BBO Discussion Forums: BBOalert : replacement of Full Disclosure tool - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2

BBOalert : replacement of Full Disclosure tool

#1 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2019-December-18, 08:52

I have found that playing artificial bidding systems on BBO is not practical because explaining each alerted call is time consuming and therefore frustrating. To resolve this problem, I have developed BBOalert add-on for currently used Web browsers : Firefox and Chrome.

BBOalert replaces the "Full Disclosure" tool which is no longer supported. Artificial bidding sequences can be predefined in a simple text file. Explanations entered manually during the game are recorded for future use.

The user can also define keyboard shortcuts for frequently used phrases.

This add-on is compatible with Firefox browser on Linux, Windows and Android platforms. It can be installed directly from Firefox repository using the link :

https://addons.mozil.../addon/bboalert

BBOalert is also compatible with Chrome and can be installed manually from project source code.

For more details, visit project's site :

https://github.com/stanmaz/BBOalert

I would appreciate any comments, especially constructive critics. Post your comments here or use stanmaz.git@gmail.com for direct contact.
3

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,512
  • Joined: 2014-February-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy

Posted 2019-December-18, 10:21

I haven't yet looked at it, but I applaud your initiative. I think that automatic disclosure will have an important role in the future and that BBO gave up too quickly on the idea (as distinct from the implementation).

I don't know if you have seen discussions like this one, but your thoughts would be welcome and useful there too.
0

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,710
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-December-18, 11:11

Thanks very much for taking the time to do this.

I doubt that I can give this a serious look until I'm back from my January vacation, but I fully intend to do so...
Alderaan delenda est
0

#4 User is offline   pigpenz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,449
  • Joined: 2005-April-25

Posted 2020-January-18, 14:24

I found alert helper also useful but only works in the oldest BBO.exe

Will your program work in the newer edge browsers that dont use flash, but html5?
0

#5 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-January-19, 05:05

View Postpigpenz, on 2020-January-18, 14:24, said:

I found alert helper also useful but only works in the oldest BBO.exe

Will your program work in the newer edge browsers that don't use flash, but html5?

As far as I know, Edge does not support Chrome extensions. I recommend you to use Firefox and to install BBOalert extension directly from Mozilla repository. If you have any specific problems with BBOalert, write me a mail : stanmaz.git@gmail.com
0

#6 User is offline   pigpenz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,449
  • Joined: 2005-April-25

Posted 2020-January-19, 12:39

just took a brief look at it yesterday....alert helper you had to edit the base.info with notepad++++
what it does is give you a brief example of bids and their meanings.....if you could make a basic
2/1 file that could load into notepad to use would be a great help, I am more visual than wanting to read a script.
it would make it real easy. .....In alert helper ...first thing you do is save a copy of the basic 2/1 file then rename
it to what you want so when you edit it you have it saved and resaved when you edit it some more


this is an example of their one of their files



` keep ` `-
` keep 000000 `General Resp `-
============
` keep 008000 `F-NT `Forcing NT 1 round force
` keep 008000 `2/1 `2/1 12+ hcp game force
` keep 008000 `J-2NT `13-16 hcp 4+ card fit
` keep 008000 `Splinter `Splinter shortage in bid suit
` keep 008000 `3c `Bergen raise good
` keep 008000 `3d `bergen raise distributional


123456789012345678901234567890123456789 Alerts are limited to 39 chars

` keep ` `-
` keep 000000 `1NT Responses `-
=============
` keep a95f00 `2C-stay `Maj suit Ask (stayman)
` keep a95f00 `2C-non `Maj suit Ask NO promise of 4 card Maj
` keep a95f00 `2D(h) `transfer to !H
` keep a95f00 `2H(s) `transfer to !S
` keep a95f00 `2S© `transfer to !C
` keep a95f00 `2NT(d) `transfer to !D
` keep a95f00 `3c `puppet stayman
` keep a95f00 `3d `invitational !d
` keep a95f00 `3h `3154
` keep a95f00 `3s `1354
123456789012345678901234567890123456789 Alerts are limited to 39 chars
0

#7 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-January-20, 16:10

View Postpigpenz, on 2020-January-19, 12:39, said:

just took a brief look at it yesterday....alert helper you had to edit the base.info with notepad++++
what it does is give you a brief example of bids and their meanings.....if you could make a basic
2/1 file that could load into notepad to use would be a great help, I am more visual than wanting to read a script.
it would make it real easy. .....In alert helper ...first thing you do is save a copy of the basic 2/1 file then rename
it to what you want so when you edit it you have it saved and resaved when you edit it some more


this is an example of their one of their files



` keep ` `-
` keep 000000 `General Resp `-
============
` keep 008000 `F-NT `Forcing NT 1 round force
` keep 008000 `2/1 `2/1 12+ hcp game force
` keep 008000 `J-2NT `13-16 hcp 4+ card fit
` keep 008000 `Splinter `Splinter shortage in bid suit
` keep 008000 `3c `Bergen raise good
` keep 008000 `3d `bergen raise distributional


