Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Split server + flash version

#1 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-11, 14:31

I know Flash is going away and you won't have much interest in supporting it, but can you confirm that it is no longer possible for people using Flash to play with people using the HTML5 version?

(Clicking Casual in Flash doesn't load a new server, so it seems they're never able to see the person using the HTML5 server).

#2 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-May-11, 14:54

And if in html. clicking casual, u cant see tables in a club you want join.
Why oh why BBO makes so bad decisions lately? Why couldn't you await to link servers before releasing this update fully tested? And how it affects V1, still mandatory use for any club management, they speak to "none".
No yellow either at all in casual, mind that not all read news (and some cant even understand) and will play "couple" while awaiting trny, only to never receive invite. This all thing needed be planned and executed far better. Going for mid solution that only helps fraction of members (new comers) is discrimination. Sorry I couldn't find more polite way say the fact.

#3 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-12, 03:04

View PostCurls77, on 2020-May-11, 14:54, said:

And if in html. clicking casual, u cant see tables in a club you want join.
Why oh why BBO makes so bad decisions lately? Why couldn't you await to link servers before releasing this update fully tested? And how it affects V1, still mandatory use for any club management, they speak to "none".
No yellow either at all in casual, mind that not all read news (and some cant even understand) and will play "couple" while awaiting trny, only to never receive invite. This all thing needed be planned and executed far better. Going for mid solution that only helps fraction of members (new comers) is discrimination. Sorry I couldn't find more polite way say the fact.

I don't see how this "only helps fraction of members (new comers)".
It is a major help to those of us struggling to run free tournaments in a very congested space.
Moving all the casual section to another server is a significant improvement and should not be delayed until all the 'tweeks' are finished.
Half a loaf is much, much better than no loaf at all - and tastes a lot better for an early delivery.
So - congratulations to BBO - a good decision.

#4 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-12, 06:22

Not ALL bbo players use html, many prefer flash and quite few still use oldest window client. BUT, even tho each of them click causal, they will not see each other, only people using the same bbo version : ( And will need refresh friend list.
More, if they enter IAC or ACOL club, for example only, they will not see tables opened in different version. Html users can not see lobby club chat that calls for tables to be filled, unless they are already at the table created by html.
And even if ban on free trnys is lifted, we won't be pulled into trnys if we are in casual. Same for team matches.

I still think that upgrade should not have happened until servers able communicate.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-12, 06:40

View PostCurls77, on 2020-May-12, 06:22, said:

I still think that upgrade should not have happened until servers able communicate.

Some times you just have to make difficult decisions.

We all have our views on BBO. Some might say that those using Flash without worrying about the well publicised security issues of the platform are a danger to us all; those still using the old Windows client are selfishly consuming more resources than HTML clients, reducing the overall number of people who can play on the platform. The difference for the people at BBO is that they know these issues and how many people are affected by them.

I doubt anyone at BBO wanted to release a split-server solution that did not have seamless integration with all the major services (financial, chat, single-view of everyone). The fact that they took this decision illustrates the difficult of scaling the existing software architecture and also their desire to relieve the pressure that everyone is putting on the platform.

It is not perfect. There are and will be issues. But it is a move in a direction that the vast majority of BBO users want the platform to go.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-12, 09:17

As Paul said, we had to make a difficult decision. The system is struggling under the load, there have been a number of periods when people couldn't login because we were at capacity, and we needed a quick fix. I was actually amazed that we were able to do this as quickly as we did. But we couldn't make it totally transparent in this time.

The Windows and Flash versions are frozen, they're not going to be updated for compatibility with this change. The Android and IOS updated will be available in a few days.

#7 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-12, 13:13

View Postbarmar, on 2020-May-12, 09:17, said:

The Windows and Flash versions are frozen, they're not going to be updated for compatibility with this change. The Android and IOS updated will be available in a few days.

Will this than be death of public and private clubs? Because only club management tools are in V1, not by our choice, but because they were never integrated into any other bbo version. And if manager of the club, can not see people in club, nor members can see the admin, it becomes one queer twilight zone. <_<

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-12, 13:26

View PostCurls77, on 2020-May-12, 13:13, said:

Will this than be death of public and private clubs? Because only club management tools are in V1, not by our choice, but because they were never integrated into any other bbo version. And if manager of the club, can not see people in club, nor members can see the admin, it becomes one queer twilight zone. <_<

From what I gathered BBO stopped really supporting the idea of private clubs many years ago. They came back in through the window recently as virtual clubs, but that's a different story. The windows client was already unavailable to new (and even some old) users many years ago and Flash is destined to a well publicized and deserved death in months.

I agree that BBO has not had a linear or rapid development and sometimes gave up too easily on good ideas like clubs and automatic disclosure, but you can hardly nail them to the cross with legacy issues when the house is burning with 40,000 new users. I think they are doing a great job right now in technical terms.

#9 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-12, 14:12

Well, things rapidly change and I'd like redraw some of what I said earlier. We now DO see people using other versions and tables / trnys they created. So, it's not all that bad.

View Postpescetom, on 2020-May-12, 13:26, said:

From what I gathered BBO stopped really supporting the idea of private clubs many years ago. They came back in through the window recently as virtual clubs, but that's a different story.

I fully understand that most bbo players couldn't care less for private clubs, and BBO has been discouraging creation of new ones for years now. But clubs that still remain active are either for beginners, or interm-adv, or specific systems hard find in main bbo room, or even total points scoring. We are not talking about clubs run by and for couple of friends, but where hundreds of people learn the game, improve and maybe one day we watch them in vugraph at bbo :D All these clubs have been part of BBO since it's beginning, with hard work of so many volunteers. It will be great shame for them to end.

#10 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-12, 14:18

View Postbarmar, on 2020-May-12, 09:17, said:

As Paul said, we had to make a difficult decision. The system is struggling under the load, there have been a number of periods when people couldn't login because we were at capacity, and we needed a quick fix. I was actually amazed that we were able to do this as quickly as we did. But we couldn't make it totally transparent in this time.

Thanks, that's what I expected. Have no issues with this, just wanted to confirm that's how it worked to prevent confusion with some people I play with.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users