BBO Discussion Forums: A Bizarre Auction and Result. What went wrong? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Bizarre Auction and Result. What went wrong?

#1 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-08, 13:49

This happened in the Camrose match between England and Northern Ireland. 7-5! (At the other table 6 was made.)

Obviously, 1 is a Walsh transfer for s, 2 a game force or re-transfer. But how did they end up in 7. 7 or 7NT I could understand. Can you enlighten me? I am thoroughly mystified.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-08, 15:21

I have no pretence to understand Transfer Walsh but I too am mystified.
They have 33 HCP and all controls, their diamonds are 3-3 without the Q.
We would have bid comfortably to 6 and North would correct to 6NT at MP.

#3 User is offline   mythdoc 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-08, 18:04

I guess it is an involuntary error, north crossed his wires somehow. I recently made a similar blunder, not to say I am worthy of the comparison to a player at that level mind you. After opening 1NT then super accepting a spade transfer, pard retransfered with 4 and I passed! The bidding went 1NT-2-2NT-4H- and I passed. I don’t see any other explanation than that N, after two transfers, bid the suit his partner had been using as a transfer by mistake.

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-09, 05:57

I don't know what the rest of the auction meant after 3H, but 7D was meant as choose between 7H and 7NT, only because it was clubs that had been doubled and not diamonds, it got misconstrued.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-March-09, 07:09

View Postmanudude03, on 2020-March-09, 05:57, said:

I don't know what the rest of the auction meant after 3H, but 7D was meant as choose between 7H and 7NT, only because it was clubs that had been doubled and not diamonds, it got misconstrued.

Maybe, although it looks probable that the auction was off the rails well before that. If 4NT was RKCB, what was 5? If 4NT was intended as RKCB in hearts then maybe North decided that the only explanation of 5 was 3 keycards in diamonds. Not that that justifies a grand slam try without knowledge about the queen. Is there video recording of the encounter?

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-09, 07:25

View Postpescetom, on 2020-March-09, 07:09, said:

Maybe, although it looks probable that the auction was off the rails well before that. If 4NT was RKCB, what was 5? If 4NT was intended as RKCB in hearts then maybe North decided that the only explanation of 5 was 3 keycards in diamonds. Not that that justifies a grand slam try without knowledge about the queen. Is there video recording of the encounter?

Other than vugraph, no, but I was in the Northern Ireland team (sitting out that set) and that was what was explained to East. I agree there is a chance the auction had gone off the rails before that though.
Wayne Somerville

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-March-09, 09:29

SIRS/MADAM.I ,too, was watching this game.No audio was available and there were no explanations available.Our pair was obviously using innumerable artificial bids. 7D must be asking partner to choose 7H/NT .This artificial bid again was never understood by South. Although I agree that it is all easy to comment when not on the table and sees all cards, yet I feel that North had very little justification for forcing a grand slam.The auction had probably already derailed.I was very worried that South may pass this 7D bid.And horror of horrors! South indeed passed !They tried to burrow a mountain and unfortunately only a Jerry came out. Well! Good luck to all these artificial bids.

#8 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-09, 14:30

View Postmythdoc, on 2020-March-08, 18:04, said:

I guess it is an involuntary error, north crossed his wires somehow. I recently made a similar blunder, not to say I am worthy of the comparison to a player at that level mind you. After opening 1NT then super accepting a spade transfer, pard retransfered with 4 and I passed! The bidding went 1NT-2-2NT-4H- and I passed. I don’t see any other explanation than that N, after two transfers, bid the suit his partner had been using as a transfer by mistake.

I kibitzed an early round of the 1984 Spingold. Stansby opened a major. Martel responded 1NT forcing. Stansby bid 2 . Martel bid 3 . Stansby alerted and explained that it showed a big fit, unrelated to the suit. Stansby bid 3NT (I think). Martel thought he hadn't conveyed the power of his hand, so he bid . 4 . Stansby bid 5. Martel thought he *still* hadn't shown the power of his hand. So he bid 5 . . . . . .

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-March-09, 15:22

In this hyperconnected global village, nobody can ask (diplomatically) the players concerned?

It took me just 20 minutes to find out what the heck Giorgio Duboin's 2 opening meant on the decisive hand against Russia :)

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-March-10, 06:55

I was present but benched for the last round. I understand that North was unwell and had asked not to play, but the request came too late. He mistook the auction at some point. Nothing more interesting than that.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#11 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-10, 07:10

I was North.

The auction presented is incorrect in a number of places (I've not checked if it was wrong on vugraph). It was actually pretty natural other than 1 showing hearts and 4 keycard for hearts.

At some point, my partner bid 6 over 6, obviously asking me to choose between 6NT and a grand-slam. Without conviction, I accepted, and cuebid the opponent's suit as a choice of strains - or so I thought - it turned out I had remembered RHO as doubling 5 but he had actually doubled 5. I was a little surprised when partner passed!

As Lamford referenced, I was having some temporary health issue, although I hadn't actually asked my NPC if I could sit out - I realised 5 minutes before the set that I shouldn't play, but line-ups had already been submitted and I thought it was too late to change them. Live and learn :rolleyes:

#12 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-10, 09:38

View PostMickyB, on 2020-March-10, 07:10, said:

I was North.

The auction presented is incorrect in a number of places (I've not checked if it was wrong on vugraph). It was actually pretty natural other than 1 showing hearts and 4 keycard for hearts.

At some point, my partner bid 6 over 6, obviously asking me to choose between 6NT and a grand-slam. Without conviction, I accepted, and cuebid the opponent's suit as a choice of strains - or so I thought - it turned out I had remembered RHO as doubling 5 but he had actually doubled 5. I was a little surprised when partner passed!

As Lamford referenced, I was having some temporary health issue, although I hadn't actually asked my NPC if I could sit out - I realised 5 minutes before the set that I shouldn't play, but line-ups had already been submitted and I thought it was too late to change them. Live and learn :rolleyes:

Thank you for clarifying that, MickyB. I transcribed the auction exactly as it was conveyed on Vugraph. (I might add that I watched a number of games over the weekend and there were other Vugraph errors I noticed on other boards, too.)

I hope you are feeling better. You were not the only one who was surprised when partner passed 7. C'est la vie. Next hand.

#13 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-March-10, 10:33

As an amusing aside, readers might like to work out the minimum that North's diamonds would need to be strengthened for there to be a layout which allows 7D to make with best defence in a 3-3 fit. I think Jon Cooke and I managed it and you have to remove a heart from Nort! And, much more relevantly, how should you play 6NT by North on, say, the eight of clubs lead. A very fine declarer went off, so it is not trivial.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-March-11, 10:30

View Postlamford, on 2020-March-10, 10:33, said:

As an amusing aside, readers might like to work out the minimum that North's diamonds would need to be strengthened for there to be a layout which allows 7D to make with best defence. I think Jon Cooke and I managed it! And, much more relevantly, how should you play 6NT by North on, say, the eight of clubs lead. A very fine declarer went off, so it is not trivial.

Sir ,thanks for the explanations as regards the Auction as well as the health problems faced at the time..

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users