• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Heavy 54 minors facing strong NT

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-11, 03:15

This time a nice IMP pick-up from our Thursday victory

How do you bid unopposed...it would be an advocate for 3M as (31)(54) but we don't play that :ph34r:

Things turned out a bit differently however, when E bid 2, majors, and then Xed the 3 from partner (I had imagined a 2NT transfer followed by 3 next would start doing the job, fearing an intellectual bid of 3 would be confusing). Was it a good plan, are there good agreements on this overcall?

The rest of our auction went XX (at least she'll know I have points), 3from W, partner silent on that then 4 me, 5 her. Having bid and made 3 slams in a row just before that deal, with a partner visibly not overenthusiastic so far on how the bidding evolved, and with E making so much noise with what looks like a 10 HCP at max hand, I feared bad breaks and passed.

W led his singleton H and had T9xxx and JTxx. I made 3 top trumps, a and a ruff on which W had to follow, 4 and 2 major Aces. The other room got lost in the bidding and played in a partial.

#2 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-11, 04:24

I reckon I might have bid the same as you, and it worked out well. Unopposed you may well have been in the slam.

To answer your question :
1NT - 2(minor suit stayman asking for a 4 card minor)
3 - 4(4m+1 asking for keycards, basically)
5(3 steps = 3) - 5(denies K)
This is how it would go with us, with S checking kings as the perfect maximum can make grand.
(Minor suit stayman does not preclude checking for slam in clubs on 3 card fit if opener denies a 4 card minor.)

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-11, 08:27

We do bid 3M as (1=3)(5-4) and with this slammish hand 3 would be automatic if East kept quiet.
At IMPs opener would rebid 4 forcing after which we end up in 5 if responder control-bids or in 6 if he asks keycards.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-January-11, 16:43

[
Apollo120 'This time a nice IMP pick-up from our Thursday victory,
How do you bid unopposed...
it would be an advocate for 3M as (31)(54) but we don't play that :ph34r:. Things turned out a bit differently however, when E bid 2, majors, and then Xed the 3 from partner (I had imagined a 2NT transfer followed by 3 next would start doing the job, fearing an intellectual bid of 3 would be confusing). Was it a good plan, are there good agreements on this overcall? The rest of our auction went XX (at least she'll know I have points), 3from W, partner silent on that then 4 me, 5 her. Having bid and made 3 slams in a row just before that deal, with a partner visibly not overenthusiastic so far on how the bidding evolved, and with E making so much noise with what looks like a 10 HCP at max hand, I feared bad breaks and passed. W led his singleton H and had T9xxx and JTxx. I made 3 top trumps, a and a ruff on which W had to follow, 4 and 2 major Aces. The other room got lost in the bidding and played in a partial.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Depends on methods. Many seem to have been seduced by Muppet Stayman and that should be able to handle this problem. For amusement, there is a simple, logical, and consistent convention, that I used to play which coped well with such hands: 3 Extended Stayman (See auction on left)

After 1N - 2 - 2 - 3, opener rebids
  • 3 = 4s or 4s Then 3 = Which?.
  • 3 = 5 s.
  • 3 = 5 s.
  • 3N = 4s and 4s.

After 1N - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 3 opener rebids
  • 3 = 3334.
  • 3N = 3343.

After 1N - 2 - 2 - 3, opener rebids
  • 3 = 4 s or 4s. Then 3 = Which?
  • 3 = 5 s.
  • 3 = 4 s.
  • 3N = 3433.

After 1N - 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 3, opener rebids
  • 3 = 4 s.
  • 3N = 4 s

Similarly aftter 1N - 2 - 2 - 3
After any of theses sequences, 4m is Key-card.

#5 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-12, 05:54

Assuming that leb is available you can make use of the majors using 2!H as competitive both minors and 2!S as game force both minors. 6!D is not the worlds worst spot and regardless of the outcome its where you want to play. It seems to be cold even on !H lead, win A play A!S ruff, cash KQ!D getting the news. !C to Q and ruff S. If W over ruffs so what, it looks like 12 tricks to me.

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-January-12, 08:53

Sir,thanks for posting a really intriguing hand.i honestly have to admit that we would play this one in 3NT. Lebensohl does not work here.I worked and thought of a solution.Since EAST has bid a Landy 2C for majors a double may be considered as a MINOR SUIT Stayman and forcing to game and when North shows a diamond suit a bid of a major to show a 45 (or 54)hand with a bid-major singleton or void may work as N has 3 ACES and can easily afford to play in 5D.He can((may)bid 4NT RKC and reach 6D.IT IS ALL TOO EASY WHEN ONE SEES BOTH HANDS.It is difficult right on the table. THANX

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-12, 12:57

1NT
... - 2 = major ask
2 = no 5 card major
... - 2 = ask, no interest in
3 = max, <4
... - 3 = minor ask
3 = 4+
... - 4 = RKCB agreeing
4NT = 0 or 3 key cards
... - 5 = K ask
6 = no kings

After 1NT - (2) Landy:
==
X = 1 or both majors
2 = nat, NF
2 = forcing with
2 = forcing with
2NT = both minors
3 = nat, NF

Playing that method this hand would start with 2.

I have to say I quite like Nigel's convention as it is effective and retains internal logic throughout.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users