• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tried a gamble, didn't work

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-January-25, 15:45

This was the last hand of the evening. I thought we had been duffed up enough to put a real downer on our score, so after picking up this freak, took a big flyer for a top, which didn't work out.

5 card majors, weak NT, 1 could be short.

Things started off well when South led their singleton diamond, and partner cashed two clubs throwing the singleton spade. Things deteriorated when she then ran the J round to the queen, then on the diamond return, discarded allowing South to ruff low, then North got a club ruff when she ruffed low. Three off for not a good score (although not a bottom, a couple bid the slam going off).

It turned out our final score wasn't as bad as I expected, so I should have just settled for 4 which should make, and would have been a good score anyway.

The top score went to those pairs which found 3NT, which were the two only plus scores for EW.

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-25, 16:12

4NT is an overbid of truly titanic proportions.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-25, 17:13

View PostAL78, on 2020-January-25, 15:45, said:

The top score went to those pairs which found 3NT, which were the two only plus scores for EW.

Had West bid a 3S splinter rather than 4NT from Mars, then 3NT might suddenly have looked attractive.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-January-25, 18:25

AL78 2This was the last hand of the evening. I thought we had been duffed up enough to put a real downer on our score, so after picking up this freak, took a big flyer for a top, which didn't work out. 5 card majors, weak NT, 1 could be short. Things started off well when South led their singleton diamond, and partner cashed two clubs throwing the singleton spade. Things deteriorated when she then ran the J round to the queen, then on the diamond return, discarded allowing South to ruff low, then North got a club ruff when she ruffed low. Three off for not a good score (although not a bottom, a couple bid the slam going off). It turned out our final score wasn't as bad as I expected, so I should have just settled for 4 which should make, and would have been a good score anyway. The top score went to those pairs which found 3NT, which were the two only plus scores for EW."
+++++++++++++++++++++++
AL78's Partner might justify AL78's optimism by ruffing North's return :) and then South's return :)

#5 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-25, 18:27

Assume you're in a partnership where, after 1-1-1, all your spade bids are natural. In other words, you're not playing any form of 4th suit forcing nor any splinters. (Presumably, this is because partner is a (life) novice who hasn't learned or can't remember these conventions.)

Then you're choosing between 4 and 4N, and I think 4N is a worthwhile gamble.

#6 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-26, 00:51

View Postakwoo, on 2020-January-25, 18:27, said:

Assume you're in a partnership where, after 1-1-1, all your spade bids are natural. In other words, you're not playing any form of 4th suit forcing nor any splinters. (Presumably, this is because partner is a (life) novice who hasn't learned or can't remember these conventions.)

Then you're choosing between 4 and 4N, and I think 4N is a worthwhile gamble.

Yes, I agree. Given that less-experienced players jump to 4NT far too often, it's not as bad as first seems especially if you are using RKCB Blackwood where you can establish if partner has two aces and the queen of trumps, or three aces, in one bid.

However, it's a mighty ask to be able to control the hand with the (potential) lack of entries after drawing trumps, even taking account of a favourable 3-2 trump split. So bidding 4 is as good as it gets in the absence of any gadgets or conventions.

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-26, 08:44

View PostFelicityR, on 2020-January-26, 00:51, said:

So bidding 4 is as good as it gets in the absence of any gadgets or conventions.

I can understand being without splinters or an artificial 4SF. But some form of checkback should be part of the toolkit of any intermediate player IMO, natural bidding has just too many limits in these situations as this example reminds us.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-26, 09:38

What do you think 4 would mean over 1 ? I think there's a good case for it being this sort of thing.

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-26, 09:50

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-January-26, 09:38, said:

What do you think 4 would mean over 1 ? I think there's a good case for it being this sort of thing.

Yeah, same pattern but a bit weaker as 1D-1H-4D as opener. I’d almost try it undiscussed (what else can it be...).

#10 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-January-26, 15:56

I did consider a 3 splinter, but didn't think partner's possible responses would tell me much, and I decided to go with RCKB since with two key cards and the Q, slam should be decent, and with two key cards and no Q, it will likely be around 50% in which case do I feel lucky. I was disappointed that partner only had one key card. Someone has pointed out that partner could respond 3NT to a spade splinter, which I hadn't thought of at the time, and which would alert me to huge wastage opposite, which would temper my (over) enthusiasm. The lack of a spade overcall by the opposition should have alerted me to the possibility of spade wastage opposite. So yes, a poor show by me.

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-January-26, 22:22

Sir.ithe 4NT bid is ,in my personal opinion, an over exhuberant bid. If the partnership is playing a 3H bid as GF then I would bid that.A 3S bid solves the problem to some extent. We would require two honors support for a secondary suit in order to bid 3S when playing Precision.Bidding 4H means taking the reins in ones hand since opener will never know our singleton spade wherein we can make 6 hearts even with an appropriate minimum opener.Playing a Standard system I certainly would have preferred to bid 3S.

#12 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-26, 22:29

East would bid the same way with four clubs headed by the K-Q-J, so 4NT looks like an overbid.

#13 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 16:50

View Postpescetom, on 2020-January-25, 17:13, said:

Had West bid a 3S splinter rather than 4NT from Mars, then 3NT might suddenly have looked attractive.

I agree 3

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 18:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-January-26, 09:38, said:

Maybe. If you play strong jump shifts (or some system in which 3 at your second turn would be forcing), then certainly yes.

OTOH, if your only way to force with diamonds goes through FSF, especially if FSF is 2 now, then I think it's reasonable to play 4 as natural.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-28, 10:15

View PostAL78, on 2020-January-25, 15:45, said:

Things started off well when South led their singleton diamond, and partner cashed two clubs throwing the singleton spade. Things deteriorated when she then ran the J round to the queen, then on the diamond return, discarded allowing South to ruff low, then North got a club ruff when she ruffed low. Three off for not a good score (although not a bottom, a couple bid the slam going off).

It turned out our final score wasn't as bad as I expected, so I should have just settled for 4 which should make, and would have been a good score anyway.

Why would 4 have made? Not ruffing in on the return is an inexplicable error that had nothing to do with your bidding.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users