• You cannot reply to this topic

What is this double?

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-November-21, 02:37

MP Pairs

Four-card Majors, Weak NT.

You choose to open 1 (others might make a different choice playing four-card majors).

(1) What is North's double? is it take-out (responsive)?
(2) What hand types are you expecting for South? Will South always be 4-4 in the majors or can south be 4-3? Or single-suited and too weak to bid at the two level?

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-November-21, 04:46

I would estimate that partner has 4-4 or 4-3 in the majors and a minimum of 1.5 quick tricks here. With 4441 shape I would not be bidding again with the North hand: it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. If partner has extras he can double again or bid 4 if you pass.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 06:37

It's takeout, but it could be big and essentially balanced.

Partner can have any of the hand types listed, but should have at least one 4+ card major so I just make the bid and don't expect to contribute again to this auction unless opps bid on and/or partner forces me.

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 07:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-November-21, 06:37, said:

It's takeout, but it could be big and essentially balanced.

Partner can have any of the hand types listed, but should have at least one 4+ card major so I just make the bid and don't expect to contribute again to this auction unless opps bid on and/or partner forces me.

That was my thinking - but I was nervous that partner might misinterpret as penalties (she has since said that she would have taken as take-out). Mea Culpa

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 07:49

View PostTramticket, on 2019-November-21, 07:44, said:

That was my thinking - but I was nervous that partner might misinterpret as penalties (she has since said that she would have taken as take-out). Mea Culpa

If it is, it's a big balanced type hand not a trump stack, you will rarely have more than 3 trumps here, and if you do, partner will be void and will have primary diamond support or be 5-5 in the majors.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-November-21, 08:00

Tramticket 'MP PairsFour-card Majors, Weak NT.You choose to open 1 (others might make a different choice playing four-card majors).(1) What is North's double? is it take-out (responsive)?(2) What hand types are you expecting for South? Will South always be 4-4 in the majors or can south be 4-3? Or single-suited and too weak to bid at the two level?'
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1. Some partnerships agree that South's double shows both majors but, like FelicityR, I feel that he might be "fixed" with a balanced hand, unsuitable for anything else
2. Over West's 4 raise, IMO, North's major suit holdings rule out Pass and double. Instead, I feel that North should bid a major. Although, if South has the dreaded balanced hand, this might not be a success :(

#7 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 08:30

I'm one of the oddballs that play it as showing both majors, so we would "raise" spades here if he doubles or bids again.

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 08:44

View Postnige1, on 2019-November-21, 08:00, said:

1. Some partnerships agree than South's double shows both majors but, like FelicityR, I feel that he might be "fixed" with a balanced hand, unsuitable for anything else
2. Over West's 4 raise, IMO, North's major suit holdings rule out Pass and double. Instead, I feel that North should bid a major. Although, if South has the dreaded balanced hand, this might not be a success :(

Partner actually held a weak hand with spades (and four-card diamond support). I tried 4 and partner "corrected" to 5 - which has to fail since I am missing three aces. Four spades is making.

#9 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 08:48

View Postpescetom, on 2019-November-21, 08:30, said:

I'm one of the oddballs that play it as showing both majors, so we would "raise" spades here if he doubles or bids again.

What do you do with values, but only one four-card major? Presumably you play that 1, (2), 2 and 1, (2), 2 show four-card suits?

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-November-21, 16:56

I don't believe North's double shows 4-4 majors. You will rarely have that as opener, especially when playing 4-card majors.

It would be nice if double shows this specific hand but we are not playing adjective bridge.

A balanced hand (and, hence, extra values per the weak NT) is what North's double will typically show. With (43)15 I think opener might chose to bid his major suit.

With this hand I would pass, and pull partner's next double to 4. Sometimes responder has a 4342 and has a difficult to choice over 4, as 4 may suggest a 5-card suit.

Then again, responder might just bid 4 at his second turn with the 4342 hand. Assuming that 4 is forcing, North now bids 4.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users