BBO Discussion Forums: impossible to play with a not so bad internet connexion... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

impossible to play with a not so bad internet connexion...

#1 User is offline   pcouderc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-January-28, 10:15

I have some network problem (about 3% ping failures) : ping works but every 3 or 10 minutes loses a few packets.

As soon as 1 packet is lost, the bbo connexion is closed and does not restore, resulting quitting the table.
But my internet connexion restores a few second later... Why do I not come back to my old table...? or how to come back... ?

Thnks
Pierre Couderc
bbo V3

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-28, 19:58

There is something pretty seriously wrong with your network. Packet loss is something that should not happen, ever. Much less every few minutes. Troubleshoot with your ISP.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-28, 21:01

Yes, BBO does not tolerate connection loses. I have the same problem when I am traveling and sometimes have to switch between the router in two different trains even if it is the same network.

It might work through a VPN. But as Tyler says, you should get your connection fixed.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   pcouderc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-January-30, 01:59

I agree that my packet loss rate is too much high, and there is something wrong in my network.
But I do not agree that packet loss should not occur. In France, there may be birds, there may be storms, there may be micro power off...
Sometimes packets may be loss. TCP-IP is not error prone of packet loss, so a higher level protocol should be used to protect from (rare) packet loss...

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-January-30, 09:41

Packet loss can of course occur, and network protocols are designed to work around them, but they should be very infrequent unless there's an actual problem with the line. Multiple lost packets in short time periods will not be handled well by any application that's time-sensitive.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users