BBO Discussion Forums: Bid this hand! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this hand!

Poll: Bid this hand! (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you bid after 3D as West?

1. 3H (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 4S (6 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   lhrljr 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-December-05, 08:29

Recently I had played a pickup game and was dealt the following hand as West in first seat. Scoring is matchpoints.

Here it seems to me that there are 3 options that I can possibly choose from: 3 as some kind of help suit invite, or 3/4 to play.

I had decided to take the low road of 3, and ended up missing game. Below is the full deal.

I was wondering what you guys would choose to bid after East's 3 bid and why, as well as whether East could/should have done something differently to help our side find game. Thanks a lot everyone :)

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2019-December-05, 09:52

4 spades seems quite normal you have a singleton and two aces. not saying it's always going to make, but yeah I think most would bid 4S in their sleep to be honest opposite a 4 card limit raise.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is online   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-05, 12:06

For a more objective answer, you should hold back on showing the hand until people have voted. :)

But I think I would bid 4S - even without the double-dummy hint. My hand looks rather nice once the fit is found.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-05, 17:00

I was told that when you have a singleton, you should accept such invites except if the singleton is the reason that led you to open.

The hand is a very good 12 HCP: 2 A, a combined KJ, a singleton. Even at MPs, I accept. Especially facing a partner who seems to be more on the conservative side. I guess some E would impose game with that hand.

Last, I am not sure however that 3H is a help suit for H, it is the only step before 3S.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-05, 17:56

If you open a soundish "rule of 20" or so, East has a game force, not a limit bid. This is a very good 11-counts with all points in the long suits, and no jacks. With 4-card support the small doubleton is worth about 2 HCPs.

On the other hand, if you open fairly light (so that West would still have opened if A had been the queen), then West has enough to accept the invite. The singleton has extra weight when you have a 9-card fit, and two aces plus a king is above-average honour composition for suit contracts.

If you have a very sound style so that West's hand is an absolute minimum, then maybe 3 is ok, but otherwise West can always bid 3. Discuss with p what this means. It is the only bid available below 3 so maybe it should be a general game try, but on the other hand, p has shown a limit bid so it's a bit silly to ask if he has a half a point more than what he has promised. On this hand, it would be nice if it was a natural game try, but that is maybe not the most useful definition of the bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-06, 04:40

Hi,

3H.

I am better than min, so 3S is not an Option, but do I have enough for game, espesially at MP?
My answer would be no, but …

With Kind regards
Marlowe

PS: Seeing the East Hand, East is max. for the 3D call, he will accept.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users