Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yet another bidding problem

#1 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-25, 11:22

I had a game at the bridge club last night, and this was one of the hands. I'm curious what contract you'd arrive at, how you'd get there, etc... I'll post the full hand later. :)

South is dealer. It's IMPs.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-February-25, 12:37

6N seems most likely

Strong club opening, bunch of relays.

Once it turns out that North has three Spades and no Queen, any grand seems... Problematic.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2020-February-25, 12:45

1s-2c
2d-4d
4nt-5s
6s

4d shows the double fit. It would be nice to show the stiff heart also but unfortunately....

5s shows two kcs with one of the two queens. Maybe we should show which one but then we would have to bypass 5s.

Without knowing about the stiff heart we don't find 7d.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 12:51

2C (not GF) 2D (nothing special, and suits too weak + risk part has H to try fancy stuff)
2S (strong 2, 8 playing tricks) 3S (forcing raise, SI+)
4C 4D (controls)
4NT (5KCB) 5H (2 w/o)
6S

But 6NT is probably safer given we have 2 stoppers everywhere

Let me guess, W had QT95 of trumps and the lead was D so you didn’t take the safe play?

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 12:59

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-February-25, 12:37, said:

6N seems most likely

Strong club opening, bunch of relays.

Once it turns out that North has three Spades and no Queen, any grand seems... Problematic.

Not at all, 7 is great, diamonds 3-2 and spades 3-1/2-2 or diamonds 4-1 and the spades coming in.

For us:

1-2
2N(GF not necessarily bal)-3(5)
3(bigger than just bidding 2 which would be forcing, about 19+)-3
4-4
4-4N(keycard )
5(0/3)-5(Q?)
5(no)-5N(anything else to say)
6N(both red Ks)-7

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-February-25, 13:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-February-25, 12:59, said:

Not at all, 7 is great, diamonds 3-2 and spades 3-1/2-2 or diamonds 4-1 and the spades coming in.

D'oh. I missed the spade pitch for 7!
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 14:48

Finding grand with relays after a strong club seems problematic on this hand. You need to find out about the diamond J. Maybe your relay system has enough room to find out jacks with these hands, but most systems will be able to get to jacks only in a few fortunate cases.

#8 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-February-25, 15:17

nullve-nullve:

1(1)-2(2)
2(3)-2N(4)
3(5)-3(6)
3(7)-3(8)
4(9)-4N(10)
5(11)-5(12)
6(13)-7(14)
P

(1) "10-21 (or, rather: meets the rule of 19, but not the rule of 31), 5+ S, unBAL"
(2) "NAT, quasi-BAL or Drury"
(3) "19-21" (or, rather: meets the rule of 28, but not the rule of 31), very rarely 1-suited, not 4+ H unless 5S5H
(4) relay
(5) usually 4+ D, but never 5S5D2-C
(6) relay
(7) either 5242, 6S4D(21), 6+S0H4+D or 8+S3(!)D
(8) relay
(9) 6S4D(21), hence 18-20 hcp
(10) Key card ask agreeing S
(11) odd # of key cards, no trump Q
(12) K ask
(13) K, 6241, K, no Q
(14) contract, hopefully (or 8 ask :(. I need more precise rules here.)

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 16:04

This could go two ways for us.

If North was feeling conservative it would probably just go:
2 - 2
2 - 4 (spl.)
4NT - 5 (2-Q)
6 - p.

With more courage it might go:
2 - 2NT (both minors strong)
3 - 4 (RKC )
4 (3) - 5 (K?)
6 (all) - 7
p.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-February-25, 16:27

Showing both hands tends to distort the posts, since we sometimes tend to ‘know’ the final contract

Here, the start is clear, in a standa d sort of method: 1S. 2C

Opener has a big hand so the tradionall way of bidding 6=4 hands is to bid the 4carder now, intending to show the 6th spade later.

So 1S 2C 2D

Now responder has a tough call. At MPs, showing the spades seems clear, but at imps, this hand now has slam potential....picture AQxxx Ax Kxxxx x as a not great hand for partner where slam is cold.

