• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All For Lack of Flannery

#1 User is offline   mythdoc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-12, 09:52

https://tinyurl.com/uyl3pzc

Honestly, what does it take for my GIB partner to allow ME to convince IT that I know 3NT is the correct contract, after it bids 2S?

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-February-12, 12:59

I am pretty sure that if you bid 5NT over 5, 6NT over 6, and then 7NT over 7 that GIB will realize that you are serious about playing in NT.

#3 User is offline   mythdoc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-12, 13:32

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sincerely, one of my biggest peeves, GIB's lack of appreciation of 3NT as almost a sacred stopping place and its lack of ability to defer to my wanting to set the contract there.

With regard to Flannery, it is an indispensable convention, when the hand occurs, and a weak 2D bid rarely does much practical good, IMHO

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-12, 13:50

View Postmythdoc, on 2020-February-12, 13:32, said:

With regard to Flannery, it is an indispensable convention, when the hand occurs

An overbid IMHO

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-12, 16:54

Funny, I would have agreed with that half of the statement and called the other half the overbid. Even if 2 natural doesn't impress anybody finding their fit, it still makes 3, game, or slam investigation harder than pass, and assists with the defence a little (depending on how aggressive you are with your openers, and how often the diamond lead might be actively bad).

I remember years ago Fred saying something like (teammates were playing Ultimate Club with funky, mid-range twos) "it was an amazing system played by amazing players, but whenever the opponents opened a weak 2 we knew we were in for some random result between +5 and -5, and there wasn't anything we could do about it." I can't imagine it being much better when it's only 2 openers by the opponents you have to roll a die for because teammates are passing.

Reading all the "Why does GIB" - who actually does do some thinking, and expects you to have what it says you have for your bidding, but still - stories proves to me that I never, ever, ever want to play pro - carrying partners who bid like GIB but don't think as well. I'm just not good enough. When I do play with GIB, I roll with the punches. Random pickup could be better, but could be so much worse.

Actually, I wonder how much "best hand" distorts the DD simulations GIB "thinks" with. I assume that the simulations aren't biased to "partner has best hand"...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users