

1. It worked, more or less. I was able to manually substitute <disconnected player> with "robot", and a robot appeared at table and started playing.

2. The disconnected player wasn't able to get back in on his own initiative as I had understood was the goal.

3. A robot twice refused to bid (tournament #6795: board 4 mariacig, board 10 pierasimo). In both cases I think it was the start of the first board of a new round. The movement was unclocked, if that matters.

4. I wasn't able to substitute "Robot" with "robot" or with humans through "Substitute any" (maybe just chance, but it's unusual) or with humans (other than the missing player) not on the substitute list. Naming the missing player or selecting a substitute from the substitute list did work, however.

I tried this a few hours ago and had much the same experience. One player had computer issues at the start and so his partner was given a robot to play with - this filled a half table. As you found (3) the robot completed the round and then stopped. Trying to sub robot with robot didn't work. Sub robot with a real person (my alterego account) and then back to a robot got things going for that round. When robot stopped again I tried the same process again ... needs a different alterego ... but eventually gave up and subbed a real person for the remaining boards. Tournament was clocked, barometer, play with robots not permitted.
My player with computer problems didn't make it back before the end so I have no information on your point 2

Peter

#7 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-04, 10:51

The report I got says that robots frequently (always?) freeze at the start of a new round.
John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-04, 12:56

View Postjnichols, on 2020-June-04, 10:51, said:

The report I got says that robots frequently (always?) freeze at the start of a new round.

Looks to me more like always.
But please take note also of the other issues raised.

#9 User is offline   Thinkist 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-04, 13:06

I've been seeing the same glitch. I wonder if it's because the robots were EW (moving) instead of NS (stationary) or if it's just because of the change in rounds.

In any case, I hope BBO can fix this bug soon so that we won't need the workarounds. Perhaps it's better to stick to subs from the get-go for now.

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-04, 18:26

If the tournament is set to not allow robots at start, the robot subs will freeze at the beginning of the next round.

This is a bug and will be fixed tonight.

About replacing the robot. It is possible to replace the robot with a human.

Use the html version, or if you are on the V2 flash version go via Director -> Substitution and type Replace Robot with... your player username there.

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-05, 07:17

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-June-04, 18:26, said:

If the tournament is set to not allow robots at start, the robot subs will freeze at the beginning of the next round.

About replacing the robot. It is possible to replace the robot with a human.

Use the html version, or if you are on the V2 flash version go via Director -> Substitution and type Replace Robot with... your player username there.

Thanks.

So what exactly is the recommended procedure (using current html client) to reinstate a player who lost connection but is now back and wants to resume play?
Establish this with him (via chat or whatever) and then just click on the robot and "Substitute - Select" then enter his name?
Or does he need to register as a substitute, or something else?

#12 User is offline   criptik 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-05, 08:59

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-June-04, 18:26, said:

Just checking as I have to direct a tournament today. If I just make sure that robots are allowed in the original tournament description, then using robots as subs should have no problem?

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-05, 09:54

View Postcriptik, on 2020-June-05, 08:59, said:

Just checking as I have to direct a tournament today. If I just make sure that robots are allowed in the original tournament description, then using robots as subs should have no problem?

The bug should be fixed now, we did another upgrade last night to fix it.

If you are using the flash version, you won't see the right-click menu options to replace the robot. On the html version you will be able to right-click the robot and choose Sub with any or Sub select.

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-06, 14:44

Ran an individual today and had the worst case of needing 3 more, substituted robots and they behaved correctly to the end this time.
On the whole a better experience than using human subs and much less hassle for the director, thank you very much :)

#15 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-June-07, 13:37

Today a player had a problem and I substituted him with a robot, then when he was back online I substituted him in again.
All manual, but at least it works and that is already a big step forwards.

#16 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-07, 18:04

Used robots tonight to fill a half table. Also to fill a disconnect. Everything worked fine
John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#17 User is offline   wrightmtsj 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-13, 06:24

Used a Robot yesterday as I had a sitout and a spare player. All worked fine.

Then a member became available. Tried to substitute the member in to replace the robot. BBO didn't let me. Robot carried on and Tournament completed without problem.

Tournament was EBU Virtual. Clocked. No Robots. Howell.

Any ideas why I was unable to replace the Robot ?

Thanks.

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-13, 14:25

View Postwrightmtsj, on 2020-June-13, 06:24, said:

Used a Robot yesterday as I had a sitout and a spare player. All worked fine.

Then a member became available. Tried to substitute the member in to replace the robot. BBO didn't let me. Robot carried on and Tournament completed without problem.

Tournament was EBU Virtual. Clocked. No Robots. Howell.

Any ideas why I was unable to replace the Robot ?

Thanks.

Use the html version of bbo and you can right - click then Sub - select Robot with YourPlayer

Or, on flash, same but access this from the Director panel, right-clicking on the robot won't work there.

#19 User is offline   wrightmtsj 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-13, 15:44

Thanks for the reply.

I used the Director panel in Flash version. Didn't work.

I'll try the html version next time.

#20 User is offline   criptik 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-19, 09:28

I understand BBO has different levels of robots. What level are these robots that get used for subsitutions?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users