• You cannot reply to this topic

Greco-Hampson Precision bidding tree book available

#1 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2019-November-28, 11:15

Hi all,
Greco-Hampson Precision, a pro implementation of SMP (with the 1C-1H denying 5+S and 1C-1S as 5+S 8+ HCP) is now available at bridgewithdan.com.

Thanks,
Dan

#2 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-05, 14:53

How much of a change is it compared to your SMP book, Dan? Based from your other publications, I guess there's more details further into the auction.

Just from your brief presentation I don't quite get the rationale of the 1C-1H and 1C-1S bids. To me it makes more sense if 1C-1H denied 5 hearts, and 1C-1S showed 8+ with 5 hearts (transfer positive style).

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-05, 18:16

The basis, as I understand it, is that a 1 response to 1 is artificial and shows 8-11 points, any distribution. 1 in the basic system shows 12+ points and 5+ spades. Also 2 of a minor responses show similarly 12+ points and 5+ in the suit. 1NT is 12+ balanced, and 2 is any 4441, 12+ points.

The refinement described above apparently allows better subsequent auctions, but I don't remember the details. They, or at least a version of them, are in Dan's Standard Modern Precision, though.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-05, 19:17

It's just that if you were to switch the meanings and had natural continuations, then

1C-1S (promising hearts), you'd have
.....1N-bal/asking
.....2C-clubs
.....2D-diamonds
.....2H-fit
.....2S-spades

and there is much less room after 1C-1S, 2S showing spades than there is after 1C-1S, 2H showing hearts.

#5 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2019-December-05, 19:49

Well, playing Transfer Precision and transfer follow-ons, the 1 opener can discover responder's distribution without opener showing his suit (unless he has a 1-loser suit and slam interest). Useful Space principle.

I like their response of 1NT showing s.

Even better, use 1NT for 2 or 3 suited distributions, unlikely to play in NT.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#6 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2019-December-05, 20:56

View PostKungsgeten, on 2019-December-05, 14:53, said:

How much of a change is it compared to your SMP book, Dan? Based from your other publications, I guess there's more details further into the auction.

Just from your brief presentation I don't quite get the rationale of the 1C-1H and 1C-1S bids. To me it makes more sense if 1C-1H denied 5 hearts, and 1C-1S showed 8+ with 5 hearts (transfer positive style).

It's not so much a change but a peek at how you might play it with a regular partner after you are used to the basics (depending on what your starting point is, that could be the distant past). You want to add parts or a whole section that is played by... the best! The SMP book was a simplification (except for the add-on sections) and this goes all the way to the end and fills out whatever you may want to add that is proven to be successful.

Thanks,
Dan

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users