BBO Discussion Forums: Argine coming soon? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Argine coming soon? Companies merged scrap GIB?

#1 User is offline   Strangway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-November-18, 16:02

I am assuming now that Funbridge and BBO are merged there must be plans to replace the antiquated and unsupported GIB with Argine?

If I'm correct in this assumption what sort of timeframe are we lookint at?

Or maybe there are plans to move F2F bridge onto Funbridge and consolidate the platforms?

BBO could also really benefit from the personal and team ladders that are available on Funbridge.

It would be great to see a vision statement about these matters as the merger is almost a year old now.

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-November-19, 03:12

We have been asking the same for a year now, so don't hold your breath.
My impression is that BBO have no strategy or plan - all I have read here about Funbridge is that initially there was no intention to integrate platforms and later that BBO cherry picked a programmer but to work on BBO itself, not on migration of argine.

#3 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-November-19, 09:23

People who don't work in programming assume that it should be relatively easy to do something like this in the Bridgebase application:

load (argine)
insert (argine) where = (gib)
delete (gib)

It's rarely the case that you can just plug/play or merge code from different applications or developers. I hadn't heard of the merger (that's an interesting tidbit), but it's not surprising to me that it would take a year or more to figure out the strategy around both products and longer to execute on merging them. I'm sure Funbridge and BBO both do/did fine, but I'm still guessing they don't employ hoardes of coders who can just take on a retrofit project out of the blue.

#4 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-November-19, 12:17

View PostHeavyDluxe, on 2019-November-19, 09:23, said:

People who don't work in programming assume that it should be relatively easy to do something like this in the Bridgebase application:

load (argine)
insert (argine) where = (gib)
delete (gib)

It's rarely the case that you can just plug/play or merge code from different applications or developers. I hadn't heard of the merger (that's an interesting tidbit), but it's not surprising to me that it would take a year or more to figure out the strategy around both products and longer to execute on merging them. I'm sure Funbridge and BBO both do/did fine, but I'm still guessing they don't employ hoardes of coders who can just take on a retrofit project out of the blue.

I've done enough professional software develoment and project management to know how much work is involved, and I agree that simply migrating Argine to BBO would already be a significant task, although nothing compared to a merger of the two platforms. It's obvious that neither organisation had more than a few software people and that BBO was already hard pushed before losing Fred, and of course as long as the two platforms do remain separate there are few if any synergies.

I have less sympathy with the lack of a declared strategy, a year is a long time to make a plan for a small company.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-November-20, 10:12

FYI, it's something that has been discussed internally. If and when it might happen is still open.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 17:50

View Postpescetom, on 2019-November-19, 12:17, said:

I have less sympathy with the lack of a declared strategy, a year is a long time to make a plan for a small company.

I disagree.

BBO is fairly transparent but it doesn't mean that we should expect them to disclose everything.

If there were some 3rd party software providers that depend on an BBO API, then they would have a reason to expect upcoming changes disclosed in advance. But as ordinary users we don't need to know anything in advance.

It may not be in BBO's interest to tell us everything, and as long as they haven't made up their mind it would only confuse us.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-November-22, 08:05

Of course they have no obligation to tell us and they do well to avoid confusing messages.
OTOH it's wise for a company to have a publicly declared strategy and if they are uncertain we might even be able to help.
There is depth of business experience in the people who write here.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users