• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deleting a team game Adventures starting a team league

#1 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-02, 23:26

We had lots of virtual club folks asking to form an online IMP League, so I did. Google Forms to collect signups and preferences, a website to keep people informed, and tonight was night one, with 20 teams in 2 ten-team divisions. Nine matches were successfully completed, which is better than I thought. Another Google Form collected the results nicely. The tenth match....oy vey.

I watched as the various tables were set up, recorded the team game numbers so I could look at boards later if needed, and then noticed only nine were actually going. Back to the pending area. One team has set up a table and is waiting for the other. The other has set up their own team match and are occupying the wrong seats, North at both tables, now moving and now three at the same table. All players are seated and not accepting chat. Eventually they start to get up and I try to get one table to go to the other, but the person who started the one table could not join the other, apparently because she could not figure out how to kill her table.

OK, I will create a team game. Titled it very clearly "testing -- no play". Invite requests come pouring in, some re-requesting as soon as I click no. I ignore them for a second and look for a way to kill the team game. Eventually I find it in the Director tab. Does everyone who can create a team game have this Director tab? The person who created the table we needed to kill claimed not to have one. But she responded to my requests so slowly I have no idea if she understood. She certainly didn't read the online instructions I posted very well. (Based on my offline interactions with her, I am not surprised.)

Three and a half hours later, the two team tables are still there. Hopefully when they reschedule in a few days they will be gone....
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-03, 01:06

Our conditions of contest for a similar event (Scottish Lockdown Swiss Teams) contain instructions on running the team matches, including short videos on how to kill the matches. You are welcome to plagiarise them.

Everyone who runs a team match has a Director tab.

If you watch my videos, you will see that I use "+private+" in the description. This prevents anyone from asking to play, which is helpful when testing, making videos or when you wish to invite people to play who are not yet online. If you use it for the latter, then you have to be able to use the Director tab to substitute/invite specific people.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-03, 08:13

View Postpaulg, on 2020-June-03, 01:06, said:

Our conditions of contest for a similar event (Scottish Lockdown Swiss Teams) contain instructions on running the team matches, including short videos on how to kill the matches. You are welcome to plagiarise them.

Everyone who runs a team match has a Director tab.

If you watch my videos, you will see that I use "+private+" in the description. This prevents anyone from asking to play, which is helpful when testing, making videos or when you wish to invite people to play who are not yet online. If you use it for the latter, then you have to be able to use the Director tab to substitute/invite specific people.

Thanks: that is good information. Now we'll see if I can communicate it to my non-listeners.... :)
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#4 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-03, 15:40

This has been very helpful - and has highlighted a bug with the BBO app. On my iPad the Director popup windows for Substitute and Cancel are just the caption bar and nothing else. Same thing with Safari on the iPad and same thing with Firefox on the iPad. It's a series 3 iPad running ios 10.3.4 - The app on an uptodate Galaxy tablet running the latest Android behaves as expected.

So it maybe that a newer iPad doesn't have that problem.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users