Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Add option to Boot Host

#1 User is offline   fbellam 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-07, 12:39

Hosts have the option to boot players (and do so, often for no reason other than pique at being defeated at a contract).
Also, hosts can become obnoxious, and the other players at the table have no option but to suffer, or leave what otherwise would be an enjoyable game.
I've also seen the case where a host logs off, but is not automatically disconnected from the table.

Would it be possible to add a "Boot host" option, such that if the other three players at the table click it, then the Host is removed from the table ?

I see it working like this:
- A non-host player clicks [Boot host], BBO sets the BootHost flag for that player, and checks the BootHost flags for the other non-host players at the table.
- If the other non-host BootHost flags are set, then boot the host.
- All BootHost flags at a table would be cleared when the host for that table leaves (either voluntarily or as a result of being booted).
- A player's BootHost flag would be cleared when he leaves a table.

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-07, 16:15

Really bad idea. If the host is that obnoxious, report abuse and set up your own table without them. I also 'follow' such people and add any strange chat into the note area as well as reminding myself - in the note area - to avoid them. I believe this is a much better way of managing the situation. Otherwise, BBOworld will descend into complete chaos. Just like Trumpworld.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   fbellam 

• Pip

Posted 2020-March-09, 13:32

So how is it more chaotic to allow a consensus of three people to boot one person, versus one person being able to boot another, on a whim ?

#4 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2020-March-14, 01:24

The original suggestion sounds like a good idea to me.
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

#5 User is offline   wmb1956 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-March-29, 14:28

Once the crisis is over, I think that this is a really good idea. There is no reason to ruin a good table because the host has fallen asleep or lost his connection. And, some clearly are doing something else at the same time. Maybe have a minimum inaction time of 60 seconds or so.

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-30, 04:09

View Postwmb1956, on 2020-March-29, 14:28, said:

And, some clearly are doing something else at the same time. Maybe have a minimum inaction time of 60 seconds or so.

Perhaps a maximum may work better ?

#7 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-30, 04:40

When I look at the list of things BBO has to do, including solve world poverty, I think this one is near the bottom.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-30, 06:02

View Postpaulg, on 2020-March-30, 04:40, said:

When I look at the list of things BBO has to do, including solve world poverty, I think this one is near the bottom.

And being able to specify that sitouts/dropouts are replaced automatically by a robot is near the top :)
Along with History remaining on the screen during play with the Android app on a tablet.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users