123456789012345678901234567890123456789 Alerts are limited to 39 chars

` keep ` `-
` keep 000000 `1NT Responses `-
=============
` keep a95f00 `2C-stay `Maj suit Ask (stayman)
` keep a95f00 `2C-non `Maj suit Ask NO promise of 4 card Maj
` keep a95f00 `2D(h) `transfer to !H
` keep a95f00 `2H(s) `transfer to !S
` keep a95f00 `2S© `transfer to !C
` keep a95f00 `2NT(d) `transfer to !D
` keep a95f00 `3c `puppet stayman
` keep a95f00 `3d `invitational !d
` keep a95f00 `3h `3154
` keep a95f00 `3s `1354
123456789012345678901234567890123456789 Alerts are limited to 39 chars

AlertHelper and BBOalert are complementary. AlertHelper serves the same purpose as AutoHotKey (Windows) or AutoKey (Linux) : text expansion or/and shortcuts. The difference is that AlertHelper allows to make the selection graphically instead of using keystrokes. Depending on the bidding context, the user has still to make the right choice, depending on bidding context, and paste the result into the BBO page.

BBOalert is a fully automated alert system instead. It remembers alerted calls and their bidding context. Next time, in the identical situation, the call will be automatically alerted without user's intervention. It saves time because you alert only once. You can also start with a predefined set of basic bidding sequences and let the software add alerts as they come during the game. Instead of editing the data file by hand, you can use BBO's "Teaching Table" option to simulate bidding context and to generate data.

BBOalert is a tool for people using an artificial bidding system like ours : in our system there is no one single non-alertable opening. Frequently, only the final bid is natural. By using BBOalert I avoid to repeat the same story again and again. As the data file has a very high degree of readability, it can be used to document the entire bidding system in all details. We use a cloud based collaborative editor (Google Docs) with the guarantee that me and my partner use exactly the same data in real-time.

As I mentioned : I am willing to discuss about more details through e-mail (stanmaz.git@gmail.com).
0

#8 User is offline   pigpenz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,449
  • Joined: 2005-April-25

Posted 2020-March-14, 12:01

i have gone back to using Alert Helper
it works fine you just need to place cursor in alert box click on bidding definitions in it
and click and it places....so that still works
0

#9 User is offline   DJNeill 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 417
  • Joined: 2003-September-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hillsboro, OR USA
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2020-March-15, 03:20

I was going to start it up, but noticed it does not have vulnerability support (different meaning depending on the four none/us/them/both vulnerabilities) - I'd be a rarer user though to play a system that differs in vulnerability, like variable notrump.
0

#10 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-March-15, 12:06

View PostDJNeill, on 2020-March-15, 03:20, said:

I was going to start it up, but noticed it does not have vulnerability support (different meaning depending on the four none/us/them/both vulnerabilities) - I'd be a rarer user though to play a system that differs in vulnerability, like variable notrump.

With the actual version 2.3, the vulnerability dependent openings are supported. Not explicitly, but by code blocks selectable during the game. See : https://github.com/s...aster/README.md : Optional Code.

See sample data : https://github.com/s.../Simple2016.txt for variable 1D/1NT opening (10-12 vs 13-15)

Selectable code blocks can be used also to implement different overcall options depending on the bidding systems used by the opponents.

Automatic selection of code depending on vulnerability is planned.

BBOalert is in constant evolution and. I would appreciate your suggestions or critics by mail : stanmaz.git@gmail.com
2

#11 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-March-18, 02:58

View PostDJNeill, on 2020-March-15, 03:20, said:

I was going to start it up, but noticed it does not have vulnerability support (different meaning depending on the four none/us/them/both vulnerabilities) - I'd be a rarer user though to play a system that differs in vulnerability, like variable notrump.

Actual version 2.4 supports vulnerability dependent openings
1

#12 User is offline   jwccsllc 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 2012-February-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mercer Island, WA
  • Interests:Bridge, Auto Racing

Posted 2020-March-19, 20:28

View Poststanmaz, on 2019-December-18, 08:52, said:

I have found that playing artificial bidding systems on BBO is not practical because explaining each alerted call is time consuming and therefore frustrating. To resolve this problem, I have developed BBOalert add-on for currently used Web browsers : Firefox and Chrome.

BBOalert replaces the "Full Disclosure" tool which is no longer supported. Artificial bidding sequences can be predefined in a simple text file. Explanations entered manually during the game are recorded for future use.

The user can also define keyboard shortcuts for frequently used phrases.

