BBO Discussion Forums: unbalanced diamond methods - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

unbalanced diamond methods

Poll: unbalanced diamond methods (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What does your 1NT mean after responder's 1M?

1. 3 card support for partner (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. 3-suited and short in partner's suit (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. part of a transfer rebid method, showing clubs (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

4. part of a transfer rebid method, showing spades (and 1S shows clubs) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. relay - asking what? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. other - please describe (6 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Do you, and if so how do you, distinguish between 3 and 4 card support?

1. no distinction - 3 cards with a side shortage is bid like 4 (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

2. transfer to M shows 3, direct 2M shows 4 (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. initially 2M but a relay then asks 3 or 4 (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. other - please describe (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-04, 09:52

Playing a balanced or semi-balanced 1 with a 1 as the bid when either long in diamonds or short (singleton or void) in a major or clubs has been around quite a while now, and has more adopters. I am interested in how you play this.

Given that the 1 open may contain a singleton and three cards in a suit, does a 1NT rebid identify that the shortage is in responder's major, or is it used for a support bid or somethig else? If you do not identify a short suit, how would you describe a typical 3-suited hand?

If responder bids your 3 card suit do you raise, or how do you support?

It seems that there are many ways to skin this cat, but I would like to gain an idea of the more common approaches.

#2 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2020-January-06, 01:56

Sir I ,personally ,feel that it may be difficult and manage to open a 4414 hand playing this variable diamond method with 5 card major requirement. I only have heard of a LEGHORN DIAMOND system of bidding which may be useful.Our 1NT response shows 6 to10 HCP and denies 3 or more card support for openers major. With 3 card or more support we give an immediate support response depending upon the LTC count (if unbalanced) or else with a GF hand we make a 2/1 bid and show the support later. Many players do play BERGEN responses over 1 of a major.We ,personally, do not like the BERGEN responses.Some also play simple or reverse DRURY in all positions. As the opener if responder bids a suit and we have three cards we support immediately if there is no other better bid THANKS.

#3 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-06, 05:07

My preferred method is transfer responses to 1 and tranfser rebids by opener in the very common 1-1M sequences: https://www.bridgewo...ica/lesage.html

#4 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-06, 10:42

My only experience with this sort of diamond was playing against Marshall Miles and friends in the 2000s. I wasn’t impressed with their results. In general having 1d show an unbalanced hand but without showing any particular suit(s) never seemed useful to me (1d showing unbalanced *with diamonds* is a different story of course).

I guess my question is who is playing this/recommending this and what advantage do you hope to get from it?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-January-06, 12:39

View PostfromageGB, on 2020-January-04, 09:52, said:

Playing a balanced or semi-balanced 1 with a 1 as the bid when either long in diamonds or short (singleton or void) in a major or clubs has been around quite a while now, and has more adopters.

Many players sloppily describe the typical system with a natural or balanced 1 opening and a natural and unbalanced 1 opening as one with a balanced 1 opening and an unbalanced 1 opening. Is that also more or less what you're doing here, or are you literally talking about systems where one is supposed to open something other than 1 and 1 on one-suiters with 6+ clubs and 0-1 diamonds?

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-06, 14:26

In Brasov, Csaba and I played a crazy system which AWM invented, it was a very pleasant and (I think) efficient system to play. It involved among other things a 1 opening showing clubs and a 2 opening showing hearts.

1 is here unbalanced 4+, can have longer clubs. The 1NT rebid shows 6 diamonds, now responder can ask for 3-card support by bidding 2. The 2 rebid is available as an extra raise.

It does mean that the 2 rebid is a bit vague, but in a naturalish system in which you open 1 with 45 you don't have that problem.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Bende 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-06, 19:36

I have played two systems with unbalanced diamond. In one we played transfers after 1D-1M so 1NT would show clubs. 1D-1H; 2D would show three card support and 2H four card support. 1D-1S; 2D would show 4+H.

In the other 1NT is sort of like Gazzilli, showing a strong hand or long diamonds.

