BBO Discussion Forums: Question after concession - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question after concession MPC or just UI?

#21 User is offline   jhenrikj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-18, 14:03

View Postbarmar, on 2020-February-18, 10:37, said:

I think it does.

No, 69B applies when you assent to an opponents claim or consession. In this case you want to cancel your own side's concession so then 71 applies.

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-February-18, 15:41

Seems to me proper procedure would have been for West to say "I object" and then immediately call the director. When the director arrives, West should say "my partner conceded, I objected" and let the director rule. I would rule the hand is not over, and West is on lead, and can lead whatever he likes.

Not sure a club lead is a logical alternative at this point. If it isn't, West can lead a heart. If it is…
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-19, 07:15

View Postjhenrikj, on 2020-February-18, 14:03, said:

No, 69B applies when you assent to an opponents claim or consession. In this case you want to cancel your own side's concession so then 71 applies.

So the score is corrected only "if a player has conceded a trick that could not be lost by any normal play of the remaining cards."
Thanks, makes sense.

#24 User is online   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-19, 11:07

View Postpran, on 2020-February-17, 16:28, said:

No claim or concession has occurred, play continues, the K is not a penalty card, but the knowledge that East has this card is UI to West.

Two questions must be considered by the Director:
1: Did West immediately object to the concession? (I tend to say "yes")
2: Is (for West) playing a Club a logical alternative to playing a heart? (I tend to say "yes")
so I would rule for the declarer.

An objection is declaratory. Is that what west did? No, west spoke an interrogatory seeking information. Thus, any objection made was not immediately.

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-19, 21:22

View PostVampyr, on 2020-February-18, 09:59, said:

That depends on whether the K is a penalty card.

East’s concession creates an illusion. West objected to it, albeit improperly. Thus there was no actual concession, so let us look at the problem as if there were no attempt at a concession.

Is West allowed to ask his partner about the presence of a card in partner’s hand because it is something like a 4-card ending? What if there were 5 cards left? 7? 9?

I would really like someone who says the defence get a heart now to answer the above.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-February-19, 21:43

View Postpran, on 2020-February-18, 02:45, said:

There is no bug in 68B2:

Law 49 said:
Except in the normal course of play or application of law (see for example Law 47E), when a defender’s card is in a position in which his partner could possibly see its face, or when a defender names a card as being in his hand, each such card becomes a penalty card (Law 50); but see Law 68 when a defender has made a statement concerning an uncompleted trick currently in progress, and see Law 68B2 when partner objects to a defender’s concession.

so the term "exposed" here includes "naming" a card.

No. Law 49 just tells us that both "exposed" cards and "named" cards are penalty cards. It does not say that "named" cards are "exposed" cards. 68B2 tells us that an exposed card after a concession is cancelled is not a penalty card. It does not say anything about named cards. It says: "cards exposed or revealed by a defender do not become penalty cards". It should say, "cards exposed or named by a defender do not become penalty cards". There is no need for both "exposed" and "revealed" but there is need for "named".

And I agree that there are so many anomalies in the Laws that one just has to rule using what one thinks they should say!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2020-February-19, 21:46

Naming a card reveals it.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-February-19, 21:50

View Postblackshoe, on 2020-February-19, 21:46, said:

Naming a card reveals it.

reveal v. To cause to be seen; show. This is the most frequent definition. How is that different in effect from "expose"?

And pran's argument was that "exposed" cards include "named" cards. More importantly, why include "named" cards in Law 49 but omit them from 62B? And why change "named" to "revealed" if the intention is that they mean the same thing?

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2020-February-20, 09:51

Well, I wasn't involved in the drafting of the laws, so I can't answer those questions. I think it's too fine a point anyway.
--------------------

#30 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-February-20, 09:55

View Postlamford, on 2020-February-19, 21:50, said:

reveal v. To cause to be seen; show. This is the most frequent definition. How is that different in effect from "expose"?

And pran's argument was that "exposed" cards include "named" cards. More importantly, why include "named" cards in Law 49 but omit them from 62B? And why change "named" to "revealed" if the intention is that they mean the same thing?

reveal verb [with object] make (previously unknown or secret information) known to others.
Brenda was forced to reveal Robbie's whereabouts.

Why different language? Because not that much attention was put into ensuring consistency across laws.

#31 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-February-21, 14:09

View Postbarmar, on 2020-February-20, 09:55, said:

reveal verb [with object] make (previously unknown or secret information) known to others.
Brenda was forced to reveal Robbie's whereabouts.

I agree it is a fine point. But the use of "reveal" about a card, I think, means show. If you name a card you reveal the possession of that card. But who knows what the WBFLC intended.

#32 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2020-February-21, 14:22

View Postlamford, on 2020-February-21, 14:09, said:

I agree it is a fine point. But the use of "reveal" about a card, I think, means show. If you name a card you reveal the possession of that card. But who knows what the WBFLC intended.

They obviously intend "getting premature information about a card" to be an irregularity which (on certain conditions) results in the card becoming a penalty card.

#33 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-February-23, 16:40

View Postlamford, on 2020-February-21, 14:09, said:

It says "exposed or revealed". The definition of "reveal" you chose is essentially the same as "expose", and I don't think they intended to be redundant like that.

They didn't say "named" because there may be other ways to reveal a card than exposing it or naming it.

#34 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-February-24, 11:28

View Postbarmar, on 2020-February-23, 16:40, said:

It says "exposed or revealed". The definition of "reveal" you chose is essentially the same as "expose", and I don't think they intended to be redundant like that.

They didn't say "named" because there may be other ways to reveal a card than exposing it or naming it.

Indeed. One can get a member of the audience to "reveal" a card instead of exposing it or naming it. There are inconsistencies and ambiguities in the Laws, but if there had been an intention that a card named after a claim was not always a MPC, it should certainly say so in Law 49, and it does give situations where it is not (Laws 47E and 68B2), the latter where a defender objects to a concession. It went out of its way to only "exempt" that and when a defender makes a statement about an uncompleted trick.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users