BBO Discussion Forums: how do you play team games on BBO? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do you play team games on BBO?

#1 User is offline   susurice 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-April-04, 11:38

How do you play team games on BBO?

#2 User is offline   Phil Hoult 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-04, 14:46

View Postsusurice, on 2020-April-04, 11:38, said:

How do you play team games on BBO?

This is my question also. Im blocked as a "brand new user"

#3 User is offline   pgrice 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-04, 15:09

View PostPhil Hoult, on 2020-April-04, 14:46, said:

This is my question also. Im blocked as a "brand new user"

I think you have to have 100+ logins before you can create team matches.

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-05, 02:41

There are three ways of playing a team match:
  • You run (host) a match yourself
  • You are invited to play in a match by the host
  • You join a random team match

Only users with 100+ logins can create team matches.

Watch both these short videos:
Creating a team match: https://youtu.be/5kiuLfsQRIY
Substitutions and cancelling a match: https://youtu.be/RJ9SsLN68aA

There is other useful information on my club's website at https://berwickbridgeclub.co.uk/bbo.

If you go to Competitive->Team matches, then you will see all the team matches that are waiting for people to fill them before starting. These are what I mean by random team matches. If you want to play with a specific partner, then ask the host of the match to invite the two of you together. If you do not care who you play with, then just sit in a seat.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   AdrianKing 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-06, 05:33

Paul thank you very much for all the stuff you have done to help us understand more about BBO.

Is there any way to set up a teams of 8 Match?

#6 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-06, 05:38

View PostAdrianKing, on 2020-April-06, 05:33, said:

Paul thank you very much for all the stuff you have done to help us understand more about BBO.

Is there any way to set up a teams of 8 Match?

Run two teams of four matches with the same boards. Either total the imps or use a spreadsheet and the appropriate imp scale (the EBU has a teams of eight scale). Or run it as aggregate scoring and total points.

I am running a teams of 16 match tomorrow night; I am going to total the individual imp match scores.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   kees7777 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-06, 07:25

thanks very much for the video's explaining the setting up of a teammatch.
Once you have entered the names and all people are online are they automatically directed to the table or do they have to click on their name?
How do I know they are all seated before I click the create match button?

Thanks for your reply

#8 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-06, 08:01

View Postkees7777, on 2020-April-06, 07:25, said:

thanks very much for the video's explaining the setting up of a teammatch.
Once you have entered the names and all people are online are they automatically directed to the table or do they have to click on their name?
How do I know they are all seated before I click the create match button?

Thanks for your reply

Once you've entered the names and they are all online, click the Create team match. If they are not all online and you try to create it, you will receive an error message saying XYZ is not online. The create window is not destroyed so you can easily repeat the create when the final person appears.

Each player now receives an invitation to play in the team match. When everyone has accepted then the team match is started and all the players are automatically taken to the correct table, even if they are playing at a casual table or watching Vugraph.

Do not close the Create team match window until everyone has accepted and the match has started. It is common for someone not to accept inadvertently. Either they were off getting a coffee, misclicked, or did not see the Accept button on a iPad. This causes the match creation to fail but you will see the culprit(s). The create window is not destroyed so you can easily repeat the invitations. I find a simple, "Ready?", to the offender is sufficient :)
The Beer Card

#9 User is offline   poppetty 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-06, 08:39

View Postpgrice, on 2020-April-04, 15:09, said:

I think you have to have 100+ logins before you can create team matches.

I have 100+ logins with an account set=up in 2014 but still it says I'm a new User and can't set-up a Team Game...?

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-06, 08:42

You have exactly 100 logins, and the 100th was this morning. You should be able to create a team game now.

#11 User is offline   Summer446 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-06, 10:55

I have more than 100+, I am new member, so i can not create team game

#12 User is offline   kees7777 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-06, 11:55

View Postpaulg, on 2020-April-06, 08:01, said:

Once you've entered the names and they are all online, click the Create team match. If they are not all online and you try to create it, you will receive an error message saying XYZ is not online. The create window is not destroyed so you can easily repeat the create when the final person appears.

Each player now receives an invitation to play in the team match. When everyone has accepted then the team match is started and all the players are automatically taken to the correct table, even if they are playing at a casual table or watching Vugraph.

Do not close the Create team match window until everyone has accepted and the match has started. It is common for someone not to accept inadvertently. Either they were off getting a coffee, misclicked, or did not see the Accept button on a iPad. This causes the match creation to fail but you will see the culprit(s). The create window is not destroyed so you can easily repeat the invitations. I find a simple, "Ready?", to the offender is sufficient :)

#13 User is offline   kees7777 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-06, 11:56

Thanks very much!

#14 User is offline   kees7777 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-07, 07:29

One more question if I may: When palyers accept the invitation by clicking the accept button, are they then directed to the table where they have to click on their name or are they directly directed to their seat?

Also I understand that if I want to play in two halves with change of seats as in a "normal" team of four event I have to set up a new match. That will be no problem, but how do I know that both tables have finished the first half. Do all players have to leave their seats first (and I can see in my persons tab that they are no longer sitting at the table) or can they stay and join the new table when everybody is ready and get the invitation?

Thanks again for your help

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-07, 07:39

View Postkees7777, on 2020-April-07, 07:29, said:

One more question if I may: When palyers accept the invitation by clicking the accept button, are they then directed to the table where they have to click on their name or are they directly directed to their seat?

They're automatically put in their seats.

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-April-07, 07:59

At some point in time, it would be nice if BBO improved the option for creating team games.

Ideally, I'd like a system by which

1. Individuals, pairs, and teams could register themselves for team games
2. The system would then automatically match folks for a 16 board tournament.
3. If anyone quits early, they're banned from the system for a week
Alderaan delenda est

#17 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-07, 09:57

Also I understand that if I want to play in two halves with change of seats as in a "normal" team of four event I have to set up a new match. That will be no problem, but how do I know that both tables have finished the first half. Do all players have to leave their seats first (and I can see in my persons tab that they are no longer sitting at the table) or can they stay and join the new table when everybody is ready and get the invitation?

Yes, you need to run two matches. That raises the big decision of whether the slowest players should be allowed to grab a coffee before setting the second match.

When any table finishes in a team match, that table closes and the players are left in the Lobby. Normally the quicker players go and kibitz the slower table to see how easy it is to play with 52 cards visible.
The Beer Card

#18 User is offline   Phil Hoult 

• Pip

Posted 2020-April-08, 05:19

I understand that I need 100+ logins to start a team match with 7 friends.
I have 102 logins, completed today, but am still blocked with the message that I am a "brand new user"
Anyone have any idea where I can go from here?

#19 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2020-April-08, 07:26

View PostPhil Hoult, on 2020-April-08, 05:19, said:

I understand that I need 100+ logins to start a team match with 7 friends.
I have 102 logins, completed today, but am still blocked with the message that I am a "brand new user"
Anyone have any idea where I can go from here?

You also need to have been a member for two weeks.
The Beer Card

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-09, 02:34

Something to take care with is that you enter names based on teams not tables. It not infrequent for people to get this wrong and find that they are set to play against their own team-mates!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users