BBO Discussion Forums: Features lost in new edition - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Features lost in new edition Full Disclosure CC, Categories of friends / people followed, Alerts

#1 User is offline   Uof FL Jen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-February-25, 17:41

The new model has been around for several months now, and there are a couple of MAJOR features that have disappeared.

1. Several of my friends and I play a very complex version of precision. We have put a lot of effort into creating full disclosure cc's, ones that work like the system provided fdcc's for 2/1 when playing with robots. This saves us a lot of typing that slows down the game. Not only is there no provision for uploading new and revised FDCCs, but with the new non-Flash version, they cannot even be used.

Add to that, my partner is French Canadian. She has a translator that is capable of pasting alerts into the OLD system alert box, but is absolutely does NOT work in the new version.

2. I know many people who have created categories to label other members. Mine are players who play our complicated system, others who are my favorites to partner with, others who I like to partner with, others who are a 5 star match, others who are favorite opponents, others who I do not like, either as a partner or as an opponent, and finally, others that I will not even be at the same table with. Seeing those color labels at a table, or in a table list, makes life a LOT easier.
__________________________________________________________________________________

In addition, there are other significant long term issues that remain unaddressed...

a) People who leave in the middle of a hand. It should be fairly simple to disable someone's ability to leave a hand after bidding has begun! If the only way that someone could leave a table after bidding begins, unless they are dummy, would be to LOGOUT it would make a huge difference in the number of people who routinely abandon tables. Having to log back in would slow down that crap.

b) Way too many people "stand up" and walk away from their computer or change to another app on their phone without leaving the table. This frequently results in the table having a "host" who is MIA. If a player needs to be removed (non-responsive, abusive, etc.) no one actually at the table can resolve the issue. BBO "hosts" are frequently slow to respond, and most members don't know that the BBO hosts can be asked to help. There needs to be a CLEAR, succinct, understandable "BBO for Dummies" button for leaving the game and going about what else you need to do in life.

c) BBO has made big strives forward to not allow people to post certain "bad words" However, there are other words that need to be added. "idiot" and "stupid" are a couple of obvious ones that need to be added.

d) The alert button... There are people who click bids (alerted or not) over and over and over. My partner and I have both experienced opps clicking one bid as many as TWELVE TIMES!!! A single player should be able to click ONE bid at most three times, preferably twice. After that, if they still have a problem with the description provided, either ask the opponent via private chat for more info being specific as to what their question is, or ask the bidder's partner for the meaning.

e) Regarding alerts, it would seem to me that it should be easy in this day and age to make it the responsibility of bidder's partner to alert their partner's bids and also be the person who is automatically questioned as to the agreement as to the meaning of the bid! This isn't rocket science!!!

#2 User is offline   Uof FL Jen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-February-26, 15:44

View PostUof FL Jen, on 2020-February-25, 17:41, said:

The new model has been around for several months now, and there are a couple of MAJOR features that have disappeared.

1. Several of my friends and I play a very complex version of precision. We have put a lot of effort into creating full disclosure cc's, ones that work like the system provided fdcc's for 2/1 when playing with robots. This saves us a lot of typing that slows down the game. Not only is there no provision for uploading new and revised FDCCs, but with the new non-Flash version, they cannot even be used.

Add to that, my partner is French Canadian. She has a translator that is capable of pasting alerts into the OLD system alert box, but is absolutely does NOT work in the new version.

2. I know many people who have created categories to label other members. Mine are players who play our complicated system, others who are my favorites to partner with, others who I like to partner with, others who are a 5 star match, others who are favorite opponents, others who I do not like, either as a partner or as an opponent, and finally, others that I will not even be at the same table with. Seeing those color labels at a table, or in a table list, makes life a LOT easier.
__________________________________________________________________________________

In addition, there are other significant long term issues that remain unaddressed...

a) People who leave in the middle of a hand. It should be fairly simple to disable someone's ability to leave a hand after bidding has begun! If the only way that someone could leave a table after bidding begins, unless they are dummy, would be to LOGOUT it would make a huge difference in the number of people who routinely abandon tables. Having to log back in would slow down that crap.

b) Way too many people "stand up" and walk away from their computer or change to another app on their phone without leaving the table. This frequently results in the table having a "host" who is MIA. If a player needs to be removed (non-responsive, abusive, etc.) no one actually at the table can resolve the issue. BBO "hosts" are frequently slow to respond, and most members don't know that the BBO hosts can be asked to help. There needs to be a CLEAR, succinct, understandable "BBO for Dummies" button for leaving the game and going about what else you need to do in life.

c) BBO has made big strives forward to not allow people to post certain "bad words" However, there are other words that need to be added. "idiot" and "stupid" are a couple of obvious ones that need to be added.

d) The alert button... There are people who click bids (alerted or not) over and over and over. My partner and I have both experienced opps clicking one bid as many as TWELVE TIMES!!! A single player should be able to click ONE bid at most three times, preferably twice. After that, if they still have a problem with the description provided, either ask the opponent via private chat for more info being specific as to what their question is, or ask the bidder's partner for the meaning.

e) Regarding alerts, it would seem to me that it should be easy in this day and age to make it the responsibility of bidder's partner to alert their partner's bids and also be the person who is automatically questioned as to the agreement as to the meaning of the bid! This isn't rocket science!!!

We are losing a lot of members, and I feel that these above reasons have a lot to do with it. There are too many people here who are not serious players. They pop in and out of hands at will. Make bad bids, and then as declarer leave the table instead of playing it. I cannot tell you how many times we've had one opp or another change 8+ times after the bidding starts. Plus people berating us for choosing to play a complicated system. Clean up things like this, and I'd gladly pay a fee. It takes time and dedicated people to make this site run well. I love BBO and would hate to see it disappear, like so many others have. You are the best I've ever used, and I've used a few, however, that doesn't mean that there isn't significant room for improvement.

#3 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2020-February-26, 16:54

View PostUof FL Jen, on 2020-February-26, 15:44, said:

We are losing a lot of members, and I feel that these above reasons have a lot to do with it. There are too many people here who are not serious players. They pop in and out of hands at will. Make bad bids, and then as declarer leave the table instead of playing it. I cannot tell you how many times we've had one opp or another change 8+ times after the bidding starts. Plus people berating us for choosing to play a complicated system. Clean up things like this, and I'd gladly pay a fee. It takes time and dedicated people to make this site run well. I love BBO and would hate to see it disappear, like so many others have. You are the best I've ever used, and I've used a few, however, that doesn't mean that there isn't significant room for improvement.

There is a new area of the site for a monthly fee, BBO Prime, that might work
https://www.bridgeba...b=web&v3v=5.1.9

#4 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-February-27, 00:05

BBOalert browser add-on is the solution for automated alerting while playing against human opponents : See my post

BBOalert Version 2.1 can read Full Disclosure BSS files.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-February-27, 10:14

What about "dummy"? :)

Self-alerting is deliberate, it's considered a feature. It's not done in F2F bridge (except when screens are in use) because of UI issues, but that's not a problem in online bridge because partner doesn't see the alert and explanation.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users