So I think at i,ps, one raises to 3D and now opener has a huge hand. He will assume, incorrectly, that responder lacks 3 spades, so could well keyca d (for us, 4H as kickback)

Over the the 5D, 2 with the Queen, south can count 13 tricks on decent splits, and partner is allowed a better hand: say x xxx AQJx AQxxx, so bidding 7D rates to be little, if any, worse than 3-2 trumps and nothing truly ugly in the blacks, and could be flat out cold.

Would I and any of my favourite partners get there? I don’t know.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 16:40

View Postmikeh, on 2020-February-25, 16:27, said:

Showing both hands tends to distort the posts, since we sometimes tend to ‘know’ the final contract

I considered this when making the post, but, alas, I have no way to get useful feedback without providing both. :(

I'll wait a little while longer before posting my auction and the full hand. Although, honestly, I think both are irrelevant. They just distract peoples' attention from what actually matters, which is the process/methodology. **shrug**

#12 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 17:08

I'll be honest. It's more likely that we will reach a small slam than a grand slam, then again we haven't got all the sophisticated bidding techniques or relay systems that other players have. Make the J the Q and it's far easier to get there.

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-February-25, 17:20

View Postmikeh, on 2020-February-25, 16:27, said:

So 1S 2C 2D

Now responder has a tough call. At MPs, showing the spades seems clear, but at imps, this hand now has slam potential....picture AQxxx Ax Kxxxx x as a not great hand for partner where slam is cold.

So I think at imps, one raises to 3D and now opener has a huge hand. He will assume, incorrectly, that responder lacks 3 spades, so could well keycard (for us, 4H as kickback)

If we were we to open 1S rather than 2C it would go this way.
Why would your opener assume that responder bidding 3D lacks 3 spades?
For us, he knows it is possible or even probable in the circumstances, in any case the invitation is to investigate slam in diamonds.

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-February-25, 17:36

View Postpescetom, on 2020-February-25, 17:20, said:

If we were we to open 1S rather than 2C it would go this way.
Why would your opener assume that responder bidding 3D lacks 3 spades?
For us, he knows it is possible or even probable in the circumstances, in any case the invitation is to investigate slam in diamonds.

Because, on many hands, one would raise spades. Indeed, say I held Jxx xx AQxx AQxx, I would bid 2S over 2D, since this hand, despite having more hcp, is less slam suitable.

I said ‘assume’, rather than ‘know’, because in most constructive bidding situations one has at some point to make assumptions in order to determine what to do next. Plus, here, opener, having assumed 1 or 2 spades, will also know that all is not yet lost should responder hold xxx.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 18:37

That's the full layout and our auction. It doesn't make on a club lead. Fortunately, I received the singleton spade lead.

I was mostly curious as to how many people would reliably find the diamond fit, it's not so easy for 2/1 players to avoid the small slam in spades or NT. I agree with many in this thread though, I think it's a good grand to play, just rather hard to find.

#16 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-26, 01:21

We'd be in 6S (IMPs) after
1S - 3H (0-1 cards, at least invitational in S)
3NT (H cue) - 4C
4NT RKCB, etc.

We don't have methods for double fits. Not yet at least.

#17 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-February-26, 01:31

View PostKingCovert, on 2020-February-25, 18:37, said:

That's the full layout and our auction. It doesn't make on a club lead. Fortunately, I received the singleton spade lead.

I was mostly curious as to how many people would reliably find the diamond fit, it's not so easy for 2/1 players to avoid the small slam in spades or NT. I agree with many in this thread though, I think it's a good grand to play, just rather hard to find.