This add-on is compatible with Firefox browser on Linux, Windows and Android platforms. It can be installed directly from Firefox repository using the link :

https://addons.mozil.../addon/bboalert

BBOalert is also compatible with Chrome and can be installed manually from project source code.

For more details, visit project's site :

https://github.com/stanmaz/BBOalert

I would appreciate any comments, especially constructive critics. Post your comments here or use stanmaz.git@gmail.com for direct contact.


I started looking at this today under Chrome on OS X 10.9.5 after cloning the BBOalert from github. It looks very interesting as I normally play systems that requires many alerts. An unfortunate side effect though is that every time I try to go to https://www.bridgebase.com/forums displays a message then restarts to the bridgebase login screen. This happens early in the BBOalert.js when it checks to insure lang=en in the URL. I think this would work if it scanned the URL for ?lang=en or no ?lang= at all.

I turned the extension off so I could get back to the forums. I'll brush up on my JavaScript to try using a Regular Expression test here instead.

Bill
1

#13 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-March-20, 01:04

View Postjwccsllc, on 2020-March-19, 20:28, said:

I started looking at this today under Chrome on OS X 10.9.5 after cloning the BBOalert from github. It looks very interesting as I normally play systems that requires many alerts. An unfortunate side effect though is that every time I try to go to https://www.bridgebase.com/forums displays a message then restarts to the bridgebase login screen. This happens early in the BBOalert.js when it checks to insure lang=en in the URL. I think this would work if it scanned the URL for ?lang=en or no ?lang= at all.

I turned the extension off so I could get back to the forums. I'll brush up on my JavaScript to try using a Regular Expression test here instead.

Bill

Thank you for your remark. I agree with it and I will solve this, rather cosmetic, problem with the next release. I have already started to develop support for a multilingual BBO interface, but until now it had low priority. Temporarily I can propose different easy workarounds :
- Use BBO in a private window, where by default, BBOalert is disabled
- Enable BBOalert only when needed
- Use two different browsers with and without BBOalert installed
On the project page, the Readme.md file has been updated in this sense.

As I emphasized, every feedback is welcome. In most cases solutions are easy to implement when the problems are known.
0

#14 User is offline   jwccsllc 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 2012-February-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mercer Island, WA
  • Interests:Bridge, Auto Racing

Posted 2020-March-23, 15:55

View Poststanmaz, on 2020-March-20, 01:04, said:

Thank you for your remark. I agree with it and I will solve this, rather cosmetic, problem with the next release. I have already started to develop support for a multilingual BBO interface, but until now it had low priority. Temporarily I can propose different easy workarounds :
- Use BBO in a private window, where by default, BBOalert is disabled
- Enable BBOalert only when needed
- Use two different browsers with and without BBOalert installed
On the project page, the Readme.md file has been updated in this sense.

As I emphasized, every feedback is welcome. In most cases solutions are easy to implement when the problems are known.


I have hacked the BBOalert.js file to handle this here. I am working with a git clone of your site so can easily send a patch for your review.

So far I'm working on creating an initial spec file for upload for the primary version of 2/1 I play with a couple of regular partners which are fairly complex (weak NT with DONT runouts, Hardy Major Suit Raises, Mohan, ...). I haven't played on-line since starting to do this so haven't been able to test to see what various things do, in particular how the various 'Option' sections work.

Bill <jwccsllc@me.com>
0

#15 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-March-24, 11:41

View Postjwccsllc, on 2020-March-23, 15:55, said:

I have hacked the BBOalert.js file to handle this here. I am working with a git clone of your site so can easily send a patch for your review.

So far I'm working on creating an initial spec file for upload for the primary version of 2/1 I play with a couple of regular partners which are fairly complex (weak NT with DONT runouts, Hardy Major Suit Raises, Mohan, ...). I haven't played on-line since starting to do this so haven't been able to test to see what various things do, in particular how the various 'Option' sections work.

Bill <jwccsllc@me.com>

I have published the new version BBOalert 2.5. The problems that you have mentioned are solved :
- multilingual BBO user interface is supported and using BBO in English is no more required
- BBOalert is restricted to www.bridgebase.com/v3 and there no more conflict with other BBO options : myhands and forums
- errors messages (ad blocker and split screen mode) are shown on the WEB page and no more by alert boxes

To get familiar with different features :
- import sample.txt file from the project page into BBO/BBOalert
- simulate bidding using Practice/Start a Teaching table
1

#16 User is offline   lemonmunch 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 2020-March-24

Posted 2020-March-26, 08:25

View Poststanmaz, on 2020-March-24, 11:41, said:

