Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem we gave our opps

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-31, 18:28

the 2 bid is a weak 2, 0-9 points 4+ spades, if we have 2 or 3 4 card suits other than clubs, we open the top one if lower range, the bottom one if upper)

I'm getting really unsure about what you should overcall weak 2s with at the 3 level, and this was another big swing hanging on the decision

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-31, 20:05

I would. It's a bit close may, but not that close IMHO. Of course I would go for 1400. Stuff happens.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-January-31, 20:30

CyberYeti "the 2 bid is a weak 2, 0-9 points 4+ spades, if we have 2 or 3 4 card suits other than clubs, we open the top one if lower range, the bottom one if upper). I'm getting really unsure about what you should overcall weak 2s with at the 3 level, and this was another big swing hanging on the decision.
+++++++++++++++++

CyberYeti's 2 might be a 0 HCP and a 4-card suit!
But I would risk 3 too.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-31, 22:08

Given the structure of the weak two, and our own hand with 3s, I'm inclined to pass for two reasons:-

1.) There is very little likelihood that the opponents can raise s to make life more difficult for us.
2.) If partner (East) who probably has less s than West can't balance then it's unlikely we have anything on.

No doubt having a 2 opening bid with such a loose structure is both an asset and a liability Given that there's over half the pack unaccounted for, personally I even don't think it is wise bidding 3 here even over a conventional weak two, let alone Cyberyeti's version.

We don't want to miss a vulnerable game, but that raggedy six card suit together with the likelihood that the K and KJ are probably liabilities says to me 'no'.

But I also agree with the other commentators so far it is a close decision as not bidding has it's downsides too, but I am sure that the opponents also run into difficulties with their 'unconventional' weak two, too. I'd rather let them guess, than wade in with 3 because you feel obliged to. Give me Kxx KQxxxx KJx x and then I think you have to then bid 3.

I rarely use the Kaplan and Rubens evaluator but the hand is worth just 12.75 as it stands, and Kxx KQxxxx KJx x is only 13.35 but the extra honour (Q) in the long suit gives us a modicum of protection against competing here.

But it's close...

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-February-01, 03:58

The other vaguely similar hand I held over a 5+ card first seat weak 2 (opps vul this time) was:

Do you overcall on this one ?

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-01, 05:03

The 1st one is kinda easier. You’re less likely to be Xed by LHO if RHO can be broke. Partner might push you to 4, though. And your K will need support from p. Even KQx S might not be well positioned. That is the price to pay when you are forced to guess high.

The 2nd is a little more dangerous. We have to hope p has shorter S and/or some D goodies. But I would do it as well too😅

#7 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2020-February-01, 09:33

I would definitely pass the first one and don't consider it close. the second one a lot closer, and I could go either way with that.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-February-01, 10:18

Maybe closer, but I have too many spades and too defensive a hand. For me, no to both. If partner passes 2 I'm happy; and equally happy if he doesn't.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-February-01, 12:08

I'll give a clue on the first one, the south hand is:

the N and E hands are either:

or

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users