BBO Discussion Forums: When weak twos are doubled - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When weak twos are doubled What methods are best?

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-February-21, 11:25

What are standard methods after a weak two is doubled? In particular, I have seen redouble used as "I have a suit of my own". For example, what is the difference between 2D-(X)-2NT-(P)-3D-(P)-3S and 2D-(X)-XX-(3C)-P-(P)-3S. My partner and I made a pig's ear of the auction in the London Superleague this week, and realised we had not really discussed methods here. All help appreciated!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-21, 12:55

I know that some people play McCabe Adjunct. I had agreed to play it once in a partnership. But, didn't use it much, I can't really speak to it's effectiveness. I don't presently play Weak Twos in my current partnership, so.... I don't really have any polished agreements I could personally provide.

https://www.advinbri...-in-bridge/155a

Basically, a new suit is a raise of partner's suit and lead directing.
2NT is either Ogust or Feature, depending on what you play. Conceivably, it could be used in other ways.
XX is to show a new suit.

Could you change the 2NT to be lebensohl as an escape to a new suit, and XX as values (possibly penalty of a new suit by opponents), where a new suit later would be stronger than a lebensohl sequence? Probably. Something like this should work out okay.

EDIT: Upon reflection though, this last suggestion might just require you to disclose too much information. Might be counter-productive to tell opponents, "Partner just bid 2NT, so you really should compete now". Might be better to have the XX have a bit more uncertainty around it's strength. Probably wins you some boards.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-21, 13:40

View PostKingCovert, on 2020-February-21, 12:55, said:

https://www.advinbri...-in-bridge/155a

Basically, a new suit is a raise of partner's suit and lead directing.
2NT is either Ogust or Feature, depending on what you play. Conceivably, it could be used in other ways.
XX is to show a new suit.

We do something like this, but I do hate losing the “baby psyche” of 2-(x)-2 agreed as natural. This may be quite effective in a weak or mixed field.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-24, 14:25

i use McCabe it allows for you to set up a defense, Possibly but not always!

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-25, 10:43

If playing the XX own suit + System On method then your first sequence is positive while the second one is merely competitive. As has already been pointed out, some play that the XX is not just a runout but also covers a natural, forcing change of suit, in which case somewhat more complicated rules need to be laid down.

In terms of options, the big one that noone has mentioned yet would be transfers. That gives you pretty much everything - (over 2) XX followed by pass is a weak takeout with hearts; XX followed by 3 is the McCabe raise suggesting a heart lead; and XX followed by something else is a natural, forcing 2 response. Similarly for a 2 response showing spades and 2 for clubs. If you speak with Frances, she has, I recall, an excellent and advanced transfer method over a Weak 2 that you could potentially use as a basis. I think something like this is probably optimal if you have time for it but it is arguably not really worth the effort other than for fairly serious partnerships.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users