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2020-January-07, 05:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2020-January-06, 14:26, said:

In Brasov, Csaba and I played a crazy system which AWM invented, it was a very pleasant and (I think) efficient system to play. It involved among other things a 1 opening showing clubs and a 2 opening showing hearts.

1 is here unbalanced 4+, can have longer clubs. The 1NT rebid shows 6 diamonds, now responder can ask for 3-card support by bidding 2. The 2 rebid is available as an extra raise.

It does mean that the 2 rebid is a bit vague, but in a naturalish system in which you open 1 with 45 you don't have that problem.

I agree, I liked it a lot. Is this the only system where the inventor probably never played a single board with it IRL but two crazy cult members fans played several sessions with it?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-07, 08:05

View Postnullve, on 2020-January-06, 12:39, said:

Many players sloppily describe the typical system with a natural or balanced 1 opening and a natural and unbalanced 1 opening as one with a balanced 1 opening and an unbalanced 1 opening. Is that also more or less what you're doing here, or are you literally talking about systems where one is supposed to open something other than 1 and 1 on one-suiters with 6+ clubs and 0-1 diamonds?

No, I meant what I wrote : 1 is long, or has a shortage outside diamonds. 1 is long, or is (semi)balanced with no shortage except perhaps in diamonds. This is what I am playing at the moment, where by "long" I mean 6+ cards.

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-07, 08:06

View Postawm, on 2020-January-06, 10:42, said:

My only experience with this sort of diamond was playing against Marshall Miles and friends in the 2000s. I wasn’t impressed with their results. In general having 1d show an unbalanced hand but without showing any particular suit(s) never seemed useful to me (1d showing unbalanced *with diamonds* is a different story of course).

I guess my question is who is playing this/recommending this and what advantage do you hope to get from it?

The 1 I am playing, and have for a number of years, contains a shortage somewhere if the hand does not contain 6 diamonds, and diamonds will not be the short suit. Diamonds will be 4+ 90% of the time by this definition, and can be immediately supported as such.

I am playing this because it gives the best base for a 1 open with transfer continuations, in that life becomes much simpler when responder knows opener will have at least 2 cards in responder's major. It is also working well on the 1 hands, as responder is better able to judge where to go - particularly on weaker hands - when opener has rebid to show his hand type, which by definition has to be single-suited, both minors, or three-suited.

Currently I may not be playing the best continuations, which is why I was looking for advice/experience.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2020-January-07, 11:05

After a natural, unbalanced 1 opening, my 1 response is an invitational+ relay and the 1 response is natural and non-forcing. In that context 1 - 1; 1NT shows spades and 1 - 1; 1NT shows hearts. Since the 1 response is non-forcing, with a weak hand and 3 card support it is acceptable to pass. With a strong hand and 3 card support a 2NT raise is available although a second suit will typically be shown in preference. I would not regard this as a common approach though.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2020-January-08, 06:35

On-topic, I think the simplest thing you can play (that is not too far from optimal) is:
1-(transfer)
(complete) = 3-card support

1-1M
1NT = 3-card support.

You can even play the same 2 relay scheme over both, although with some rearrangements; perhaps you can differentiate diamond length in the relay following 1.

For instance:
1-(transfer)
(complete)-2:
2=min unbal (2NT asks)
2=min bal (2NT invites)
2=max unbal (2NT asks)

1-1M
1N-2
2=min unbal 5+ (often passed. 2NT asks)
2=min unbal 4 (2NT asks)
2=max unbal (2NT asks)
      George Carlin

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 09:39

View PostZelandakh, on 2020-January-07, 11:05, said:

After a natural, unbalanced 1 opening, my 1 response is an invitational+ relay and the 1 response is natural and non-forcing. In that context 1 - 1; 1NT shows spades and 1 - 1; 1NT shows hearts. Since the 1 response is non-forcing, with a weak hand and 3 card support it is acceptable to pass. With a strong hand and 3 card support a 2NT raise is available although a second suit will typically be shown in preference. I would not regard this as a common approach though.

