BBO Discussion Forums: Can someone please guide me through understanding the WBF Standard? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can someone please guide me through understanding the WBF Standard?

#1 User is offline   rustysnow 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-November-18, 09:59

Hi all, I am quite a beginner in terms of understanding how people fill up convention cards and hence would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me out! I am participating in my first bridge competition in real life (exciting times hohoho) and this individual tournament uses the WBF Standard as the standardised system across all players. The aspect I am trying to understand is focusing on the left side of the card (unfortunately I have not learnt or mastered how to insert photos into these forum posts).

Under the "1NT Overcalls (2nd/4th live; responses; reopening) it says 2nd position= 16-18 and responses are "bid as 1NT opening" followed by a "Natural" on the next row. I do not understand the significance of the word "Natural" when it has already said "bid as 1NT opening", so if anyone could educate me that will be great! It then says 4th position= 10-14 and responses: Natural. I'm supposed to infer it as a balancing 1NT and that systems are off, in contrast to when overcalling in 2nd position, amirite? Also, what does "4th live" exactly mean then?

The other aspect I have troubles understanding is the section below, named "Jump Overcalls: (Styles; responses; unusual NT). It is written "2-Suit:- 1-2=5/5". I thought it was describing distribution, but is there not Michaels over 1? Are they saying its a weak jump overcall??? Also, it states, "Reopen: Cue=any good two suiter. 2NT=19-21". Is it referring to original opener cueing the overcall bid to show good two suiter, if I am understanding correctly?

Sorry for being rather naggy here, especially to those who are certainly more experienced and trying to help this rookie here. Hopefully, with all your help and good wishes, I will be able to perform to the best of my abilities during my upcoming competition!

Have a nice day, Russell

#2 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-November-18, 10:32

Relax and try to enjoy.

I suspect that there are two choices after a 1N overcall, "system on" is fairly common

and the second line is likely another option for a player. Many beginners do not use

transfers bids over 1N. Many advanced/expert players do not use transfers when they

play a weak NT.

Over a balancing 1NT, many use 2C* as a range asking bid(since 10-14 is a wide range)

I use 2C* as stayman style with higher bids showing both the HCP range and major holdings.

Some play 1C-2C as natural and 1C-2D* as Michaels.

Standard meaning for an opening suit bid, an overcall and

opener bidding 1N shows 18-20 if a 1N opening shows 15-17.

If a 1N opening would be 16-18, a reopening 1N=19-21

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-November-18, 10:39

View Postrustysnow, on 2019-November-18, 09:59, said:

Hi all, I am quite a beginner in terms of understanding how people fill up convention cards and hence would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me out! I am participating in my first bridge competition in real life (exciting times hohoho) and this individual tournament uses the WBF Standard as the standardised system across all players. The aspect I am trying to understand is focusing on the left side of the card (unfortunately I have not learnt or mastered how to insert photos into these forum posts).

I assume this is the card you're talking about:

http://www.worldbrid...tandardCard.pdf

Under the "1NT Overcalls (2nd/4th live; responses; reopening) it says 2nd position= 16-18 and responses are "bid as 1NT opening" followed by a "Natural" on the next row. I do not understand the significance of the word "Natural" when it has already said "bid as 1NT opening", so if anyone could educate me that will be great! It then says 4th position= 10-14 and responses: Natural. I'm supposed to infer it as a balancing 1NT and that systems are off, in contrast to when overcalling in 2nd position, amirite? Also, what does "4th live" exactly mean then?

I think it may be a formatting error, and they meant "Responses: Bid as 1NT opening natural". But systems are off over balancing 1NT.

No idea what "live" refers to.

The other aspect I have troubles understanding is the section below, named "Jump Overcalls: (Styles; responses; unusual NT). It is written "2-Suit:- 1-2=5/5". I thought it was describing distribution, but is there not Michaels over 1? Are they saying its a weak jump overcall???

Yes, there's Michaels over 1, it's on the Supplementary Sheet. So I don't understand 1-2, either.

Also, it states, "Reopen: Cue=any good two suiter. 2NT=19-21". Is it referring to original opener cueing the overcall bid to show good two suiter, if I am understanding correctly?

I think they're talking about bidding in the balancing seat when LHO has opened. So (1X)-P-(P)-3X is a good 2-suiter, (1X)-P-(P)-2NT is balanced 19-21 (double followed by NT would show 15-18, since balancing 1NT is 10-14).

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-November-18, 10:52

To show how simple this is I'm going to disagree with spotlight7, which means it is not simple at all :)

I think the 'Natural' in the second line of the one no trump overcalls refers to the 4th live position. '4th live' means when you are in fourth position but are an unpassed hand and the auction has gone:

(1X) Pass (1Y) 1NT

In this situation it is common for 1NT to show a balanced 15-18 points with responses being natural: no transfers or Stayman (as you might want to play in two clubs) and you can cue bid the opponent's suit as a force. It is common to play some system after a balancing one no trump showing 10-14 points, but it seems that you will be playing natural and have to cue bid if you hold a good hand that could not act earlier.

For jump overcalls, the card says you are not playing standard Michaels over a 1 opening bid, instead 2 is being used to show the majors. This is a popular treatment especially where the 1 opening bid can be short as two clubs. BUT as barmar has pointed out, there is an inconsistency in the WBF Standard Card with respect to whether they use Michaels or not over one club. I suspect the intention was to use Michaels normally but 2 as majors over a short club when that is faced. I suspect for an event where everyone is playing the WBF Standard Card, then 2 will be Michaels as the one club opener promises at least three clubs.

The reopening cue bid refers to an auction such as:

(1) Pass (Pass) 2

where the fourth hand cue bid shows any strong two-suited hand. You might be surprised how many people have not discussed this auction.

Hope this helps and enjoy playing.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users