• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to find the slam here? Overcall makes things a bit more difficult

#21 User is offline   DBarbour 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-25, 08:55

At least one of the older masters (Marshall Miles) recommends if you have about an A over what you have already shown, you should make a slam try, and if you partner has a K over what they have already shown they should accept. Since responder could have bid 2 H without the club void, i.e. with 2 small, the void control in clubs seems huge to me (and as someone else mentioned, the spades are well placed). I would have no problems bidding 5C.

Also I can't imagine a world where 2H is not forcing.

#22 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-25, 12:15

The club void may not be that huge. All auctions are tough because there's no clear way for South to show it low enough. Posters should think about how they would stay out of slam if North's ace of hearts were the ace of clubs instead (down to ~28%), or ace of diamonds were ace of clubs where you could go down in 5.

#23 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-25, 12:47

View Postfluff, on 2020-May-24, 08:39, said:

4♥ is really and overbid.
2♥ is forcing for only ONE round and promises only 11; so 3♥ was amply enough with this bad hand.
Then responder wld have room for 4c.

You really believe 3 is forcing?????

#24 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-May-26, 06:38

View PostDBarbour, on 2020-May-25, 08:55, said:

Also I can't imagine a world where 2H is not forcing.

One of my now deceased bridge partners used to play disturbed bids weak after an overcall, with a jump showing invitational values and a long suit, double would be used to show a game going hand (IIRC). I didn't care for it very much.

#25 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-May-26, 06:41

View PostStephen Tu, on 2020-May-25, 12:15, said:

The club void may not be that huge. All auctions are tough because there's no clear way for South to show it low enough. Posters should think about how they would stay out of slam if North's ace of hearts were the ace of clubs instead (down to ~28%), or ace of diamonds were ace of clubs where you could go down in 5.

This is a good point. The slam is good because of a combination of a double fit and all the HCP save the CJ are working to their full potential. Is it possible to diagnose that in the auction in a way to be able to bail out into game if the hands match less favourably?

#26 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-26, 10:34

View PostAL78, on 2020-May-26, 06:41, said:

This is a good point. The slam is good because of a combination of a double fit and all the HCP save the CJ are working to their full potential. Is it possible to diagnose that in the auction in a way to be able to bail out into game if the hands match less favourably?

You could agree, that 3H is forcing.
The problem is, the intervention. After the 1S overcall, 2H is no longer gf, and it may now only be forcing for 1 round,
making 3H nf. Stephen Tu suggested going via the Cue, the problem being, that it does not show the fit, and auction may get
murky after basically any reply.

It may be possible to generate a forcing auction with fit agreement upto 3H, if you go via transfer bids, in which case you may
be able to start cue bidding.

Finally: Openers hand could be worse, ... but the spade values are not expected, even a neg., how often do they overcall 1S with
0 HCP in the spade suit? But then, we did not hear a 2S raise, and it could easily go spade to the Ace, spade ruff.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#27 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2021-February-01, 04:24

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-May-24, 02:14, said:

Sir.
with 18 HCP,SEVEN (we count AQ +AQ combination as one extra control) controls and solid support (Partner willing to play in 2H with even xx with you and a normal 12-14 opening) bidding 4H is certainly an under bid. 2S and then 3H(GF) over the 2NT (SHOWING A spade guard )wii certainly encourage partner to make 4C cue (or if the partnership is perfect 5C) in a sensible auction leading to the slam at this particular situation posed by the OP. Thanks

...2 and then 3(GF).. is "Further extension of the Unassuming Cue Bid" that you can view going in my topic "Raising the suit of opponent" in GBD (then on page 3 #48 in pattayabridgeclub) putting my nickname in search box of that sub-Forum.(Lovera)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users