• You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

#441 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-21, 15:49

Cyberyeti, on 2020-April-21, 14:53, said:

I see Spain got 600K coronavirus testing kits from China an unlicensed Chinese company which was not on the list which the Chinese government recommended Spain to use, sent them back because they were crap, received the "improved" ones recently and have just sent them back because they're still terrible.

F.Y.P.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#442 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-21, 16:01

helene_t, on 2020-April-21, 15:49, said:

F.Y.P.

This is true, but Turkey have had similar issues, it appears there are some bad batches even from licensed suppliers.

#443 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-21, 16:35

FelicityR, on 2020-April-21, 08:36, said:

It's a great computer tool to predict rates of infection, however the only drawback is that you have to be reliant on people downloading the app and entering the data. I am sure there are people who cannot be bothered with doing this together with other people who do not have the wherewithal to do so, e.g. the elderly.

But given that half-a-million people have used the app - thank you - it's at least a promising indication of where we as a nation are heading, plus further confirming that the lockdown measures are at least working in the main.

It's 2.5 millions using it.
I am not sure how they arrive at their total estimate of the number of infected, i.e. how they account for the obvious self-selection problem. (You'll be more interested in downloading the app and reporting your symptoms when you have symptoms.) But the change of time is almost certainly meaningful. Well, there are still problems with people who start or stop using the app (people dropping out of studies is basically the main unsolvable methodological problem of medical research), but this won't explain a 70% decline.

In any case, anyone who downloads the app and uses it no matter whether they have symptoms or not helps them improve the quality of their data.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#444 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-April-22, 04:36

There's a strange irony that most western countries now rely on China, and other low-income Asian countries, to manufacture everything from corona testing kits to PPE and everything else in between. Yes, I do get it as it is all about profit margins and that's what big business is about. But when the items are not reliable, faulty or just rubbish - and don't worry I have bought British and European items that have been far from perfect - surely we should change suppliers?

I realise that this is not quite possible given the urgency of the coronavirus epidemic, but there are plenty of pharma/biotech companies in the EU and the USA that could provide low cost kits. However, they need approval from the FDA and EU bodies, which begs the question how did we all end up buying so many duff Chinese kits? And how have the genuine Chinese kits got approval so quickly, too?

I have a gut feeling there are a small amount of people making a killing and profiteering at others expense here. The scandal with the lack of PPE is bad enough. Now there are other shady dealers milking the urgency to supply corona testing kits in various forms. Next will be the vaccines.

We might berate individuals selling over-priced hand sanitiser on eBay, but what happens at a corporate and governmental level is 100x more obscene.

#445 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-April-22, 08:20

FelicityR, on 2020-April-22, 04:36, said:

There's a strange irony that most western countries now rely on China, and other low-income Asian countries, to manufacture everything from corona testing kits to PPE and everything else in between. Yes, I do get it as it is all about profit margins and that's what big business is about. But when the items are not reliable, faulty or just rubbish - and don't worry I have bought British and European items that have been far from perfect - surely we should change suppliers?

I realise that this is not quite possible given the urgency of the coronavirus epidemic, but there are plenty of pharma/biotech companies in the EU and the USA that could provide low cost kits. However, they need approval from the FDA and EU bodies, which begs the question how did we all end up buying so many duff Chinese kits? And how have the genuine Chinese kits got approval so quickly, too?

I have a gut feeling there are a small amount of people making a killing and profiteering at others expense here. The scandal with the lack of PPE is bad enough. Now there are other shady dealers milking the urgency to supply corona testing kits in various forms. Next will be the vaccines.

We might berate individuals selling over-priced hand sanitiser on eBay, but what happens at a corporate and governmental level is 100x more obscene.

Dear Felicity: Elections matter. Character of the elected matters.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#446 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-April-22, 15:05

The mayor of Las Vegas is nuts

https://www.cnn.com/...per-sot-vpx.cnn
Alderaan delenda est

#447 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 04:40

Steve Dickson, Federal Aviation Administrator said:

We are not a public health agency.

https://www.latimes....irplanes-flying

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#448 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2020-April-23, 06:08

hrothgar, on 2020-April-22, 15:05, said:

The mayor of Las Vegas is nuts

https://www.cnn.com/...per-sot-vpx.cnn

More importantly, the mayor of New York is nuts.
https://www.rollings...tements-978553/
https://www.theatlan...rk-city/609379/
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#449 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 07:47

cherdano, on 2020-April-23, 06:08, said:

More importantly, the mayor of New York is nuts.
https://www.rollings...tements-978553/
https://www.theatlan...rk-city/609379/

Thank you for sharing, cherdano.

