• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UDCA carding Who uses it?

#21 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-10, 14:41

I have used them for 40 years with partners who like that approach.
Bridge World Standard uses them now.
Not much is written specifically about them but I do recommend the following book: Partnership Defense in Bridge by Kit Woolsey for its landmark approach to this part of the game. He notes on page 155-6 how it works especially that many times declarer cannot false card you.

A new approach I admire is Zia+Rosenberg who USE STANDARD carding at Trick 1, UDCA thereafter. Discards are always UD. Try them.
Nothing, of course, always works given that choices of cards is limited sometimes.

#22 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-February-10, 15:52

View Postbluenikki, on 2020-February-10, 08:07, said:

The point of reverse attitude/standard count: You hold . K932. Partner's opening lead is this suit, won by dummy's ace. You play the 2. Your next signal in this suit is supposed to be count. But you must not waste the 9! So udca forces you to falsecard.

But most UDCA players give current standard count (or original UDCA count, if you like) so the correct play will be the 3 on your second turn.

If you started with K93 and declarer leads the suit first, UDCA players do indeed play the 9 if they want to give count.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   mmerz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-February-10, 18:26

View PostDinarius, on 2020-February-09, 07:07, said:

One of my partners is trying to persuade me to switch to UDCA.

1. Who uses it?

As you have perhaps surmised, signalling choices are something of a religious topic. And for every positive in one direction, there's probably an equivalent offset in the other.

If you are an intermediate(*) player trying to become advanced(*), then one non-technical argument that I like for switching around is that it forces you to focus on your signals more. And one of the things that better players do is choose and read signals better.

So if you want to get better at signalling, then switching signalling methods every session will exercise your brain. It might also lead to some interesting and worthwhile post-mortem discussions, if you want more of those.

-- M "Why did you signal with the 8!? It was the only one I had!" M

(*) for some definition of intermediate and advanced. I think of an advanced player as one who routinely signals and can read them. Your standards/labels may differ, but you get my point.

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-11, 00:33

View Postmmerz, on 2020-February-10, 18:26, said:

So if you want to get better at signalling, then switching signalling methods every session will exercise your brain. It might also lead to some interesting and worthwhile post-mortem discussions, if you want more of those.

And possibly some adverse rulings, if you want more of those.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   ruleof15 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-February-11, 14:49

View PostDinarius, on 2020-February-09, 07:07, said:

One of my partners is trying to persuade me to switch to UDCA.

1. Who uses it?
2. If you don’t like, what do you prefer, and why?
3. Can someone point me to a good online UDCA primer? This is the only one I’ve found.

https://www.bridgebu...nt_attitude.php

Thanks.

D.

#26 User is offline   ruleof15 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-February-11, 14:56

I play Lavinthal Carding or known by it's other name "Suit Preference". I have modernized Lavinthal to make it more accurate. It is a very simple system. A high card is for the high suit, low card for the low suit and second low for continuation. This is when in a suit contract. At NT use dummy's long suit as the anchor suit and signal along. I have been playing this for 30 years. It is devastating.

#27 User is offline   rowdy 

• Pip

Posted 2020-February-11, 22:38

On opening lead in a suit contract, with a doubleton in an unbid suit, playing UDCA, do you lead the low card with XX, and the high card with, say JX?

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-February-11, 23:16

View Postrowdy, on 2020-February-11, 22:38, said:

On opening lead in a suit contract, with a doubleton in an unbid suit, playing UDCA, do you lead the low card with XX, and the high card with, say JX?

It’s really up to you. In some countries low from a doubleton is very popular. Where I live, not so much.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-February-18, 07:04

View PostDinarius, on 2020-February-10, 13:00, said:

Ok. So , those who play UDCA...

1. What do you signal in first discard in suit contracts?
2. What do you signal in first discard against NT?

UDCA does not change what you want to show at all, only what you show it with. So if you play Lavinthal/McKenny you will signal suit preference and if you play natural it will be attitude. Similarly for O/E, Dodds, etc. For what it is worth my preference is just to play natural (upside down) discards but my current partner likes Lavinthal against NT so we are using that. As someone already mentioned, adding Smith Echo probably has considerably more impact.

In the end the only real difference you have to make is in which card you signal with. There is a very small benefit to UDCA over Standard in that it has been shown that there is a slightly lower probability of being unable to signal correctly due to the signal card needing to be kept. But you do not have to change anything in your methods whatsoever when switching from Standard to UDCA. Just get used to which card is the right one so you can follow in tempo consistently.
(-: Zel :-)

#30 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-18, 07:48

View PostVampyr, on 2020-February-10, 03:39, said:

UDCA refers to following suit, primarily.

Not in my opinion or experience.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#31 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-February-18, 10:09

View Postgordontd, on 2020-February-18, 07:48, said:

Not in my opinion or experience.

Well, yes, discards too. I was a bit confused by the question, which as far as I could tell meant could you play UCDA when following suit but play Lavinthal discards, or SP discards later in the hand. I was trying, unsuccessfully, to say that your discard system and the way you follow suit do not have to match.

