BBO Discussion Forums: Please cut "CHAT->CLUB" when playing - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please cut "CHAT->CLUB" when playing

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-12, 02:03

I'm referring to the 'casual' areas of BBO of course. I know this has been asked before - by me and probably by others.

It is not possible to suppress CHAT messages sent to the CLUB, even when playing at a table, without turning off Chat altogether. This needs to be fixed, especially with the massive influx of new players (very welcome - so long as BBO can cope!). Significant messages from others at the same table are being missed because the chatline scrolls up too fast.

So could you please enable CHAT->CLUB messages to be suppressed when playing?

If I've missed something, if there is an available option somewhere to achieve this, please tell me. Alternatively, if this is completely impossible, please explain why it is impossible. Your techies have clearly been doing a lot of work making the site more robust in the current circumstances. And in the past year or so, they have come up with a completely new UI for BBO* to skirt around the 'Flash' problem. Surely they could devote a short time to fixing this problem!?

*Inferior to the old UI, in my view.

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-12, 03:01

Yes, I couldn't agree more. There should be an option for individual players to disable this facility. And neither do I want to know - please read that as being disturbed when playing (not that I play much on here these days) - that there's a Vugraph game between Mars and Venus starting soon either

You can move the scroll bar to disable all chat whatsoever, but then you also lose the chat from your own table, and chatting in a relaxed game is part of the social process, too. It's probably the only chat some (elderly) single people who are now playing online will have the whole day during these difficult times.

#3 User is offline   rahulc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-16, 15:31

FelicityR, on 2020-April-12, 03:01, said:

Yes, I couldn't agree more. There should be an option for individual players to disable this facility. And neither do I want to know - please read that as being disturbed when playing (not that I play much on here these days) - that there's a Vugraph game between Mars and Venus starting soon either

I can't help with the first part, but you can disable vugraph notifications. Account -> Settings -> Notifications: "Notify me when vugraph starts"

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-16, 16:18

FelicityR, on 2020-April-12, 03:01, said:

You can move the scroll bar to disable all chat whatsoever, but then you also lose the chat from your own table

Could this explain why during a recent tournament I did not receive chat from table and table did not receive my chat?
I figured it might be because everyone except me was on the old Flash client.

Not sure what you mean by move the scroll bar. If you mean raise the border between the table view and the chat scroll area to have more than one line of chat visible then I can only do this in some contexts, bug already notified to BBO.

#5 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-22, 06:18

rahulc, on 2020-April-16, 15:31, said:

I can't help with the first part, but you can disable vugraph notifications.
I had already done that! I'm not that stupid!

pescetom, on 2020-April-16, 16:18, said:

Not sure what you mean by move the scroll bar. If you mean raise the border between the table view and the chat scroll area to have more than one line of chat visible then I can only do this in some contexts, bug already notified to BBO.
You can drag the separator bar between the table area and the chat area, up and down with the mouse. I don't know if or how it works on phones, though. If you're using the old flash version, then if you drag the separator right down to the bottom, a 'chat' tab pops up on the rhs of the screen. With the new version, the chat just disappears altogether.

But this is not what I want. I want to selectively disable chat directed to the 'club', whilst keeping other forms of chat active.

Seeing as none of the Admins seem to have noticed this thread - or if they have, they're not answering - I'll repeat:

Which part of "Please cut CHAT->CLUB when playing" did you not understand?

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-22, 08:31

661_Pete, on 2020-April-22, 06:18, said:

Seeing as none of the Admins seem to have noticed this thread - or if they have, they're not answering - I'll repeat:

Which part of "Please cut CHAT->CLUB when playing" did you not understand?

If you're expecting immediate implementation, you don't understand how this works. You make suggestions, we take note of them, and maybe someday they'll reach the top of the priority list and get implemented. We don't generally comment on them right away.

#7 User is offline   johnjo42 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-June-06, 17:17

The problem seems to be caused by the chat window remembering the last person you chatted to. In the (in my view) better Windows software the chat default was always to the table and if you wanted to chat to someone else, opponents, club, kibs etc, you had to select that choice. So if you post a request for opponents to the club, the program will continue to chat to the club unless you change it manually.

#8 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-07, 14:45

johnjo42, on 2020-June-06, 17:17, said:

The problem seems to be caused by the chat window remembering the last person you chatted to. In the (in my view) better Windows software the chat default was always to the table and if you wanted to chat to someone else, opponents, club, kibs etc, you had to select that choice. So if you post a request for opponents to the club, the program will continue to chat to the club unless you change it manually.

Maybe the default for a player could be to table and the default for a director be to last destinee unless 1 minute has passed or table occupants have changed (in which case force to choose).
I would certainly prefer being forced to choose rather than having an embarassing default.

#9 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2020-June-17, 05:26

pescetom, on 2020-June-07, 14:45, said:

Maybe the default for a player could be to table and the default for a director be to last destinee unless 1 minute has passed or table occupants have changed (in which case force to choose).
I would certainly prefer being forced to choose rather than having an embarassing default.

I would prefer any default to be set fo chat to Opponents.

#10 User is offline   LELP 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-21, 02:52

pescetom, on 2020-June-07, 14:45, said:

i totally agree with this. It is so easy to ask LOBBY for players to come to a table & then start talking to the LOBBY (by mistake) to welcome new players to table etc.. Others playing at other tables start getting very annoyed ... understandably. If the DEFAULT was BACK TO TABLE everytime then one would positively have to select LOBBY if really wanting to talk to Lobby.
One more thing ........... some players use TALK TO LOBBY for the fun of it and some banter strings go on & on. Most irritating to those just trying to play. Can this not be banned, frowned upon or reportable.

#11 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-21, 03:33

There is an option in settings to disable Lobby chat which works very well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users