BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Forums Sunday Daylong - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Forums Sunday Daylong Where is everyone?

#1 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-31, 23:25

It is ridiculous that I should be able to score 50.09% in the BBO Forums Sunday Daylong. Until I discover that only 275 players completed the challenge. I note that this is basically a gigantic group challenge. We all get to play the same boards. This makes it different from every other robot tournament. I could understand one, two or even a few of the regular posters being absent. But nearly everyone! In the words of Marvin Gaye, What's going on? Congrats to Nige1, diana_eva, Povratnik and kenberg for beating me - again. And everyone else whose names I don't immediately recognise.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-31, 23:42

What is a BBO Forums Sunday daylong?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-01, 01:34

The BBO Forums Daylong is meant as a giant challenge. And it uses only one set of deals to be more entertaining. It's a closed event, and soon enough I hope to re-open the all-human ones, so we can play with each other and not with robots.

There are no prizes, so not much incentive to cheat for. Although this being the forums the likelihood of someone taking the winners' hands and analysing them here is significantly bigger than in other tournaments :)

The Forums tournaments were always meant as a way for the forumers to do stuff together outside the Forums.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-June-01, 04:02

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-June-01, 01:34, said:

The BBO Forums Daylong is meant as a giant challenge. And it uses only one set of deals to be more entertaining. It's a closed event, and soon enough I hope to re-open the all-human ones, so we can play with each other and not with robots.

There are no prizes, so not much incentive to cheat for. Although this being the forums the likelihood of someone taking the winners' hands and analysing them here is significantly bigger than in other tournaments :)

The Forums tournaments were always meant as a way for the forumers to do stuff together outside the Forums.

Yes, not giving prizes for online events is prudent. Neither the EBU nor the local club are giving out prizes for their games. With the table money so much lower, there isn’t really much to spare for prizes anyway.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-June-01, 04:04

View PostVampyr, on 2020-June-01, 04:02, said:

Yes, not giving prizes for online events is prudent. Neither the EBU nor the local club are giving out prizes for their games. With the table money so much lower, there isn’t really much to spare for prizes anyway.

How does one join the current Robot version of the Daylong Forum tournament?

#6 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-01, 04:16

As I understand it all Forum members - including you - are automatically enrolled. Just logon to BBO on the day go to the competitive section where you will find the tournament listed as free for all Forum members and you will be able to play - and no doubt easily beat me. The other members may prove more of a challenge!

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-01, 11:27

All I will say is that if it was announced here, I didn't see it. I've been in one (and meant to do yesterday, but this weekend was full of "stuff I wanted to do, but slept instead") from the last time it was mentioned (in the "2300 started, 250 finished" thread).

Oh, apart from "thank you. That is a touchingly simple and sweet (and appropriate) reward for interest."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 08:38

We've been running them for years. I thought they were announced way back when in the BBO Forum Events forum, but I can't find it. IIRC, it started out as human indy, but eventually became a daylong robot tournament.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 08:50

That wasn't a complaint, Barmar (or wasn't intended as one). Just an observation that I, with my posting history, didn't know of its existence, or didn't remember when you did announce it. I hope others, like me, now made aware, will join in, and we can push it up to 400, 500 entries a week!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 11:07

View Postmycroft, on 2020-June-02, 08:50, said:

That wasn't a complaint, Barmar (or wasn't intended as one). Just an observation that I, with my posting history, didn't know of its existence, or didn't remember when you did announce it. I hope others, like me, now made aware, will join in, and we can push it up to 400, 500 entries a week!

When one logs into BBO on any Sunday, the BBO Forums Daylong would have appeared at the top of the Tournaments menu. You would even have been pre-registered i.e. instead of the "Register" button, you would have seen a "Play" button.

All one has to do is click and play! :) Hope many of you can join next week, and the one following it, and so on.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-June-03, 00:11

I have a question about this daylong thing, which I may try — it is free, right?

And I would welcome any hints on how to protect oneself from the robots.

#12 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-December-18, 09:47

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-June-01, 04:16, said:

As I understand it all Forum members - including you - are automatically enrolled. Just logon to BBO on the day go to the competitive section where you will find the tournament listed as free for all Forum members and you will be able to play - and no doubt easily beat me. The other members may prove more of a challenge!

I haven't got an invite so far even though i joined the forum 2 weeks back. Am i missing something?

#13 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-21, 21:26

By invite, i meant that the bbo forum daylong does not appear in the list of free tournaments at all for me to register. Can someone help?

#14 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-21, 21:59

Are you sure you were checking on the Sunday that it runs? (Which may be dependent on your timezone).

#15 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-22, 03:47

Yes, of course... at different times as well. I even sent a message to bbo support. They advised me to raise it in the forum. Left me wondering if there any other conditions to be met like minimum no. of posts or period as member. Hope to play this Sunday at least.

#16 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-25, 06:39

Right now, i checked 'free tournaments' and 'all tournaments' for bbo forum daylong. For the 3rd sunday in a row, it is not listed. Now, i am very sure that it is NOT open to all forum members. I do not know who is in-charge. Perhaps this explains why such a small % of members participate in it.

#17 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2022-December-25, 08:56

View Postharikannan, on 2022-December-25, 06:39, said:

Right now, i checked 'free tournaments' and 'all tournaments' for bbo forum daylong. For the 3rd sunday in a row, it is not listed. Now, i am very sure that it is NOT open to all forum members. I do not know who is in-charge. Perhaps this explains why such a small % of members participate in it.

I believe that there is a delay between joining and being eligible for the tournament
Alderaan delenda est

#18 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-26, 01:38

Must be the case though I am surprised that the eligibility conditions are not readily accessible to the forum members.

#19 User is offline   harikannan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-26, 01:38

Must be the case though I am surprised that the eligibility conditions are not readily accessible to the forum members.

#20 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-December-26, 01:48

View Postharikannan, on 2022-December-25, 06:39, said:

Hi. I've asked a tech to investigate whether the list of members updates as expected, however due to the timing they weren't available in time to catch the Christmas Sunday. I'll see what we find this week and hopefully have this fixed by next Sunday.

Sorry about this, the forums tourney has been running fully automated for a long time; it took a while until we realized something might be wrong.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users