#32 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-March-01, 15:53

View PostVampyr, on 2020-February-09, 11:11, said:

Here in England many people play a perverted hybrid of reverse attitude but standard count... For some reason people like this system but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Upside-down attitude is better than standard for several reasons:
1) It's a card-saver. With standard, sometimes using those high spot cards to encourage can cost a trick
2) Less calculation. With standard, when you have say KT42, you have to do a calculation of whether you can afford to play the high card to encourage or whether ptr can read that 4 as high. Even if you get it right, it's a totally unnecessary thing with upside-down attitude (your lowest is your lowest)
3) It's more consistent, especially for beginners, with how we teach the rest of the carding. Regardless of signals, we teach novices: "lead low if you like it and high if you want a switch." That's a form of attitude leads, which is more consistent with upside-down signals. Low = like; High = don't like.

For count, it doesn't matter too much which you choose. But here, especially for novices and intermediates, with upside-down count, you're expected to switch to standard current count after the suit's been broken. This takes extra thinking for the context switching. It's unnecessary for standard count.

So, for the above reasons, my favorite is upside-down attitude, standard count. And no, it's not "perverted." And, no, it doesn't get signals mixed up for situation X or Y. If you and partner don't know which situation is count and which is attitude, that's a different problem! And it has nothing to do with which method you choose!

#33 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-01, 23:57

View Postruleof15, on 2020-February-11, 14:56, said:

I play Lavinthal Carding or known by it's other name "Suit Preference". I have modernized Lavinthal to make it more accurate. It is a very simple system. A high card is for the high suit, low card for the low suit and second low for continuation. This is when in a suit contract. At NT use dummy's long suit as the anchor suit and signal along. I have been playing this for 30 years. It is devastating.

It's also illegal in the ACBL. When following suit, the only allowable signals are standard or upside down.

On the first discard (and only the first discard - not the second and following), you are allowed Lavinthal or odd/even.

#34 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-March-02, 06:54

View Postperko90, on 2020-March-01, 15:53, said:

But here, especially for novices and intermediates, with upside-down count, you're expected to switch to standard current count after the suit's been broken. This takes extra thinking for the context switching. It's unnecessary for standard count.

Not entirely sure I understand what you mean. Say Partner leads the ace and follows with the king where we have 962, so we obviously discourage and show even remaining count. Playing Standard we would play 2-9. Playing udca it would be 9-2. Your method, and also your version of udca gives 9-6. Are you telling us that there is something wrong with the 9-2 approach that the rest of the world is missing? In any case, in this scenario it does not matter but if we instead held J92, udca gives us 9-2 (assuming we are discouraging the lead). Standard would start with the 2 but we either have to sacrifice the J or lie for the count. Similarly for your udasc but this time starting with the 9.

In fact, the analysis I have seen from people who have analysed all card combinations in great detail is that udca is forced to lie least of the 4 possible high-low attitude + count variations. The differences are not huge but for players that want to optimise absolutely, udca is probably the way to go. For most people though, just play what you are comfortable with. It is far more important to concentrate on the hand than be worrying about giving the right signal against your normal instincts.

#35 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-March-02, 08:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-March-02, 06:54, said:

For most people though, just play what you are comfortable with. It is far more important to concentrate on the hand than be worrying about giving the right signal against your normal instincts.

Quite. This is why, since one way is not more “natural” than another, it makes sense to teach beginners reverse signals.

#36 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-March-02, 10:01

View PostVampyr, on 2020-March-02, 08:15, said:

Quite. This is why, since one way is not more “natural” than another, it makes sense to teach beginners reverse signals.

That is probably true for beginners that are learning together as a pair. For beginners learning alone though, what matters most is that they are able to play with others in their area, so if everyone else plays standard signals it is going to be a lot easier for them to learn that as well. Essentially the same arguments apply to carding as to bidding systems. If you are a beginner without a partner and noone else at the local club understands the system you play, then your experience of the game is unlikely to be a positive one.

#37 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-02, 19:55

View PostVampyr, on 2020-March-02, 08:15, said:

The vast majority of beginners do not signal at all, and frankly they usually have enough trouble keeping track of the highest remaining card in each suit to worry about signaling or paying attention to partner's signals.

Let's say your partner signals correctly roughly half the time (with whatever system you've agreed) and the other half of the time automatically plays their lowest card in the suit when not playing an honor. I'm pretty sure you'd strongly prefer standard carding in this situation, and it's why standard carding is standard.

#38 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-02, 22:12

View Postakwoo, on 2020-March-02, 19:55, said:

Let's say your partner signals correctly roughly half the time (with whatever system you've agreed) and the other half of the time automatically plays their lowest card in the suit when not playing an honor. I'm pretty sure you'd strongly prefer standard carding in this situation, and it's why standard carding is standard.

But if you tell them that low is encouraging, it will get them to focus on every card they play and they'll start learning far quicker, rather than letting them slip into bad habits. Was definitely true for me.

#39 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-02, 22:16

View PostVampyr, on 2020-February-10, 03:37, said:

What are people being taught, strong jump over calls? Where do these lessons take place, in the 70s?

Ha-ha, North of England, but maybe that is the same thing :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#40 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-March-04, 05:49

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-March-02, 22:16, said:

Ha-ha, North of England, but maybe that is the same thing :)

Eh, watch it ah grew oop in Sheffield in '60's - used t play on road, eat pickle and like. Cold dark.....
Non legit hoc

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users