That's interesting, as I had a swapped scheme of a reply of 1 as either major, and 1 as a relay with any 11+! That worked very well, but it proved too memory-heavy for my one partner who tried it, so it's now simple for all three partners.

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 09:54

View Postgwnn, on 2020-January-08, 06:35, said:

On-topic, I think the simplest thing you can play (that is not too far from optimal) is:
...1-1M
1NT = 3-card support.

Thanks, Gwnn, but I think taking up a cheap bid for the 3 card support puts too much pressure on being able to describe the hand for partner to choose the right contract when both parties are minimumish. Still mulling things over.

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2020-January-09, 16:43

View PostfromageGB, on 2020-January-09, 09:54, said:

Thanks, Gwnn, but I think taking up a cheap bid for the 3 card support puts too much pressure on being able to describe the hand for partner to choose the right contract when both parties are minimumish. Still mulling things over.

You could make the same argument re: support doubles :P

But yes I'd like to say that the presence of 3-card support is the single most important feature of such a well-defined hand (4+ diamonds, no 5cM, no 4-card support, unbalanced) and in my eyes it makes sense to use the one bid, 1NT, that our methods freed up, for this purpose. Just to be a bit of a hater/internet troll:

1) 3-suited, short in partner's suit - what?? 3-suiters are unlikely to begin with, and normally they have a cheap rebid available (1S over 1H or 2C over 1S).
2) transfer rebid, showing clubs - ok that's great but when do I accept the transfer? wouldn't I like to know whether or not my partner has 3 cards in my suit or a stiff? Sure, opener can still show a 3-card fragment, but wouldn't they like to have shown it a round earlier to have one guess less? or to have this sequence show a non-minimum? after a 1NT rebid showing 3-card support by opener, we can always stop in 2M when opener has no extras; now we'll have to guess.
3) part of a transfer rebid method, showing spades - no offence but I won't even comment on this. lol sorry
4) relay - asking what? exactly. First of all, why is an unbalanced hand relaying? And why are we asking a partner who could have anything from xxxx Axxx xx xxx to AKxx AKQxxx Jx x. Good luck relaying with that. It is a simple fact of life that relaying without a known game force is utter nonsense.
Furthermore, the expected value of a 13+, unbalanced, 4+ diamonds hand is still something like 13-16, 5 diamonds with a singleton. The expected value of "4+ hcp, 4+ hearts" is basically undefined. Responder should do the asking, not opener. So 1NT should definitely show something, not ask - and why not show the single most important piece of information that responder is interested in????
5) other - sure but then we're getting into deep waters. But once we're there, maybe we should play switched majors or similar systems. The thing is, unbalanced 1 systems are stretching our bridge intuitions, and maybe we should re-structure responder's rebids from the start. I'm sympathetic to the idea of having one of the 1M bids to start a relay sequence, but then definitely responder should be the one doing the asking.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-January-10, 09:41

View PostfromageGB, on 2020-January-07, 08:06, said:

The 1 I am playing, and have for a number of years, contains a shortage somewhere if the hand does not contain 6 diamonds, and diamonds will not be the shortsuit. Diamonds will be 4+ 90% of the time by this definition, and can be immediately supported as such.

I am playing this because it gives the best base for a 1 open with transfer continuations, in that life becomes much simpler when responder knows opener will have at least 2 cards in responder's major. It is also working well on the 1 hands, as responder is better able to judge where to go - particularly on weaker hands - when opener has rebid to show his hand type, which by definition has to be single-suited, both minors, or three-suited.

Currently I may not be playing the best continuations, which is why I was looking for advice/experience.

I solve Opener's rebid problems on minimum (= doesn't meet the rule of 25) hands as follows:

1) I open

* 1 also on minimum hands with 3154/4054/4144/4153;
* 1 also on minimum hands with 0445/1345/1435/1444.

2) I play T-Walsh and a version of switched 1M responses to 1 where

1-1 = "4+ S. May have longer H unless GF";
1-1 = "4+ H. Less than 4 S unless GF".

