BBO Discussion Forums: Tough to bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough to bid

Poll: Tough to bid (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call as West:

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Double (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. 2S (28 votes [75.68%])

Percentage of vote: 75.68%

4. 3H (2 votes [5.41%])

5. 3S (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

6. 4S (2 votes [5.41%])

7. Other (please explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-January-17, 01:08

View PostKingCovert, on 2020-January-16, 19:55, said:

I guess, I'm just wondering if the long club support, hands are eliminated. Perhaps pass by Opener and double by Responder shows a hand sort of like this, maybe not void in hearts though. But, surely, it doesn't suggest Opener should ever correct to diamonds.... so.... Not much else to choose from.

In the extremely unlikely event that east is interested in diamonds, say x x AJxxx AQxxxx ( I know, he can’t have that on the actual problem), he bids 4N over the double, if he chooses to pull it.

It can’t be to play, since he’d have doubled 4H or passed the double, and it certainly can’t be keycard, so diamonds with longer clubs is all that’s left.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-17, 01:24

View Postmikeh, on 2020-January-17, 01:08, said:

In the extremely unlikely event that east is interested in diamonds, say x x AJxxx AQxxxx ( I know, he can’t have that on the actual problem), he bids 4N over the double, if he chooses to pull it.

It can’t be to play, since he’d have doubled 4H or passed the double, and it certainly can’t be keycard, so diamonds with longer clubs is all that’s left.

So, is 2 followed by a double of 4 a reasonable plan for Responder on this hand? Or, rather, better than 5?

I'd like to think so.... But, I'm sure I've overlooked something.

#23 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-January-17, 02:08

View PostKingCovert, on 2020-January-17, 01:24, said:

So, is 2 followed by a double of 4 a reasonable plan for Responder on this hand? Or, rather, better than 5?

I'd like to think so.... But, I'm sure I've overlooked something.

Not for me. If east passed 4H, this is a 4S bid for me. Partner is unlikely to be void in spades and I’m not doubling with no red suit winners and a trump void
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-17, 06:41

View Postmikeh, on 2020-January-16, 09:23, said:

2S is clear.

Over 4H, I think east has a 4S call. His xxx in hearts is actually a great holding if North bids 4H, since it marks partnervwith at most one heart loser, and all of our cards are working. While east has not a lot of hcp, he has 5 controls.

Over 4S, west has, I think, a5C try, and now slam will be reached on momentum.

Were east to chicken out and pass 4H, west should bid 4S, not 5C, and now east will be regretting his pass but be unable to bid again. West would bid 4S with a wide variety of hands and expresses no slam interest in doing so.

I agree totally, nevertheless I would be quite happy if we would bid a slam like this.
Maarten Baltussen

#25 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-17, 08:27

Start with a dbl (negative) followed by a bid in showing a GF hand with a 5+ card and if bid with a jump it shows a 6+ card.

#26 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-17, 09:14

View Postaawk, on 2020-January-17, 08:27, said:

Start with a dbl (negative) followed by a bid in showing a GF hand with a 5+ card and if bid with a jump it shows a 6+ card.

Is it common to play this as GF? The school here is that it is technically NF, although of course difficult to pass.

#27 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-17, 09:37

Thanks to those who replied so far. Here is the full layout.

At our table it went 2 (3) 3 (4) 4 (p) p (p).

At national level, out of 506 results, only 34 managed to bid and make 6.

More surpisingly, out of 338 others that were in 4 (or maybe 5), only 95 made 12 tricks.
Presumably the majority failed to pick up Q in North, which seems odd if South had interfered in hearts.

#28 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2020-January-17, 09:55

View Postapollo1201, on 2020-January-16, 16:09, said:

Aren’t fit jumps supposed to be NF? Then it is insufficient as partner could leave me there.

No, not really. Mostly fit jumps are played as forcing to the next level of our fit. There is some value in playing them non-forcing in some cases. For example, I have played

1-x-2M

as 5M, 3, ~7-9, NF. But I think generally they'd be played as F.

(this is not to say that I agree with anything Cyberyeti posted in this thread. I do not).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#29 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-17, 12:15

View Postpescetom, on 2020-January-17, 09:14, said:

Is it common to play this as GF? The school here is that it is technically NF, although of course difficult to pass.

maybe I can explain it better :

A negative double shows 8+ HCP and the other or both majors.

If you give a negative double and then introduce a new major you show a GF hand with a 5+ card major (11+ HCP).

If you give a negative double and then introduce a new minor you show a 6+ card minor beside the 4 card major with a minimum (8-9 HCP).

If you want to play it this way it must be in agreement with your partner.

#30 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2020-January-17, 13:40

View Postaawk, on 2020-January-17, 12:15, said:

maybe I can explain it better :

If you give a negative double and then introduce a new major you show a GF hand with a 5+ card major (11+ HCP).

Not the way I have e3ver played it and I don't understand why anyone would play this, unless playing NFB. If you have a gf hand and a 5 card major, bridge is very simple: bid the major. Not only is this simple and sensible but it minimizes the problems that flow from first making a negative double: what if 4th seat preempts? Now, you may have to guess whether it is safe to bid the major, when partner will/should expect that such shows a moderate hand at best, and a long suit unwilling to sell out.

#31 User is offline   nudnikbp 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-18, 09:45

2S for now. No good reason to bid anything else.
Playing standard bidding with five card majors, doesn't 1C show 3+ clubs? But that's a side issue.

#32 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-January-18, 10:48

Sirs, the way we play it is to bid 3H just now showing a spade 5+suit and club 2 honors to 4 support,(since 1C may be even xx in clubs).Our next bid , if available is 4H showing a spade suit capable of winning 10 tricks on its own and a heart void.Without the void in heart we just bid 4S on the next turn.Hence my bid just now is 3H.We have an entirely different development procedure after a bid of 2S just now.If LHO bids 4H then we do have a support double and other bids available to opener as per his hand strength and distribution pattern.

#33 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-21, 10:14

Nobody seems to have mentioned double as a transfer, which is my call. Show the spades and assuming opener completes, raise to game.
Opener, having a perfectly ordinary 1 open, on a different hand may not complete the transfer but rebid a 6 card club suit, and that too I would raise to game.

The OP asks for developments after 3 from 4th seat, and opener with 3 spades will bid 3. Over 4 I am happy to bid 4. I see no reason to go higher.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users