Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pass, Invite or Bid Game?

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-12, 19:15

Intercities Online Team Championship. Your go.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-12, 21:07

Abstain. I would have bid 4 (or 4, if no Texas) at my first turn, so I don't have this problem.

At IMPs I suspect I will have good expected value vs any random hand partner has, and I don't want to give away anything to the defense on the auction.

Giving that I am always bidding game, 1N-xfer-2-4 is at least a mild slam try and obviously I don't have that.

I don't invite because I don't think I can intelligently get anything from partner... his trump quality is essentially irrelevant for one.

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-13, 02:15

Red there could be a case for punting game given the excellent suit and side A in a team context.

In a strong NT world, the bidding would have gone 1m-1S-1NT and now you are a very maximum 3S invite. The m partner opened would not even help considering you have xx or xxx and partner suit could be anything from xxx to AKxxx.

Green, there is less downside at missing game so 3S could be better. But partner will not have a lot of clues on how to decide exempt his HCP and maybe a 3rd trump if he has the right doubleton.

Interested in a sim facing a 2-3 S, 2-4 H, 2-5 C/D of 12-14.

#4 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-13, 05:07

I raise to game at teams.

View PostTylerE, on 2019-December-12, 21:07, said:

Abstain. I would have bid 4 (or 4, if no Texas) at my first turn, so I don't have this problem.

Texas is less usual playing a weak NT in the UK. A direct 4 will often be correct, but on this hand you don't have any holding that would benefit from being led to and surely want the opponents to lead up to any tenaces in partner's hand.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-13, 07:30

View Postapollo1201, on 2019-December-13, 02:15, said:

Red there could be a case for punting game given the excellent suit and side A in a team context.

In a strong NT world, the bidding would have gone 1m-1S-1NT and now you are a very maximum 3S invite. The m partner opened would not even help considering you have xx or xxx and partner suit could be anything from xxx to AKxxx.

Green, there is less downside at missing game so 3S could be better. But partner will not have a lot of clues on how to decide exempt his HCP and maybe a 3rd trump if he has the right doubleton.

Interested in a sim facing a 2-3 S, 2-4 H, 2-5 C/D of 12-14.

I did a SIM opposite for 4S with that hand with 12, 13 and 14 points, and had the figures 23%, 49% and 57% respectively. 19%, 34% and 68% were the respective figures for 3NT, so there is something to be said for inviting with 2NT, and if partner goes back to 3S, I will add a fourth as the ninth trump rates to be useful.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-13, 14:08

View Postlamford, on 2019-December-13, 07:30, said:

I did a SIM opposite for 4S with that hand with 12, 13 and 14 points, and had the figures 23%, 49% and 57% respectively. 19%, 34% and 68% were the respective figures for 3NT, so there is something to be said for inviting with 2NT, and if partner goes back to 3S, I will add a fourth as the ninth trump rates to be useful.

Thanks for sharing!

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-28, 18:22

3s partner is aware of our desire to play in the major rather than nt so if they choose 3n I will honor that decision. Just feel there are too few 12s that will produce game and most of those will be 3n.

#8 User is offline   ruleof15 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-January-02, 16:30

I laud you for taking it slow. A smart move when holding the doubleton ♣. The next move requires what your responses to Gerber are. Are you playing Roman, say 0-3,1-4, 2-5 or something else? If not playing Roman, then cue bid 3♥. Bidding the way you did allows for a full list of cues to be made. The 3♥ call is game forcing and slam investigating. Should opener bid 3♠ and you have no other bid than 4♠, opener should know you have a problem suit and opener must cover the other two suits. This slam will only make if opener has the ♠ ace and a running suit which you have no help other than the ♥ace. I can vision no hand with less than 17HCP taking 12 tricks unless a finesse works when missing an ace.

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-02, 18:01

View Postruleof15, on 2020-January-02, 16:30, said:

I laud you for taking it slow. A smart move when holding the doubleton ♣. The next move requires what your responses to Gerber are. Are you playing Roman, say 0-3,1-4, 2-5 or something else? If not playing Roman, then cue bid 3♥. Bidding the way you did allows for a full list of cues to be made. The 3♥ call is game forcing and slam investigating. Should opener bid 3♠ and you have no other bid than 4♠, opener should know you have a problem suit and opener must cover the other two suits. This slam will only make if opener has the ♠ ace and a running suit which you have no help other than the ♥ace. I can vision no hand with less than 17HCP taking 12 tricks unless a finesse works when missing an ace.

You're barking or can't read that it's a weak no trump

#10 User is online   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-02, 23:32

I've switched to south african texas when playing weak NT - this is a good hand for it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users