Because of 1) and 2) I can now play

1-1("4+ H"); 1 = "4+ S or MIN w/ 31(54)";
1-1("4+ S"); 1 = "4+ H or MIN w/ 13(54)",

which basically solves all Opener's rebid problems on minimum "3-suiters" (including 5m(431)) with shortness in Responder's major.

3) I treat minimum 22(54)/4252 hands as balanced.

4) I play 1N over 1-1M as a kind of Gazzilli that together with the natural 2 rebid takes care of all remaining minimum hands with clubs and less than 3c support for Responder's shown major. This (almost) frees up the 2 rebid, which can now be used to cover all minimum hands with 3c support.

This post has been edited by nullve: 2020-January-10, 11:35

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-10, 15:14

View Postgwnn, on 2020-January-07, 05:00, said:

I agree, I liked it a lot. Is this the only system where the inventor probably never played a single board with it IRL but two crazy cult members fans played several sessions with it?
I present Kontrast, invented in a fun day on BBO (I'm told) by Dan Korbel and his then life partner. She showed it to me and we refined it into a playable system (FCVO "playable") and took it to an Ottawa Regional for the Mid-Chart events. You can tell how long ago this is, because we could play Multi in 2 board rounds...

Interestingly enough, I think it's all Open (no +) chart legal as long as we meet the 6-board Multi rule...so at a random club game, say. There's a couple of players who complain about my regular system, that I only play it to confuse. No, it's KSU with Keri and NTO for takeout. If you want to see what I play when I do want to confuse, give me a couple weeks!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#18 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-11, 05:13

View Postgwnn, on 2020-January-09, 16:43, said:

But yes I'd like to say that the presence of 3-card support is the single most important feature of such a well-defined hand (4+ diamonds, no 5cM, no 4-card support, unbalanced) and in my eyes it makes sense to use the one bid, ...

And yes to you, I agree wholeheartedly with practically everything you say in your post, except maybe the choice of this one bid.

1) 3-suited by this definition is not uncommon at all; it is not just a pure {1444} but also a {1345} with a 5 card minor.
The problem with a cheap rebid of 2 on a 3-suiter is that it shows only a second suit and there is no way a weakish responder can bid or discover the hearts. After 1NT to show all three suits, responder can bid any of them to play, which is the advantage of that option.
The other problem is that when bidding as your cheap suit, you will be taken to be the xx55 type of 2-suiter and be completely misleading.
2) I'm thinking responder only accepts the transfer if less than invitational, and is prepared to be passed by a non-strong opener. With better than that, or no fit, responder will make some sort of break.

gwnn said:

wouldn't I like to know whether or not my partner has 3 cards in my suit or a stiff?

Of course, and I thinking opener's second bid should be the transfer to your major, showing 3 only. A relay break can then ask for a stiff.
3) I found the idea of this on the web but don't see the purpose myself - I was hoping for a comment by a practitioner.
4) 99% agree. Found this one, too, somewhere. To my way of thinking opener has to describe.
1% disagreement - I think a relay can be useful less than GF. A common example is a non-specific trial bid, another the next step after a "2-under" sort of bid, another the artificial 1 1M methods.

#19 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-11, 05:26

View Postnullve, on 2020-January-10, 09:41, said:

I solve Opener's rebid problems on minimum (= doesn't meet the rule of 25) hands as follows:

This is a very neat idea. Unfortunately too complex for me and partners, but something along these lines sounds the right way to go if you can cope with it, restructuring as gwnn said.

#20 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-11, 11:06

View Postmycroft, on 2020-January-10, 15:14, said:

She showed it to me and we refined it into a playable system (FCVO "playable") and took it to an Ottawa Regional for the Mid-Chart events. You can tell how long ago this is, because we could play Multi in 2 board rounds...

Out of curiosity, what is "FCVO" and what adaptations did you make? How do the GF relay and other NF (12+?) responses work?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users