BBO Discussion Forums: Are the bots really programmed to play bridge? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are the bots really programmed to play bridge? Bots ignoring basic bidding rules

#1 User is offline   pyrrhus99 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-01, 18:23

I open 1c in 4th position, overcalled by 1d, and my partner Bot, with Ax xxx Qx KJxxxx bids 2c (not 2d or 3c) and never bids again, allowing them to steal the contract in hearts when we have an 11 card fit...How can the "program" make such blunders? On another hand in the same set, it passed my 1c bid, vulnerable, with 3hcp, 2clubs, and a 6 card heart suit...We played in a 3-2 fit and got clobbered.....

#2 User is offline   Povratnik 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-03, 12:30

pyrrhus99, on 2020-March-01, 18:23, said:

I open 1c in 4th position, overcalled by 1d, and my partner Bot, with Ax xxx Qx KJxxxx bids 2c (not 2d or 3c) and never bids again, allowing them to steal the contract in hearts when we have an 11 card fit...How can the "program" make such blunders? On another hand in the same set, it passed my 1c bid, vulnerable, with 3hcp, 2clubs, and a 6 card heart suit...We played in a 3-2 fit and got clobbered.....

You should post the whole auction (and vulnerabilities, your hand etc.)... I don't see any blunder made by program. If the robot was in balancing position after opponents' 2, he perhaps (but only perhaps) made a mistake by passing, but nobody could call it a blunder without knowing the whole auction...
Alien in the XXI century, arrived by time machine

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-04, 02:56

Hi Pyrrhus, welcome to the forum!

10 points is just short of the 2 bid, and 3 would be weak. It should probably have balanced against 2 but sell out against 4.

Passing a 1 opening with 3 points is normal unless you play weak jump shifts or Dutch Double responses. Which GIB doesn't. GIB plays a fairly normal 2/1 system.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2020-March-04, 17:22

pyrrhus99, on 2020-March-01, 18:23, said:

If you are saying that that Gib sold out at 2-level then it was a poor decision, which is frequently the case with this robot. The hand is not quite good enough for 2D cue as Helen said, but 2C and 3C also have flaws. However, there is one thing for sure--Gib must compete to at least 3-level with 6-card club support and an outside ace. I'd pick between 2D and 3C for its first call.

A weak jump shift would be perfect for 2nd hand, but they aren't part of the Gib 2/1 system,

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users