BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Pairs Movements--Play Same Opponents Twice? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Pairs Movements--Play Same Opponents Twice? Virtual Club Game--Movement

#1 User is offline   bhogsett 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-26, 14:24

I played in two virtual club games today--same club--and both times the movement had pairs playing each other twice.

Is this the way BBO movements work?

We, of course, played the best pair(20K+ masterpoints for one of them and the other is darn good) twice and they killed us. :angry:

I am concerned that the club is not setting up the games correctly since I find it hard to believe that BBO would create movements with pairs playing each other twice.

Thanks.

Stay safe.

Bill Hogsett

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-26, 15:54

How many pairs were in the tournament, how many boards per round, and how many rounds were played? And what was the movement used if you know?

#3 User is offline   bhogsett 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-26, 16:37

View Postjohnu, on 2020-May-26, 15:54, said:

How many pairs were in the tournament, how many boards per round, and how many rounds were played? And what was the movement used if you know?

PAIRS: 31
BOARDS PER ROUND: 2
ROUNDS:12
SECTIONS: 2

I do not know the movement

And then in the second game:
PAIRS: 12
BOARDS PER ROUND: 3
ROUNDS: 7

Again I do not know the movement. I had assumed that a Mitchell movement was used for both games.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-27, 00:39

View Postbhogsett, on 2020-May-26, 16:37, said:

PAIRS: 31
BOARDS PER ROUND: 2
ROUNDS:12
SECTIONS: 2

I do not know the movement

And then in the second game:
PAIRS: 12
BOARDS PER ROUND: 3
ROUNDS: 7

Again I do not know the movement. I had assumed that a Mitchell movement was used for both games.

Well, if you have 6 tables and 7 rounds you have to have a re-match in a Mitchell-type movement. And if you had 16 tables it would have divided intor two sections, so the same thing would apply for 8 tables and 12 rounds. Similarly if they are run as "Swiss" movements they allow re-matches. The way to avoid this would have been to run them as Howells.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2020-May-27, 05:31

31 pairs is particularly annoying for the Director,

Assume I have 15 full tables where I tend to run 11 rounds and 2 boards a round. I set the game up with “22” and “2”.

Just before the game begins, a 31st pair registers, which is going to cause two 8-table sections. If I see it in time, I quickly change to “21” and “3” for a 7x3 Mitchell.

But if I don’t notice the 31st pair, it’s going to run 11x2 with 8 tables, so there will be THREE revenge rounds! And there’s no way to change the game movement after the game starts.

#6 User is offline   bhogsett 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-27, 07:01

View PostBudH, on 2020-May-27, 05:31, said:

31 pairs is particularly annoying for the Director,

Assume I have 15 full tables where I tend to run 11 rounds and 2 boards a round. I set the game up with “22” and “2”.

Just before the game begins, a 31st pair registers, which is going to cause two 8-table sections. If I see it in time, I quickly change to “21” and “3” for a 7x3 Mitchell.

But if I don’t notice the 31st pair, it’s going to run 11x2 with 8 tables, so there will be THREE revenge rounds! And there’s no way to change the game movement after the game starts.

Thanks, you have answered the question.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users