Posted 2022-February-21, 14:07

View Postthepossum, on 2022-January-30, 22:27, said:

The problem is that no BBO ratings apply so I'm stuck🙂

Let me see if I can help you:

Q1: Have you played bridge for less than 6 months? Y->Novice; N->Q2
Q2: Have you played bridge for less than 12 months? Y->Beginner; N->Q3
Q3: Have you played in international competitions? Y-> World Class; N-> Q4
Q4: Have you been successful in national-level competitions? Y->Expert; N-> Q5
Q5: Are you regularly successful in bridge tournaments? Y->Advanced; N->Intermediate

I would hazard a pretty strong guess that you are Intermediate but how you choose to self-evaluate is a personal matter between you, your conscience and your ego.

#22 User is offline   theonlydon 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-July-01, 12:28

How do I find a partner for online Bridge? My previous partner moved to Mexico and I don't have much luck waiting to get a partner for each game. Anyone interested can email me at theonlydonhalpert@gmail.com
My user name for BBO is "theonlydon"

#23 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-July-01, 19:12

View PostGilithin, on 2022-February-21, 14:07, said:

Q5: Are you regularly successful in bridge tournaments? Y->Advanced; N->Intermediate

I would hazard a pretty strong guess that you are Intermediate but how you choose to self-evaluate is a personal matter between you, your conscience and your ego.

Apparently I am World Class 😂

...but I am sure I fall into the huge amorphous blob of Intermediate prone to Beginner errors and occasional moments of advanced or even expert brilliance

How did he setup that endplay. I don't know

#24 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-July-02, 06:36

View PostGilithin, on 2021-November-25, 21:46, said:

Officially, a novice is someone that has played for <6 months and a beginner is someone that has played for <12 months. After a year you are automatically an intermediate and stay there until you are regularly being successful in tournaments. That means that almost everyone that plays on BBO is an intermediate, including those that self-rate as Beginner, Advanced and Expert. Basically just ignore all self-ratings and instead look at their last month of results. It is a far better indicator of level.

I thought the beginner and novice definitions would be the other way around. A beginner by the literal interpretation of the word is someone who is beginning, so surely should have the shortest playing experience. I am reluctant to define standards purely by length of playing experience. In my experience, bridge students straight out of third year bridge classes are still playing like beginners for many months, if not years, and by that I mean they haven't got a grasp of the fundamentals of either bidding or card play.

#25 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-July-02, 06:39

View PostGilithin, on 2022-February-21, 14:07, said:

I would class myself as intermediate but I rarely do well at my local club these days, so my results point more towards advanced beginner/novice or weak intermediate at best.

#26 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-July-02, 12:17

View Postdeisenbe, on 2020-May-21, 06:23, said:

I'm giving up on online bridge. A I perceive it, it's unfriendly and sterile, and oriented towards more serious players than me

I went to BIL, and thanks for the recommendation. It does seem more oriented toward players at my level, but they not only say but emphasize they do not want any chatting.

My closed club, which has vague thoughts of someday reopening, directed me to the ACBL virtual clubs. I can't even understand the listings and there is no help I can find. I know I could probably type out a list of the acronyms and words I don't know (barometer?) and bother someone for explanations, but it leaves me feeling unwelcome.

I'm more interested in meeting people, as I did at my local club, than in playing tournaments. BBO is not set up for that, as you said yourself. Here on forums there is "find a partner" but it's dead.

My usual partner from my local club is unable do do something online like this. I tried teaching her, but it didn't work. She's 86 and not very computer-savvy.

I tried, but for me it's not fun to play with 3 other people none of whom I know and whom I can't talk to, in a game that moves very quickly, That's not the kind of bridge I enjoy.

Just wondering, where are you located?

#27 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-19, 14:31

View Postthepossum, on 2021-November-17, 18:41, said:

When people say they are novices or beginners. What level do they play at

I don't regard myself as advanced but started playing many decades ago ad am looking for other experienced novices such as myself.

Hard finding good competent intermediate/advanced people who don't get upset at beginner level errors from time to time

Certainly not sitting in a class. Thats no fun either

I end up resorting to GiB most days. Occasionally if feeling brave I drop into a random table, play a few hands and then run away

In the old days people used to sit in pubs, tea and coffee shops, playing cards. Don't see it much anymore :(

Maybe go into your favorite establishment, get a nice table, order a nice craft beer, deal a few hands, play them yourself even, try to get noticed and see if anyone asks to join in or asks what you are doing :)

These days some awful person would rush over and spray you and your pack of cards with disinfectant or something like that

... or you would see 4 people sitting round a table together playing on BBO - funny if they were all sharing the same WiFi. There would be the sound of sirens followed by a raid from international Bridge enforcers
in the last weeki played in BBo almost every day i also kibitz a lot i like the acol club but play ther aroud 3-6 pm greenich i am sick of 5 cards major system
i am curently doing some reserch on forcing pass system ans fert opening maybe we meet online and play
the other day i put a nessage on loby i overcalled with 4 cards was trying to tell partner i do make over call with 4 cards the partner didnt lke the idea
i amzed how bad people play everybody make mistake but i will not tell anybody he is playing bad unless they ask

#28 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-19, 15:09

View Postmichel444, on 2022-September-19, 14:31, said:

in the last weeki played in BBo almost every day i also kibitz a lot i like the acol club but play ther aroud 3-6 pm greenich i am sick of 5 cards major system
i am curently doing some reserch on forcing pass system ans fert opening maybe we meet online and play
the other day i put a nessage on loby i overcalled with 4 cards was trying to tell partner i do make over call with 4 cards the partner didnt lke the idea
i amzed how bad people play everybody make mistake but i will not tell anybody he is playing bad unless they ask

First of all, if your average in the Acol Club is -0.16IMPs/bd, you should probably not be complaining about the general standard. I had a quick look and on the very first hand I opened, you bid Ordinary Blackwood with 2 aces, received a response showing 2 aces and then signed off in 5. This does not fill me with confidence. My suggestion (quite strongly) would be for you to learn some basics of how to bid at a reasonable level before you start playing around with Forcing Pass systems. You can listen or not but I think you underestimate just how much of the game you have yet to uncover.

#29 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-October-06, 01:04

Something many bbo players seem not to know is that being a BIL member means you can ask for a mentor (at no cost). They will try to provide one in your time zone. One of the best things I ever did. :)

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users