Sir,having a glance at your bidding sequence is it not STRANGE that the spade suit was never ever mentioned ! And if the opening was 1C then how come the response was 1D ?All in all it appears to be a strange
system. Leaving it all alone I must admit that even playing a strong club system or a standard system we will never ever bid 7D as we just can not count to 13.One can never make if the spades break 4-0 as you have seen earlier.Although one can easily see that a safety play in spade suit will ensure 12 tricks in 6S how can one know the presence of a Jxx with N and the most important EIGHT of spades in S hand ?In a contract of 7D there is the possibility of a spade ruff on the opening lead itself.One easily sees the SJ in the diagram but not in real life bidding.!.All said we shall stop in 6S as its an IMP event and in 6NT when it is MP scoring.How one reaches these contracts and that too easily has been amply discussed by all others.I have to admit even any contract either 6S or 7D go down by replying that either opponent "may"hold QJ109 of spades or diamonds may break 5-0.But in a broad sense practically every pair may bid 6NT OR 6S as per their mood and methods.THANKS

#18 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-February-26, 07:02

View Postmikeh, on 2020-February-25, 17:36, said:

Because, on many hands, one would raise spades. Indeed, say I held Jxx xx AQxx AQxx, I would bid 2S over 2D, since this hand, despite having more hcp, is less slam suitable.

I said ‘assume’, rather than ‘know’, because in most constructive bidding situations one has at some point to make assumptions in order to determine what to do next. Plus, here, opener, having assumed 1 or 2 spades, will also know that all is not yet lost should responder hold xxx.

Makes sense, thanks. We too might raise spades rather than diamonds with lesser hands, just a doubt about the use of 'assume'.

#19 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-February-26, 07:28

If North was dealer an uncontested auction would be no more difficult, but it's sobering to note the damage that EW can do by bidding hearts aggressively.
They even have a valid sacrifice in 7x if NS do reach slam all the same.

#20 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-26, 11:16

View Postmsjennifer, on 2020-February-26, 01:31, said:

Sir,having a glance at your bidding sequence is it not STRANGE that the spade suit was never ever mentioned ! And if the opening was 1C then how come the response was 1D ?All in all it appears to be a strange
system. Leaving it all alone I must admit that even playing a strong club system or a standard system we will never ever bid 7D as we just can not count to 13.One can never make if the spades break 4-0 as you have seen earlier.Although one can easily see that a safety play in spade suit will ensure 12 tricks in 6S how can one know the presence of a Jxx with N and the most important EIGHT of spades in S hand ?In a contract of 7D there is the possibility of a spade ruff on the opening lead itself.One easily sees the SJ in the diagram but not in real life bidding.!.All said we shall stop in 6S as its an IMP event and in 6NT when it is MP scoring.How one reaches these contracts and that too easily has been amply discussed by all others.I have to admit even any contract either 6S or 7D go down by replying that either opponent "may"hold QJ109 of spades or diamonds may break 5-0.But in a broad sense practically every pair may bid 6NT OR 6S as per their mood and methods.THANKS

Hehe, yeah, 1 is a Game-Forcing reply. I think the meanings of the bids are all highlighted on the post, and you can hover them to see their meanings. We play Canape in this sequence, so, South will introduce the shorter suit of a two-suited hand first. After my 3 raise, which is simultaneously a cue-bid showing the A or K of , possibly both, we've agreed a 4-4 or better fit, and we're no longer interested in finding a different fit, 4-4 fits are just simply better a significant majority of the time. We'd usually start cue-bidding, but this is a key-card auction from South's perspective.

As for the likelihood of these slams making, the odds are too good to pass up. Defenders make mistakes far too often, or the correct play is simply not the winning play. If one only played slam when it made 100% of the time, they'd be an incredibly mediocre bridge player. 5-0 diamond break, or a 4-0 spade break when the player with 4 spades is on lead are just incredibly unlikely occurrences. The player on lead also has to find a spade lead, in this case, in an auction where spades were never mentioned, and from a rather lackluster suit. Players will tend to make passive leads (usually correctly) against slams, and grands especially.

So, I'd say, if your small slam is about 60% to make, you should play it, and if your grand slam is about 75-80% to make, you should play it. Possibly more aggressively than that. Although at IMPs, it really just depends on the state of the match.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users