• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

#341 User is online   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Today, 03:31

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-April-08, 20:32, said:

Do I have to charge for English lessons now? At most 50 million, and at least 50 million, mean the same thing.

I would suggest you pay for English lessons if you believe that.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#342 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 03:50

Here is what wikipedia says:

The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million,

Seems a bit silly to debate a number that no one really knows. (And yeah I know that's a bit rich coming from me :) )
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#343 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted Today, 05:36

"...And if hydroxychloroquine is a risk factor, it may be only administered as a last chance medication when the patient is desperately ill, by which time it might be too late anyway."
Pilowsky says: Unfortunately your comment is incorrect. The problem is that Trump is recommending a drug that people can buy over the internet. You might be used to going to a Doctor and going through exhaustive screening and careful checks before you take any drug but in the real world in the middle of a pandemic that is not how it works.

I'll be honest. I was not fully aware just how over-bullish Donald Trump was about this drug, and, how readily available hydroxychloroquine was online. That really surprised, actually shocked, me. I suppose in this scenario, there are genuine online pharmacies who won't prescribe to a person with Long QT syndrome, but there are probably others that won't be so conscientious, and there are also all the fraudsters cashing in online, too, not forgetting the patients who will willing lie to get hold of this drug.

I was unaware that this drug was being touted as a prophylactic as opposed to an acute or critical care drug used by doctors in hospitals. That truly is a disaster waiting to happen, but guessing Donald Trump's way of thinking, a few 100 deaths here and there would be a price worth paying to keep, let's say, 10-20% less of the population having to use acute/critical medical services in hospitals. Hospital beds cost money, and ICU units are very expensive to run.

#344 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 06:10

Best article I've seen dissecting the British response:

https://www.reuters....yGZmwuwkdV5Wqc0

#345 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, learning about life and bridge from others, Poodles, helping Poodles write

Posted Today, 06:42

View Postcherdano, on 2020-April-09, 03:50, said:

Here is what wikipedia says:

Seems a bit silly to debate a number that no one really knows. (And yeah I know that's a bit rich coming from me :) )

I think my poodles want to have an intelligent conversation with you.
non est deus ex machina

#346 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted Today, 08:05

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-April-08, 20:32, said:

Do I have to charge for English lessons now? At most 50 million, and at least 50 million, mean the same thing. NOT more than 50 million. Are you two related?

Trump is (to use his own term) scum, and stupid to boot. But when you double down like this on a foolish statement of your own, it detracts from your criticism of Trump: the pot calling the kettle black.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists that is why they invented hell. Bertrand Russell

#347 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 09:36

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-April-09, 06:10, said:

Best article I've seen dissecting the British response:

https://www.reuters....yGZmwuwkdV5Wqc0

I agree. An excellent read and analysis.

This article makes painful reading. There are plenty of 'Brainless Brits' who will make this lockdown longer that it needs be. It's about time the Police issued serious fines and arrested people for this type of behaviour. Telling them to 'disband the party and don't let it happen again' isn't getting through to the morons who have no conscience.

https://www.bbc.co.u...hester-52221688

#348 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 11:41

Today's statistics in Italy: positive 96877 (+2%), dead 18279 (+4%), no longer infected 28470 (+8%). Intensive care 3605 (-5%). Fatality rate 15.9%.
Before anyone gets excited about the improvement, the fatality rate gives the lie to the under-reporting of positives and there are still disturbing inconsistencies in the data: for instance, the 3605 in intensive care is cited as being 88 less than yesterday, but yesterday it was 3792.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. pescetom