• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

missed slam (again)

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-February-15, 17:02

How do I judge to bid slam after partner cannot cue bid in diamonds? I was concerned that I could end up with more than one diamond loser if partner only held two small ones, assuming we have no trump losers. I didn't know she held Jxx which holds the suit to one loser on the layout, and the hearts lie very favourably.

If we were going to be in game we should have been in 3NT like three other pairs who also made 12 tricks. Two others found slam so we got a poor 19% for this.

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-15, 17:18

Surely 3 is game forcing and South can bid just 3 with an opening hand? This gets you a full round of cue-bidding, and South should be able to use RKCB.

But you're missing an ace and the queen of trump, so you should not be in slam. This slam is under 50% chance to make.

In a bad field, as South, I'd be tempted to sign off in 3N since that rates to score better than 4 no matter what partner has (though it might score worse than 6 depending on what partner has).

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-15, 17:21

You're resulting here, a slam requires hearts 3-2 onside with no diamond ruff, 3N may not be that good compared to 4 if the hearts or diamonds don't run (imagine you lose whichever of the club and diamond you lose first to E and a club whistles through, you may now only make 10 compared to 11 in hearts)

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-February-15, 17:35

4 is not a good bid. Uses up all sorts of bidding space which is the last thing you want to do sitting on two bullets
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-February-15, 17:42

View Postakwoo, on 2020-February-15, 17:18, said:

Surely 3 is game forcing and South can bid just 3 with an opening hand? This gets you a full round of cue-bidding, and South should be able to use RKCB.

But you're missing an ace and the queen of trump, so you should not be in slam. This slam is under 50% chance to make.

In a bad field, as South, I'd be tempted to sign off in 3N since that rates to score better than 4 no matter what partner has (though it might score worse than 6 depending on what partner has).

I was kind of hoping partner would bid 3, then I would bid 3 to show my 3 card support, which should then nail my hand down to partner.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users