BBO Discussion Forums: Alert Manager - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alert Manager

Poll: Alert Manager (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Would this speed up the online tournaments?

1. yes (5 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. no (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

would you use this if it were available

1. yes (5 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. no (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   JoeE 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-19, 13:12

I think it would help speed up the online tournaments if there was an alert manager similar to the chat manager where you could save and edit the alerts. This would be especially helpful to pairs who play precision where most of the bids must be alerted. Instead of having to type each alert you could just click on the proper alert.

#2 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-19, 15:52

View PostJoeE, on 2020-March-19, 13:12, said:

I think it would help speed up the online tournaments if there was an alert manager similar to the chat manager where you could save and edit the alerts. This would be especially helpful to pairs who play precision where most of the bids must be alerted. Instead of having to type each alert you could just click on the proper alert.

See my post https://www.bridgeba...isclosure-tool/
If you have questions : stanmaz.git@gmail.com
I can help you to set up automatic alerts for Precision system.

#3 User is offline   jim_r 

• Pip

Posted 2021-March-23, 16:55

View Poststanmaz, on 2020-March-19, 15:52, said:

See my post https://www.bridgeba...isclosure-tool/
If you have questions : stanmaz.git@gmail.com
I can help you to set up automatic alerts for Precision system.

I tried using bboalert for a little while, I found it very difficult to set up and to use. maybe I'm just not doing it right? seems like you have to learn a new language to program your bidding system into bboalert-ese, then spend hours programming.

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-March-23, 17:11

The fundamental flaw in BBOAlert, which completely kills it's useability, is that the stored alerts are not partner specific. Makes it compltely worthless - I play different systems with different people.

#5 User is offline   nwken 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-March-23, 21:33

View PostJoeE, on 2020-March-19, 13:12, said:

This would work for simpler alerts. But for more complex ones, a player needs to spell out the exact meaning of a bid. Far too often, I see an alert that is (for example) nothing more than "Drury", which could mean contradictory things. According to ACBL Alert Procedures, "Stating the common or popular name of the convention is not sufficient."

I fear that an Alert Manager would encourage improper alerts, at least at some levels of play.

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-23, 21:41

View Postnwken, on 2021-March-23, 21:33, said:

I fear that an Alert Manager would encourage improper alerts, at least at some levels of play.

it would do the exact opposite, because you could type in the full meaning *in advance*.

#7 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-24, 00:10

View PostTylerE, on 2021-March-23, 17:11, said:

The fundamental flaw in BBOAlert, which completely kills it's useability, is that the stored alerts are not partner specific. Makes it compltely worthless - I play different systems with different people.

Automatic selection of the bidding system or/and conventions depending of who is your actual partner is a fundamental feature of BBOalert. Please read the "Optional Code" and "Partnership options" sections of the README.md file on the project page :

https://github.com/stanmaz/BBOalert

After all I will be pleased to help you to set up BBOalert and to answer your questions : stanmaz.git@gmail.com

At this moment there are 570 users and many o them are in the same situation as you. Please join the BBOalert users on Facebook :

https://www.facebook...06384146770707/

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-24, 09:31

View Poststanmaz, on 2021-March-24, 00:10, said:

Automatic selection of the bidding system or/and conventions depending of who is your actual partner is a fundamental feature of BBOalert. Please read the "Optional Code" and "Partnership options" sections of the README.md file on the project page :

I have, and it doesn't satisfy. I want totally seperate databases per partner. There is really NOTHING shared. In particular, in use with the autorecord system it's just hopelessly useless. Recorded alerts should record with the current partner *only*.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-24, 09:55

And I have situations where I'd prefer to add common structures to an individual base. Frex: I play Stayman with all but one of my partners, and almost all of the Stayman structure is identical (direct 3 bids are different). I play the same J2N structure with everyone, but with one partner the point ranges are pushed up about 1 HCP, because our Precision 1M minimum openings are pushed down about 1 HCP. KC agreements come in two basic flavours, I want to add the one that applies to the T, or the J, card vs the E card. Et eternally cetera.

Would much prefer a file per partner, with "includes" to other files or sections of a common file, rather than having to cut out 3 or 4 different versions of each thing every time.

Never mind the partner with whom I play three *completely* different systems, depending on frustration level, opponent calibre, and alcohol concentration. How am I supposed to handle that?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-24, 15:03

View Postmycroft, on 2021-March-24, 09:55, said:

And I have situations where I'd prefer to add common structures to an individual base. Frex: I play Stayman with all but one of my partners, and almost all of the Stayman structure is identical (direct 3 bids are different). I play the same J2N structure with everyone, but with one partner the point ranges are pushed up about 1 HCP, because our Precision 1M minimum openings are pushed down about 1 HCP. KC agreements come in two basic flavours, I want to add the one that applies to the T, or the J, card vs the E card. Et eternally cetera.

Would much prefer a file per partner, with "includes" to other files or sections of a common file, rather than having to cut out 3 or 4 different versions of each thing every time.

Never mind the partner with whom I play three *completely* different systems, depending on frustration level, opponent calibre, and alcohol concentration. How am I supposed to handle that?

BBOalert adresses exactly what you need : "a file per partner, with "includes" to other files or sections of a common file,"

BBOalert enables you to split your entire data in smaller files. Then for each of your partners you can use a root file containing only public URL links to the pieces that apply to that partner. Each individual file should be stored in the cloud and must be publicly shared.

BBOalert supports only Dropbox but it should not be a problem because it provides 2Gb of storage for free. For details see section "Dropbox support" in the README.md file on the project page https://github.com/stanmaz/BBOalert.

Playing different system with different partners is not easy to manage. So I will be pleased to help you to set up the data structure if needed : stanmaz.git@gmail.com

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-24, 15:29

That seems colossally over-complicated.

All I want is this: Record the alerts I make, and use them with THAT PARTNER and THAT PARTNER ONLY. I don't want to touch files by hand. The point is to save effort, not create it.

#12 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-25, 03:15

View PostTylerE, on 2021-March-24, 15:29, said:

That seems colossally over-complicated.

All I want is this: Record the alerts I make, and use them with THAT PARTNER and THAT PARTNER ONLY. I don't want to touch files by hand. The point is to save effort, not create it.

I have misunderstood your problem. I am sorry.

If you are only interested in recording and replaying alerts there is a simple solution : use two different browsers. E.g. Chrome for partner1 and Edge for partner2. Each browser works in its own space.

Alerts are recorded in the browser's cache which you may wish to clear from time to time. Before clearing cache don't forget to export the recorded alerts to a file. Otherwise they will be lost.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users