• You cannot reply to this topic

EHAA 2-level openings

#1 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-May-31, 03:12

Hi all,
I'd like to have a quick look at the way EHAA handles the continuations of 2-level openings, to compare vs Fantunes style.

I'd appreciate any kind of feedback, thanks !! :-)

Mauro
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#2 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-31, 03:28

Single raise and 2N constructive NF

New suits weak I think, but some play as constructive NF

Jumps nat forcing

Slightly simpler than Fantunes!

#3 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-31, 03:31

MickyB, on May 31 2005, 09:28 AM, said:

Jumps nat forcing

Slightly simpler that Fantunes!

Fantunes have tuned their system to allow for not missing potential games when both players hold 10-13 and 10-13.

That's why their NF bids promise substantial values (10-13) OR, if low in values, a selfsufficient suit that justify bidding in spite of low hcp content.

I was curious about the EHAA approach and their scrambling methods.
Any study material around ?
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#4 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-31, 09:36

Having played it with Jon Probst, we played next suit asks for second suit and 2NT would show the asking suit as the second suit. That is 2-2-2NT would be showing hearts and spades by opener.

I found a write up on a modified EHAA here:

http://www.abo.fi/~j...ridge/ehaap.pdf

Apparently there's also a book you can buy about it. More information can be found here:

http://www.blakjak.d...uk/ehaa_faq.htm
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-31, 12:40

Chamaco, on May 31 2005, 04:31 AM, said:

MickyB, on May 31 2005, 09:28 AM, said:

Jumps nat forcing

Slightly simpler that Fantunes!

Fantunes have tuned their system to allow for not missing potential games when both players hold 10-13 and 10-13.

That's why their NF bids promise substantial values (10-13) OR, if low in values, a selfsufficient suit that justify bidding in spite of low hcp content.

I was curious about the EHAA approach and their scrambling methods.
Any study material around ?

Yes, you can go online to major usa book sellers and buy EHAA. I am one of those who grew up thinking EHAA was standard bridge bidding in early 70's, enjoy!.

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-31, 22:35

I am not sure how you are going to apply anything between the systems - as far as I can tell, EHAA and FN style are *nothing* alike.

EHAA two-bids are designed to get in, get in the way, and get the kind of hands that get 2/1 players in trouble out of the one-bids. Constructive "don't enner into it". In fact, Eric Landau (the name on the book...) told me he once was told "the EHAA MP death score is not -200, but +200" (for 2M+3). But here's the structure, anyway:

- New suits NF, non-constructive, trying to find a better contract. I remember one auction that went 2C!-p-2D!-AP. "what's the alert of 2D?" "It is my partner's considered opinion that 2D will play better than 2C..." and as I put down dummy, which included C87432 "and I agree with him." New suits by opener continue the scramble. One exception to the above: at MPs, with a decent hand, responder may make a "improve the contract" 2M bid with support, because he expects to make both contracts.
- Raises, 2NT and free bids NF but constructive (about 14-17 points). Game raises are two-way, and sets up a force if responder is bidding to make. 2m-p-4m is GF (see J/S below). In competition, XX by responder is "help", XX by opener is "I'm going to make this".
- J/S below game are GF, pretty much guaranteeing slam opposite a good EHAA 2-bid (because game opposite a bad EHAA 2-bid needs a *lot*). That was the most surprising part of EHAA to me - the number of slams we got to after an EHAA 2bid that were unbiddable in standard after p-2C.

Not saying it's a great system (I wouldn't pin my hopes of a world championship on it) but it sure is fun to play (especially for me, who has APAD - always pass as dealer - pretty much written on the card). But as I said, the 2-bid goals are 180 degrees from F-N's.

Michael.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-01, 01:08

mike777, on May 31 2005, 06:40 PM, said:

Yes, you can go online to major usa book sellers and buy EHAA.

I tried to find Landau/Baron 's book at Baron Barclay and Amazon, but it seems to be out of print :D

#8 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-01, 01:55

mycroft, on Jun 1 2005, 04:35 AM, said:

I am not sure how you are going to apply anything between the systems - as far as I can tell, EHAA and FN style are *nothing* alike.

If EHAA and Fantunes are different, then good :) : I already have some study material on FN, it would be silly to have duplicated material ;)

Just trying to get an idea of EHAA style, but in order to have that, I need much more than simply the system notes: I need commented examples, to get a feeling about hand evaluation.

I might as well decide to play straight EHAA, but I need to study the concrete hand examples before deciding whether that style suits me better than F-N :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users