BBO Discussion Forums: Unsolved problem - GIB's leaps to slam - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unsolved problem - GIB's leaps to slam

#1 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2019-December-29, 11:39

This ‘leap to slam off 2 aces’ variation has happened dozens, if not hundreds of times, since I started playing here 2 years ago. I know there have been at least 4 occurrences within the past week, and this is just one category of a wide range of GIB problems.

With hands like this I have a choice of playing a partial or selling out to opponents when I have a cold game. In this instance I cannot play 5 diamonds. It is just not right!
I know all the regulars have seen this movie before--what I’m really looking for is a ray of hope that there is some plan for improvement, either in the form of new robots or for meaningful fixes of Gib’s more serious.

So far I’ve gotten nothing more than “this is as good as it gets", "take it or leave it, etc.” I'm not easily discouraged. Is there even a ray of hope?

https://tinyurl.com/vv5e8ps

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2019-December-29, 11:51

The jump to 5 isn't the problem?

#3 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2019-December-29, 12:20

View Postnullve, on 2019-December-29, 11:51, said:

So, what would you do, nullve?

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-29, 13:29

With GIB's system, given you're happy to play in 5 opposite no aces, why wouldn't you just bid 4NT, so that you can sign off in 5 opposite no aces?

#5 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-29, 13:31

View Postnullve, on 2019-December-29, 11:51, said:

Btw, my failure to cue bid a major suit ace that costs nothing pretty much says I don't have one, hence the leap to 5.

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2019-December-29, 14:02

View Postzhasbeen, on 2019-December-29, 12:20, said:

So, what would you do, nullve?

4N (RKC).

I know partner has 5+ S and 2+ D, and East's failure to support hearts suggests that partner also has heart length and therefore club shortness. So I don't expect any club losers and can practically count 11-13 tricks depending only on how many aces partner has.

View Postzhasbeen, on 2019-December-29, 13:31, said:

Btw, my failure to cue bid a major suit ace that costs nothing pretty much says I don't have one, hence the leap to 5.

Did 5 also deny the A? If so, what is partner supposed to believe?

#7 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-29, 15:31

View Postnullve, on 2019-December-29, 14:02, said:

4N (RKC).

I know partner has 5+ S and 2+ D, and East's failure to support hearts suggests that partner also has heart length and therefore club shortness. So I don't expect any club losers and can practically count 11-13 tricks depending only on how many aces partner has.

A major suit ace is a level lower, therefore cheaper than 4C.

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-29, 23:33

View Postnullve, on 2019-December-29, 14:02, said:

GIB is an atheist and doesn't believe in anything

#9 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-05, 09:50

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-December-29, 13:29, said:

With GIB's system, given you're happy to play in 5 opposite no aces, why wouldn't you just bid 4NT, so that you can sign off in 5 opposite no aces?

Who said I was happy? :)

Actually you make a good point. After I reasoned that if I didn't cue bid a major suit ace I didn't have one, I just jumped. Off course, this also assumes GIB would have cue bid an ace if he had one, but who can assume anything with that bundle of joy?

Bottom line: 4NT would have been too easy and I prefer a more complicated approach...ha, ha.

While I'm at, I've always wondered why you and some of the other knowledgeable posters never play in ACBL Daylong games. That's where the biggest fields are and largest number of strong players can be found. Or is it that you do play, but use a different handle than the one you post here with?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users