Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Math stuff But I had to post this

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-18, 08:16

Hillel Furstenberg and Gregory Margulis have been chosen to share the Abel prize in mathematics.

https://www.nytimes....athematics.html

and

https://www.jpost.co...of-Maths-621414

This brings me back to my mathematical childhood.

I was a grad student in math at the University of Minnesota in the early 1960s when I learned of this new prof they had hired, Harry (aka Hillel) Furstenberg. He is three years older than I am, he was already a prof, and quickly promoted to full prof. That wasn't enough to keep him, he soon moved to Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

Here is a quote from the second link:

When one of his earliest academic papers was published, rumors circulated that 'Furstenberg' wasn't a person, but a pseudonym for a group working together, as his colleagues couldn't understand how it could be that one person could pull wide-ranging ideas from many different areas together.

This is a fine description. He would state a theorem to be proved and then outline perhaps three different ways of proving it, each coming at it from a different conceptual angle, all three approaches described clearly. I had never before seen anything like this.

One more quote:
"Hillel is not only a world-class mathematician but a mensch and mentor to scores of students who have already changed the face of mathematics. We couldn't be prouder of his award, a Nobel-level achievement."

Absolutely correct.

There is a lot of stuff going on right now, for me this was great news to wake up to.

Ken

#2 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-18, 16:14

It's a privilege to know people like this. You are very lucky. I have met a few: it's a very humbling experience.
Non legit hoc

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-19, 04:20

Its a good thing sometimes to go through all the illustrious people we have been lucky enough to study with or from, and work with or for, over the years. Thanks for the post Ken

PS I have a rather scary list of people I could list, and always dreamed to be on a list one day :), but....

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users