I read both the articles; it made me feel de Blasio would make a great President!?! Maybe in 2024? :blink: :wacko: :rolleyes:

#450 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 07:58

cherdano, on 2020-April-21, 07:03, said:

If true, this is the best coronavirus news in the UK I have seen in a while: https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

(If you live in the UK, you can help them gather more data by downloading the app and spending 30 seconds (when feeling well) a day with it. It will especially important once restrictions are eased - they might be able to detect a spike of infections in your area much quicker than even widespread testing, and of course much quicker than hospitalization numbers. )

An article from the joinzoe website that may be useful reference for older people (link here)

We have looked at the symptoms experienced during proven COVID-19 infection by people who are over 85, report limiting health problems, or need help or physical aids. We found that this group of people testing positive for COVID-19 experienced more shortness of breath than other test-positive groups.

Interestingly, they also experienced more headache, confusion and diarrhoea than non-frail people. These symptoms are not normally considered typical of COVID-19.

#451 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-April-23, 08:27

Abnormal clotting in Covid-19

Doctors treating the sickest Covid-19 patients have zeroed in on a new phenomenon: Some people have developed widespread blood clots, their lungs peppered with tiny blockages that prevent oxygen from pumping into the bloodstream and body.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#452 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 15:44

Winstonm, on 2020-April-23, 08:27, said:

This isn't something really new, medics in Italy commented on it a month ago.
The massive inflammation caused by the virus impact lungs directly but also blood, abnormal pressure and clotting can complicate pneumonia and also cause death in other ways.

#453 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-April-23, 17:32

So, looks like Trump might have figured out a new / better way to treat COVID-19

I couldn't quite figure out what he was talking about, but I think that it involves drinking lots of bleach or maybe injecting bleach or perhaps nebulizing bleach
Alderaan delenda est

#454 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-23, 18:27

hrothgar, on 2020-April-23, 17:32, said:

So, looks like Trump might have figured out a new / better way to treat COVID-19

I couldn't quite figure out what he was talking about, but I think that it involves drinking lots of bleach or maybe injecting bleach or perhaps nebulizing bleach

Drinking bleach would probably solve the problem.
Ken

#455 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-April-23, 19:53

kenberg, on 2020-April-23, 18:27, said:

Drinking bleach would probably solve the problem.

How do you get Trump to drink it?

#456 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2020-April-24, 02:58

Hah, see! The libs are taking the bait! Again!! Brilliant!!!

#457 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-24, 05:49

shyams, on 2020-April-23, 07:58, said:

An article from the joinzoe website that may be useful reference for older people (link here)

Whilst covid-19 might be the cause of additional ailments for the over 85s, any serious infection for anyone in that age group causes problems generally. People in that age group have weakened immune systems, and poorer lung and bowel health. A bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) which is common amongst seniors causes delirium and confusion. That's why in later life it is so important to follow a good diet together with sensible vitamin and nutraceutical supplementation as the body is less able to repair itself on its own.

#458 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-24, 06:50

I saw a re-run of the daily briefing by Trump his team. The presentation by Bill Bryant (lasting approx. 6 minutes) was extremely interesting and I thought it provided useful indicators for actions the average corporation / person can take to reduce the risk of Covid transmission.

However, Trump's insane remarks immediately followed the presentation by Bryant thereby immediately relegating all useful information from the presentation to oblivion. Not one TV programme or News bulletin even mentioned the salient points from Bryant's presentation. Unfortunate!

#459 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-24, 07:37

shyams, on 2020-April-24, 06:50, said:

I saw a re-run of the daily briefing by Trump his team. The presentation by Bill Bryant (lasting approx. 6 minutes) was extremely interesting and I thought it provided useful indicators for actions the average corporation / person can take to reduce the risk of Covid transmission.

However, Trump's insane remarks immediately followed the presentation by Bryant thereby immediately relegating all useful information from the presentation to oblivion. Not one TV programme or News bulletin even mentioned the salient points from Bryant's presentation. Unfortunate!

Just to be completely clear: you just explained that the person holding the office of President of the United States of America is making insane remarks, and the unfortunate thing is that somebody else's comments about sunlight which were also pretty unimportant compared with the remarks of Birx/Fauci and Redfield about getting your 'flu shot didn't get enough airtime? Did I get that right or should I be watching Faux (makes you sic) news?
Non legit hoc

#460 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-24, 10:15

shyams, on 2020-April-24, 06:50, said:

Donald Trump has just no idea. Suggesting UV light and disinfect to kill the virus inside the body just shows us how ignorant and uninformed the man is. On a more positive note:

https://news.sky.com...sorder-11977789

Tracheostomy and ventilator intervention is commonplace in hospitals (especially in ICU units) but puts some patients at risk. Using a non-invasive CPAP machine for less severe corona cases could become the norm as time goes on.

• 86 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users