I have published the new version BBOalert 2.5. The problems that you have mentioned are solved :
- multilingual BBO user interface is supported and using BBO in English is no more required
- BBOalert is restricted to www.bridgebase.com/v3 and there no more conflict with other BBO options : myhands and forums
- errors messages (ad blocker and split screen mode) are shown on the WEB page and no more by alert boxes

To get familiar with different features :
- import sample.txt file from the project page into BBO/BBOalert
- simulate bidding using Practice/Start a Teaching table


Hi Stan, I have just started to use BBOAlert and it is working well.
I am not at this time using Options code, but the blank space on the left hand side of screen is not reclaimed.
Is there a way to reclaim the space for the rest of my BBO and still use BBOalert?
I am using Firefox with your extension.
Thanks for developing this helpful system.
0

#17 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-March-26, 14:39

View Postlemonmunch, on 2020-March-26, 08:25, said:

Hi Stan, I have just started to use BBOAlert and it is working well.
I am not at this time using Options code, but the blank space on the left hand side of screen is not reclaimed.
Is there a way to reclaim the space for the rest of my BBO and still use BBOalert?
I am using Firefox with your extension.
Thanks for developing this helpful system.

With BBOalert 2.6 the problem is solved. The options view can be toggled.
0

#18 User is offline   vwang1111 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 2020-March-27

Posted 2020-March-29, 15:26

I really like the idea for this tool. Really wish the full disclosure tool with native integration is available though.

I see the tool is only usable on the v3 website. Is it also available to use for the currelease7 website? Really dislike the v3 interface.

Also wondering if there's any easy shortcut or sample file available for the GIB robot's bidding system. As a beginner and practicing/getting used to the solitaire GIB robot bidding, it would be helpful if this was available in native play. Or can I just play a bunch of games on the robot and have each alert be recorded?

Thanks so much! It's a really cool tool!
0

#19 User is offline   shevek 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 697
  • Joined: 2006-September-29
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2020-April-19, 00:04

Stan, this will be a great service.
First thought is to get you paid to do this. It rates to be very useful to me and others.

Some years ago I keyed our relay system into Full Disclosure. A lot of cut and paste but it still took a while.
The BSS file has 5000 lines of text. This partly because the method varies quite a bit in 3rd & 4th seats and we included a lot of competitive auctions.

Anyway, I installed BBOalert easily enough in Chrome, copied that BSS file to the clipboard, sent it to partner who did likewise and logged into the current web version/v3. To my pleasant surprise, things seems to work pretty much as advertised, after we clicked Yes to confirm bids.

Opponents saw the meanings of all our calls. One small issue was that some of the FD explanations I had keyed were quite long, ran on to a second line in FD. BBOAlert couldn't display them, they went to the chat line instead. Had to remember to send them.
I might edit the bbs file to make them shorter.

Noticed a few errors. When partner opened 1D in 2nd seat, the 3/4 seat explanation popped up, even though the continuations were correct. Anyway, early days.
0

#20 User is offline   stanmaz 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 2019-December-18

Posted 2020-April-19, 05:38

View Postshevek, on 2020-April-19, 00:04, said:

Stan, this will be a great service.
First thought is to get you paid to do this. It rates to be very useful to me and others.

Some years ago I keyed our relay system into Full Disclosure. A lot of cut and paste but it still took a while.
The BSS file has 5000 lines of text. This partly because the method varies quite a bit in 3rd & 4th seats and we included a lot of competitive auctions.

Anyway, I installed BBOalert easily enough in Chrome, copied that BSS file to the clipboard, sent it to partner who did likewise and logged into the current web version/v3. To my pleasant surprise, things seems to work pretty much as advertised, after we clicked Yes to confirm bids.

Opponents saw the meanings of all our calls. One small issue was that some of the FD explanations I had keyed were quite long, ran on to a second line in FD. BBOAlert couldn't display them, they went to the chat line instead. Had to remember to send them.
I might edit the bbs file to make them shorter.

Noticed a few errors. When partner opened 1D in 2nd seat, the 3/4 seat explanation popped up, even though the continuations were correct. Anyway, early days.

I am pleased that you are satisfied with the BBOalert tool. It is for me the best reward.

I advise you to :
- install BBOalert on Firefox for automatic updates. Technically, it should not be a problem to install and to use FF dedicated to BBOalert.
- join the BBOalert users on Facebook : https://www.facebook...06384146770707/ to report issues. Concerning the issue with the 3rd seat, I need to simulate the situation. Please send me your BSS data file and the link to the deal (http://www.bridgebase.com/myhands/) where the error occurred. You can do it by mail stanmaz.git@gmail.com but I would prefer Facebook. This way other users will be informed. With the growing number of users it is the most efficient communication channel.

You do not have to shorten the explication text. In the new version 2.10 the chat message will be sent to the opponents automatically together with the alert. 2.10 will be released very soon.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. Google