• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

#1261 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-April-18, 16:21

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-April-18, 15:17, said:

It isn't as blunt as you think. You may have been a Dean Lukin https://www.mensheal...t-of-a-lifetime when you were younger - but when he lost weight, his BMI returned to something sensible.

Possibly if I actually did anything in particular to build muscle, I didn't, that was my natural state. I played a fair amount of sport of many types, but never pushed weights, the only times I went to a gym was for aerobic type exercises.

My first publication used Bayes theorem. I learned it in High school then applied it a couple of years later.
I suspect it is only "obscure" to the people that write in the Guardian. On the other hand, most of my friends from High School became lawyers/politicians and probably never heard of it.
Just because you don't know something doesn't make it obscure; you just don't know it.
Embarrassingly, I think I got it wrong last year and was corrected (with varying levels of kindness) on this Forum.

I noticed that the Brits have something called SAGE (https://www.gov.uk/g...ergencies/about).

When I said elsewhere that 1/100 year events happen every year, SAGE was exactly the kind of body I fantasised would exist worldwide to help us keep safe.
The Americans seem to have this in a very fragmented way (e.g. NTSB) or the Pandemic Playbook - but it is not taken (as) seriously by the government.

Someone told me when I was a teenager that there are many things that can't be worked out from first principles; you just have to know them. Guessing doesn't work.

I did a statistics degree so studied Bayesian statistics, but I suspect most people haven't.

SAGE has taken a lot of abuse here because they screwed up in the early days of the pandemic in the eyes of many and didn't recommend a lockdown fast enough. There is another body called independent SAGE consisting of scientists who didn't get invited to the real one which has proposed more radical measures. I don't know which one is right.

Share this topic:

• 64 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users