• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open 2S?

#21 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-29, 05:52

View PostDinarius, on 2020-May-27, 12:02, said:

Read somewhere once that is you're opening a light or bad suit pre-empt, you shd have at least singleton or void.

The dreaded 6,3,2,2, at red is not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I pass on the basis that I'll get a chance to show the boss suit later, or it will become apparent from what they bid that I have it.

D.

This is really the wrong idea. The correct philosophy for weak twos (and higher preempts) is "bid now or forever after hold your peace." Backing in after they've exchanged more information minimizes the advantages and maximizes the dangers of bidding.

#22 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-June-01, 19:52

Sirs.
First I apologise for expressing my views in the EXPERTS column. In our partnership we would certainly open this hand 2S as we play OGUST 2NT and singleton asking 3C bid for responder.Our reason is it may be too late to convey this hand if at all the bidding is at 3 level by the time it comes around to us.I express my regrets again for having invaded the expert area.Thanks.

#23 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 13:35

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-June-01, 19:52, said:

Sirs.
First I apologise for expressing my views in the EXPERTS column. In our partnership we would certainly open this hand 2S as we play OGUST 2NT and singleton asking 3C bid for responder.Our reason is it may be too late to convey this hand if at all the bidding is at 3 level by the time it comes around to us.I express my regrets again for having invaded the expert area.Thanks.

Is it really a good idea to use 3 to ask for a singleton? There is room for three answers if you want to be able to stop in 3. And you need 4: there are 3 possible singletons and the possibility that there is no singleton.

I would rather switch the two bids:

2NT asks for shortness and 3 shows it whereas 3 denies it.

3 is Ogust:
    3 MIN, poor suit
    3 MIN, good suit
    3 MAX, poor suit
    3NT MAX, good suit

You will only be committed to game opposite a maximum and a good suit.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#24 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-12, 19:14

The part score battle at IMPS is NOWHERE near as intense as it is at MP. Risking a HUGE loss with a far less than stellar suit and otherwise boring minimum hand is (IMHO) just too risky at unfavorable at IMPS. Partnership harmony is hugely important so have a in depth discussion and decide the matter.

#25 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-June-12, 19:26

View Postiandayre, on 2020-May-22, 10:18, said:

With a new partner, I have been playing a bit over my head in expert-level practice team matches on BBO. These are real experts not just self-described. In that situation, in first seat at unfavorable, would you open 2S with KJT876, T9, 63, K54?
Yes

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users