BBO Discussion Forums: Input Director Phrases for Tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Input Director Phrases for Tournaments Text Replacement, Not Cut/Paste

#1 User is offline   frank34589 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-26, 06:35

Do you want to input the same selected phrases during tournaments?

USING TEXT REPLACEMENT (IOS) in your keyboard settings, you can solve this input problem. (see at bottom)

For example,

If I type 'bbo', it will be corrected to "Bridge Base Online"

If I type 'ppq', it will be corrected to “Please play quickly. Pick up the pace so you do not lose a board!“

If I type 'bbi' (bridge base intro), it will be corrected to “Welcome to (aaaa) Bridge Club. Please play promptly when it is your turn. Everyone please be polite. Let’s have a fun evening.”

Because the letters bb are never used to start a word, I have set a number of phrases using bb followed by a number, such as bb1 to write:

“This evening, we are playing 6 rounds of 3 boards @ 7 minutes each, 21min per round. This tournament uses pre-dealt hands. Your convention card will default to SAYC if it is not set to something else.”

All phrases can be edited before sending, allowing for correction of information.
By using an additional letter, you can even set a second language, such as bbf1 for the same phrase in French.

Works seamlessly and flawlessly! Can also be used within any other program or application.

In IOS (Mac), go to 'System Preferences', 'Keyboard', select the 'Text' tab. After clicking on the +, type the text (ie: bbo)to be replaced under 'Replace', then type (or copy/paste) the phrase you wish to use under 'with'. That's all. The next time you type 'bbo' followed by a space, you will have 'Bridge Base Online '

Unfortunately, I have not to been able to find the equivalent under Windows 10. I apologize for this shortcoming. I will repost if I can find a solution.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-26, 15:09

Sounds like a great idea, but how do I do it under Windows 10?
Under settings I see no possibility to determine Text Replacement.
It has "Show text suggestions as I type on the hardware keyboard" which was off and I now set on, but I cannot see how to customise such suggestions.

#3 User is offline   frank34589 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-26, 18:10

View Postpescetom, on 2020-April-26, 15:09, said:

Sounds like a great idea, but how do I do it under Windows 10?
Under settings I see no possibility to determine Text Replacement.
It has "Show text suggestions as I type on the hardware keyboard" which was off and I now set on, but I cannot see how to customise such suggestions.

In IOS (Mac), go to 'System Preferences', 'Keyboard', select the 'Text' tab. After clicking on the +, type the text (ie: bbo)to be replaced under 'Replace', then type (or copy/paste) the phrase you wish to use under 'with'. That's all. The next time you type 'bbo' followed by a space, you will have 'Bridge Base Online '

Unfortunately, I have not to been able to find the equivalent under Windows 10. I apologize for this shortcoming. I will repost if I can find a solution.

#4 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-13, 11:56

In Windows, check out the free AutoHotkey {-- corrected}

This post has been edited by 0 carbon: 2020-July-14, 18:22

#5 User is offline   peterb001 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-13, 13:25

Of course, you can always load the phrases that you want in BBO's own chat manager, which is available in at least the V2 (flash) and V3 (web page) interfaces. Alternatively you can just create a text file on your computer with the phrases that you want, and save it, then you can just open it up, and copy and paste the phrases that you want.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-15, 17:50

Typinator is a good Mac app for this kind of substitution.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   cbai125480 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-30, 03:28

I know it's not the same but an interim step

In Win10 this is what I do
turn on "Clipboard History" (this is a one off setting).
I have a text file saved with all my phrases I might need and before the beginning of a game I copy <ctrl>+C all phrases individually.
Then when I need a phrase I just press <windows button>+V and select it from the list (that I copied into the clipboard history earlier).

tip - copy the least used phrases first so they are further down the list and the most used ones are closer the top

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users