Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

double by strong NT

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-27, 00:25

At what point does it make sense to switch from takeout to penalty after opening a strong NT?

Say it goes 1N (2H) P P ? Should double be takeout here? At some point it needs to be penalty. 1N (4S) P P dbl would certainly be penalty.

How about 1N P P 2C ? I think everyone would play double there as takeout (2C here is natural). What about 1N P P 2S ? 3D?

Thinking that the "switch" is at a different spot between balancing and direct doubles because balancing lies under the bidder and the direct lies over the bidder. I just haven't seen many recommendations on where those points should be.

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 03:28

View Poststraube, on 2020-January-27, 00:25, said:

At what point does it make sense to switch from takeout to penalty after opening a strong NT?

Say it goes 1N (2H) P P ? Should double be takeout here? At some point it needs to be penalty. 1N (4S) P P dbl would certainly be penalty.

How about 1N P P 2C ? I think everyone would play double there as takeout (2C here is natural). What about 1N P P 2S ? 3D?

Thinking that the "switch" is at a different spot between balancing and direct doubles because balancing lies under the bidder and the direct lies over the bidder. I just haven't seen many recommendations on where those points should be.

If they bid game, you hit it … Penalty, if the double makes it a game contract T/O.
Obviously I am not keen on Fighting for a partial, if they already entered the 3 Level,
but if they entered the 3 Level on their own, do I really believe, I am getting rich?
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 04:23

Double of two-level interference = take-out.
Double of three-level interference = doesn't exist opposite a passed hand (if it did exist it would be take-out, but it doesn't).
Double of four-level interference = doesn't normally exist opposite a passed hand against sane opponents. But partner's double would be penalties.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 04:45

View PostTramticket, on 2020-January-27, 04:23, said:

Double of two-level interference = take-out.
Double of three-level interference = doesn't exist opposite a passed hand (if it did exist it would be take-out, but it doesn't).
Double of four-level interference = doesn't normally exist opposite a passed hand against sane opponents. But partner's double would be penalties.

Agree more or less. Partner's double of 4H has tolerance for takeout to 4S though.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-January-27, 06:31

Agree with PescaTom, After we've opened 1N, we play that the 1st double by either hand is T/O at the 2-level ,,, shading to Action ,,, and Cards at higher levels.
... Hesitations ... and sighs :( can clarify difficult decisions :)

#6 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-27, 08:24

I would have guessed 2H is the last takeout double because it allows for at least one contract at the 2-level. Or maybe 3C because it doesn't require partner to choose a suit at the 4-level.

Penalty doubles by one hand are very rare at low levels but I can construct hands whereas it's hard for me to construct a hand with NT strength but balanced and able to support a contract at the 4-level. Partner has less than GF values.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users